What does the MacWorld keynote decision mean for Jobs’ future?

Poll: Does Steve Jobs not giving keynote at MacWorld signify:
Total Votes: 57
He is going to reduce his role.
He is on his way out.
Nothing. His role will be unchanged.

Posted: 21 December 2008 01:11 AM

Comments welcome.
    Poll didn’t show up on preview. If it doesn’t post please reply with clarification on how to post a poll.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

• Posted: 21 December 2008 06:20 AM #1

Apple continues to grow in all measures of performance. The coverage by the media is constant. Sort of like the weather reports, always there, constantly changing and nothing to be done about it .

• Posted: 21 December 2008 07:57 PM #2

My magic 8 ball said it best!

Reply hazy, try again

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 22 December 2008 12:25 PM #3

IMO Apple has reached the point where Jobs feels he only needs to do the stuff he wants to do. Yes to overseeing new products, no to public appearances. Yes to guiding the ship, no to gladhanding and being the public face of the company. This will result in a net reduction in his duties and visibility. It will also result in an improvement in his stress levels, overall health, and workload.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 22 December 2008 12:37 PM #4

From time to time the sponge feels compelled to write and post.

SJ never felt that comfortable doing those MacWorld presentations.  I don’t see him as a dynamic speaker.  Unfortunately there is no one on the Apple executive team that is good at presenting products.  They are all mostly computer geeks or accountants.wink  So these announcements were not that big in my book.  They did get good press coverage, and they will continue to do so when he speaks again.

He now has the freedom to talk only when he feels it is needed.  This will mean that when Apple announces something big it will happen when he speaks, therefore increasing the importance of the product.

Posted: 22 December 2008 12:50 PM #5

BillH - 21 December 2008 11:57 PM

Reply hazy, try again

Maybe you asked the wrong question. You can try again here.  :grinsanta:

• Posted: 22 December 2008 04:32 PM #6

Instead of Apple pulling out of MacWorld magazines trade show completely, as a favour they decided to have a low key appearence with no presentation instead. Why would Steve bother going along? And what has this got to do with Steve’s future? Apple don’t need trade shows now, they have their own huge events. Heck, even their Infinite Loop presentations are watched and rerported on throughout the world.

• Posted: 22 December 2008 05:08 PM #7

chartguy - 22 December 2008 04:50 PM
    BillH - 21 December 2008 11:57 PM

Reply hazy, try again

Maybe you asked the wrong question. You can try again here.  :grinsanta:

Funny you should bring that up.  I borrowed one of the questions from Ghostbusters and enquired as to whether Steve is a god.  The reply…It is Certain.  So there you go.  :grinsanta:

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 22 December 2008 06:13 PM #8

zebrum - 22 December 2008 08:32 PM

... even their Infinite Loop presentations are watched and rerported on throughout the world.

Recall Apple is building a new campus?  Would there be a bigger room for public presentations and a small expo?

I wish Apple is in the midst of transiting to a non-SJ CEO.

[ Edited: 22 December 2008 06:15 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 22 December 2008 09:01 PM #9

Mace - 22 December 2008 10:13 PM
    zebrum - 22 December 2008 08:32 PM

... even their Infinite Loop presentations are watched and rerported on throughout the world.

Recall Apple is building a new campus?  Would there be a bigger room for public presentations and a small expo?

I wish Apple is in the midst of transiting to a non-SJ CEO.

I agree. This is a bad comparison, but I’ll post it anyways: Martha Stewart. When she was convicted she was required to resign as CEO but she has remained as Chief Creative Officer. This sort of role change could be very positive for SJ and Apple shareholders. Provided the street is assured it is not over health matters but to more effectively utilize SJ’s time at what he does best.

• Posted: 23 December 2008 02:05 AM #10

Steve will not be CEO by the end of 2009, the writing is on the wall.  I have tried to ignore it and brush off the rumors, but pulling out of mac world was the final straw.  I had to step back and evaluate as an independent investor, rather than someone that has 75% of their net worth in AAPL.  If he was healthy he would not be side stepping this event as well as the past few presentations.

Steve is a competitive guy and Apple is his child.  This is probably the most exciting point in the history of the company, there is no way he would be passing on the limelight and handing off the torch right now if he was healthy.  He is within striking distance of Microsoft and is in the process of finishing off all other PC makers.  I wont be putting anymore money into Apple until he announces he is leaving, but I plan to buy on the massive sell off right after the announcement.

Posted: 23 December 2008 04:28 AM #11

WillyPitt - 23 December 2008 06:05 AM

Steve will not be CEO by the end of 2009, the writing is on the wall ...

In 1997, when he rejoined Apple, he didn’t plan to stay at CEO job for long.  His health problem merely speeds up the plan.  You heard that he would be retiring by 2009 or is your educated guess?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 23 December 2008 06:36 AM #12

I think SJ knows he needs to step back from the high-profile he has w/Apple.  That DOES NOT mean he’s leaving!  He has repeatedly shown his disdain for speculation about his health and knows it’s negative to be the sole “straw that stirs the drink” at Apple.  He’s smart and is doing the right thing by moving the focus off him.  Sharing the stage with the multi-talented team that has built Apple to what it is today is a very positive step. 

Macworld was another step in that direction, plus I believe Apple would prefer to announce its new product on ITS terms, not a 3rd party like IDG.

Analysts who don’t see this are going to be on the wrong side of the share price IMO. But there’s no accountability with them, and it’s so much easier to spin the negative.

• Posted: 23 December 2008 08:09 AM #13

WillyPitt has a good point.  No matter how we spin it, Steve’s withdrawal is just not good for the stock.  AAPL and Steve’s role is a one of a kind situation.

The point about Microsoft is also good.  I have been to Best Buy many times this season, and almost always go tho the Apple display.  When I see someone looking I usually talk to the person. 

Many are now associating Apple with the “best” computers.  They may not understand the role of the OS, but the PR for Apple is where it has never been before.

• Posted: 23 December 2008 09:05 AM #14

This whole conversation about the relative worth of Apple with or without SJ is typical press survival.
      When Apple rose from the ashes Jobs was elevated to irreplaceable status by multiple press articles. When Apple begins to actually exceed expectations with good products in new markets more articles came to extol Jobs’ leadership and unique status as a visionary. Well it’s been years of this drumbeat and the press can’t attract readers with the same old same old.
      So they begin Apple’s obituary on the impending sickness, death, or reduced involvement of SJ in the day to day of Apple’s affairs. In this entire saga of the press selling soap, where have we learned of the management team, the administration of this world class design, development, marketing and manufacturing empire? This isn’t a garage anymore.
    These listless pundits of doom will praise Apple/Jobs on the iPod, iTunes enterprise and simultaneously berate the company for having no succession plan of which they are aware. Have they not noticed that the object of their praise has been secretive about all business decisions for years? Anyone with an ounce of understanding in these matters realizes that leadership continuity is a prime management function. Would the object of their praise be so adept at all of management and leave this to his successors?
      Only the press in their unending praise of Apple’s leader and products could create conflict where none exists. This “sky is falling unless we understand”  attitude may sell a few web site hits but in the big picture Apple’s future is bright. The grave yards are populated with many of the irreplaceable. What Steve and Apple have contributed to technology is irreplaceable and with or without Apple those contributions will continue to benefit us all.

Posted: 23 December 2008 02:26 PM #15

This is a very interesting conversation which I think is very healthy for us aapl investors.

Can someone please take the time and research this issue in our past forums.  We had the same talk a year or two ago about the future of Apple or the impact of SJ on Apple as a company.  I seem to recall that we were in agreement that the success of Apple was dependent on its overall management team rather then one person.