Way OT - home theatre system advice

Posted: 09 February 2009 11:44 PM

Way OT but there are too many smart techies on this group to not ask this question.  I’m in the process of building a home and trying to prepare for the greatness to come of SJ and crew.  My goal is to have a flat screen TV in my family room with surround sound but have all the components (other than the TV) in a closet.  I need help on the video side of the equation.  I’ll use an RF remote to work throughout the house and have all the speaker wires routed into this closet.  The question is what do I do to get video input from various components (Cable box, DVD player, Apple TV via HDMI)  to the TV without running wires.  I googled a few devices that appear to allow you to do this but was curious if anyone has any advice of how to do this and or product(s) you’d recommend.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tony

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

Posted: 10 February 2009 09:42 AM #1

No wires at all? Not even a single HDMI cable?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 10 February 2009 09:49 AM #2

SIMA makes very solid HDMI switchs.  This allows you to run only one HDMI cable to the TV.

Edit;  This is the model I meant to link.  It has the auto switching I love.

[ Edited: 10 February 2009 10:06 AM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 10 February 2009 09:53 AM #3

I would run the wire for the HDMI.  The wireless HDMI stuff is pretty new and there is a couple competing standards and its a bit pricey.  For Audio you could use a ZR6 for zone control or something like it.
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/Multizone/ZR6.php
    Good luck in your search

Pat

• Posted: 10 February 2009 02:09 PM #4

Look at DVDO Edge. Good at tying together the mess that is AV standards.

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/

• Posted: 10 February 2009 03:57 PM #5

not sure if this is a help or not.  but in terms of streaming music all over your house (diffrent music in diffrent rooms etc) and storing all of your cds (i think storage of dvds is coming also, if not already) take a look at sooloos.  they are out of nyc and are really a amazing company / product.  very much applesque in terms of design

http://www.sooloos.com/www/index.php

• Posted: 11 February 2009 07:38 AM #6

Presuming you are thinking of Apple technologies, then audio and video will go round the house via the network. I would seriously consider putting in at least a backbone of gigabit ethernet to ensure glitch-free streaming to your main areas, rather than relying on WiFi. I put in CAT5 a couple of years before WiFi came on the scene, and it’s far less trouble than WiFi to use, even today. More secure too. And Time machine backups won’t eat all your bandwidth, nor will using legacy 802.11 b/g Wifi devices (like iPhone/iPod touch!), because it’s switched.

Posted: 12 February 2009 12:34 AM #7

Thank you everyone for your input - I appreciate the help.  If you are ever in the Denver CO area pop in for a wireless home theater experience…. Tony

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

• Posted: 08 February 2010 02:31 AM #8

On a contrarian note, I’m not a big fan of HDMI.  I’ve had sketchy connections with it.  I’m still using component video to connect to Sony XBR.  I have Bose,  Apple TV and PS3 for video sources.

Posted: 08 February 2010 02:33 AM #9

runedge - 10 February 2009 03:44 AM

... I’m in the process of building a home ...

Are you building it on a piece of land?  Could you share with me here or via PM?  I’m assessing the feasibility of buying a piece of land, engage an architect and a builder, to build a single family or a duplex.  So your inputs would be valuable.  Currently, both land and material cost are high.  So, is only a paper study and is waiting for opportune time to strike.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:54 AM #10

AVS forum best knowledge base on all things Audio/video, should be able to help answer all your questions and add about a hundred more 8)

Posted: 11 February 2010 05:46 PM #11

A company called Gefen has a device that will transmit an HD signal wirelessly around 30m. There is also another company out called Savant that has a home theater application for the iphone (to control your components). I just bought a new receiver for my TV room that is iphone ready. Pioneer EliteVSX-23. All of my components are in another room from my projector screen. Don’t forget about cooling fans and a very good power center. I recommend a Monster Cable 3500 (I have 2 in the house). It is sick, but I installed a home theater in the bedroom. Give me a call peckerhead, I can help your sorry yankee ass.

Mark tongue laugh

[ Edited: 11 February 2010 11:32 PM by mbeauch ]

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.