Safari 4.0 beta

• Posted: 25 February 2009 01:20 PM #16

Seems nice so far. Definitely faster. I’m still mixed about the tabs on top; I think it might be that visually they aren’t as obvious that they are there. Perhaps just some contrast tweaks will fix my problems. I think the cover flow view of pages is pretty useful.

I noticed the login page for mobileme has changed too. I haven’t had a chance to look at it in Safari3 yet to see if this was a global change or something just for version 4. Mobileme performance is better with 4 though.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 25 February 2009 01:50 PM #17

Yep. 4 looks and feels very fast. Reload times seem faster also.
    I’d like to see a reload button. Also the option to open in former tabs instead of home page (which used to allow saved tabs to all open with application).

Very good so far.

Posted: 25 February 2009 02:28 PM #18

I like it very much, but it seems to have a problem with E-trade. I keep getting logged out and E-trade seems to record unsuccessful log-on attempts until I have to restart the browser to check my account. Not good if you are a trader. Regrettably, I have become one.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 25 February 2009 02:31 PM #19

awcabot - 25 February 2009 06:28 PM

I like it very much, but it seems to have a problem with E-trade. I keep getting logged out and E-trade seems to record unsuccessful log-on attempts until I have to restart the browser to check my account. Not good if you are a trader. Regrettably, I have become one.

Etrade is java-based, right?

I cannot try out beta stuff since problems are unacceptable if they impact my making a living.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 25 February 2009 02:33 PM #20

Macfox - 25 February 2009 05:50 PM

I’d like to see a reload button. Also the option to open in former tabs instead of home page (which used to allow saved tabs to all open with application).

Very good so far.

Reload button is at the right of the address field.

Signature

• Posted: 25 February 2009 02:51 PM #21

I like it. This may be the first time Apple has had a real contender on the PC side. Full release will be a landmark in the war between open standards/HTML5 versus Flash/Microsoft silverthingy. I anticipate Youtube going HTML5 at the height of the battle!

Posted: 25 February 2009 02:58 PM #22

rattyuk - 25 February 2009 06:33 PM

Very good so far.

Reload button is at the right of the address field.

I haven’t yet been able to get used to this.

Posted: 25 February 2009 03:30 PM #23

Eric Landstrom - 25 February 2009 06:31 PM

No, the E-trade web-site if anything is based on Java-script, not Java. Their dedicated trading platform is Java based, like ToS, but I don’t use that.

I think I will send a protest note to E-trade, if they have the resources to debug their otherwise excellent on-line tools.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 25 February 2009 03:34 PM #24

awcabot - 25 February 2009 07:30 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 25 February 2009 06:31 PM

No, the E-trade web-site if anything is based on Java-script, not Java. Their dedicated trading platform is Java based, like ToS, but I don’t use that.

I think I will send a protest note to E-trade, if they have the resources to debug their otherwise excellent on-line tools.

You might also send a bug report to Apple.  Work both sides of the issue.  There is a little button on the far right in 4.0 beta to send a bug to Apple.

Pat

• Posted: 25 February 2009 04:20 PM #26

davebarnes - 25 February 2009 04:42 PM

Looks cool, but…
    2. Creating new tabs is weak. Firefox lets me double click while Safari requires me to use a special key that I don’t even have on my keyboard.

command-t

I’m sure your keyboard has those keys.  grin

• Posted: 25 February 2009 04:22 PM #27

I’d like to see a reload button.

It’s there at the end of the address field.

Posted: 25 February 2009 04:52 PM #28

There is an uninstall package included in the download, incase you need to return to Safari 3.

:apple:

Posted: 25 February 2009 04:56 PM #29

Not only does the overall performance seem alot better, I think the memory leak problems have been addressed as well. I’ve been using it since yesterday and haven’t had to force quit yet. With version 3, I had to force quit Safari almost daily.

Posted: 25 February 2009 05:24 PM #30

Hm…but…isn’t Hulu Flash-based?  I understand the rest of the website would load faster, but I don’t see how Safari optimizations would significantly help that disgusting resource hog that is Flash (though I will say, Hulu vids run fine on Safari 3 in my limited experience).

It does “bug” me a little that a fully standards-compliant browser would choke up in places, although of course it still is a beta.  How’s relative stability and “rich content” website compatibility compared to Safari 3?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.