New ipod shuffle

Posted: 11 March 2009 03:55 PM #16

The video is on apple.com.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 11 March 2009 07:06 PM #17

It will work with other earphones, but not will all functionality. see here

• Posted: 11 March 2009 11:36 PM #18

willrob - 11 March 2009 10:06 PM

It will work with other earphones, but not will all functionality. see here

Without the included earphones, you can’t adjust the volume or advance tracks!  In my opinion, this is a horrible idea!

No buttons and more expensive compared to the previous Shuffle!!

No one at Apple seems to have paid any attention to the fact that many people *hate* the Apple headphones!!

:-?  :-?  :-?

• Posted: 12 March 2009 12:17 AM #19

ApplecoreD - 12 March 2009 02:36 AM

Without the included earphones, you can’t adjust the volume or advance tracks!  In my opinion, this is a horrible idea!

Pretty certain that Apple announced an adaptor. Pretty certain third party headphone will be developed

No buttons and more expensive compared to the previous Shuffle!!

4 Gig of memory is NOT 1 or 2 gig.

No one at Apple seems to have paid any attention to the fact that many people *hate* the Apple headphones!!

Nope - because YOU may not like it plenty of others do. You have your opinion of course - but I think that Apple know their customers better than most believe.

Signature

• Posted: 12 March 2009 12:03 PM #20

rattyuk - 12 March 2009 03:17 AM

Pretty certain that Apple announced an adaptor. Pretty certain third party headphones will be developed

Third Party Voice-Over Compatible Headphones Announced.

Well that took a day… Pretty certain others are on the way then.

Signature

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:08 PM #21

Every time I try to control iPod from earphone cable the earphone falls out.
    Need a ring worn with controls on the palm side of the finger.
    Press controls with thumb.
    Radio link to the iPod shuffle.
    Not sure this could be made to fit.
    Would work with any earphones or headphones.

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:47 PM #22

rattyuk - 12 March 2009 03:17 AM

Nope - because YOU may not like it plenty of others do. You have your opinion of course - but I think that Apple know their customers better than most believe.

ApplecoreD; I can’t stand any in the ear headphone so I agree with you.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 12 March 2009 01:23 PM #23

So, Apple’s “lock” on their own earbuds/adapter lasted less than 24 hours. And people were complaining. Good grief.

Scosche has already released their 3rd party solution. I’m sure more will follow. But because it wasn’t INSTANTLY, people complain.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/article/scosche_intros_3g_ipod_shuffle-compatible_earbuds_adapter/

Posted: 12 March 2009 02:42 PM #24

MacB - 11 March 2009 02:19 PM

I was wondering how you can use this iPod in a car??? A normal AUX-out cable wont work….  an additional xtra cable??

Do we know that a patch cable won’t work? I am anxious to see and handle these new Shuffles.

As to the new earbuds with inline controls. My drawer full of “standard” earbuds not withstanding I can see the advantage to the inline controls. When the iPod, or iPhone, is tucked into a pocket, holster,  or some other place out of the way, you can easily control the device. Now the Shuffle is small and because of that there has to some sacrifices to onboard features, hence the inline controls. I am going to predict that future models of Nanos, and iPods larger than the Shuffle will have dual controls, either inline or via click wheel. The 3rd party iPod product is huge and it won’t be long before the there are more options for earbuds with inline controls.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 12 March 2009 05:09 PM #25

I’d rather the shuffle didn’t get any smaller. We’re getting to a point where the earbuds could be the iPod.

Sir Harry, nice beret.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 12 March 2009 05:29 PM #26

wheeles - 12 March 2009 08:09 PM

I’d rather the shuffle didn’t get any smaller. We’re getting to a point where the earbuds could be the iPod.

Sir Harry, nice beret.

Thanks for compliment Wheels.

I was thinking the same thing about size of the shuffle. It is amazing how far we have come with miniaturization. My first hard drive, an external model, was the size of a small suitcase and only held 600MB, now we have 4GB in something smaller than a matchbook. I, on the other hand, have gotten a bit larger. :wink:

PS: My first hard drive had SCSI connection with a beastly thick cable.

[ Edited: 12 March 2009 05:43 PM by Lee Dronick ]

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 12 March 2009 06:02 PM #27

The only problem I have with the new shuffle (and a few others have the same reservations too) is that some people like to use their own earphones. If you have to buy an adapter to use your earphones with the new shuffle then the price of the could easily double.

Signature

• Posted: 12 March 2009 08:44 PM #28

Reminds me of the SNL iPhone skit, where it got smaller & smaller…..

I don’t need it smaller than the current Shuffle…

I don’t need to have off-board controls….

Why make me buy an adapter to use my head phones…

If the old Shuffle was too heavy for you…  Oh well.. What can I say….

Would have much preferred the new functionality in the older design..

Richie

Posted: 13 March 2009 12:13 AM #29

diverreb - 12 March 2009 11:44 PM

Reminds me of the SNL iPhone skit, where it got smaller & smaller…..

Haha.. the iPod Invisa. There’s where the real product development is headed.  LOL

We?re getting to a point where the earbuds could be the iPod.

I actually think there’s a lot of truth in that. I know a number of people have complained about the “absence” of controls… well obviously that’s overblown. I’m not too fond of Apple pushing triple clicks on their customers for a basic function, out of love for a minimalist design. On the other hand, I do think it’s absolutely phenomenal that they’ll so boldly push the envelope on something like this; and the device is so freakin’ tiny. In any event, I fall into the “it’s not for me” category, which a lot of people seem to be saying.

Nice looking product? Sure, why not!

Niche market appeal? Macbook Air, anyone?

• Posted: 13 March 2009 12:40 AM #30

wheeles - 12 March 2009 09:02 PM

The only problem I have with the new shuffle (and a few others have the same reservations too) is that some people like to use their own earphones. If you have to buy an adapter to use your earphones with the new shuffle then the price of the could easily double.

Would an adapter provide click controls/ Or merely allow using earphones one already has. Apple has that doc explaining that using third party earphones won’t allow controlling the device, but I can’t find any doc about how the adapter will work.