Keyboard Questions: cleaning, protecting, replacing

• Posted: 07 April 2009 11:50 PM

My iMac keyboard has collected an undue amount of cat hair and small debris. Again. I need to learn a method to thoroughly clean the keyboard. That’s my first question.

This keyboard seems to easily collect junk. It seems to me I have a couple of choices. Find a way to live in a more sterile environment, find a “skin” or protective covering that still allows good tactile response from the keyboard, or find a new keyboard. I won’t ask for opinions on my environment! So, what protective coverings have worked for you?

If I choose to replace this keyboard, what are some good options?

Thanks to all for the opinions forthcoming!

Signature

Live each day like it’s your last, ‘cause one day you’re gonna be right. - Ray Charles

• Posted: 03 May 2009 10:25 AM #1

I personally like the iSkin protectors, but agree that the older style Apple keyboards were a nightmare to keep clean. There are ways to clean them, but frankly it’s not worth it. I have tried many times and can never get it looking good enough to warranty the effort.

I can highly recommend the newer Apple keyboards, which are much easier to clean and fairly cheap. That would be my personal choice.

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter