Java vulnerability

Posted: 20 May 2009 11:13 AM

Anybody have an idea when Apple will get around to fixing the Java vulnerability that I’m reading so much about these last few days? Turning off Java in my browser is not a fix.

Posted: 20 May 2009 04:48 PM #1

This is not the first time something like this has happened.  If my memory serves me correctly, Apple had a similarly “dire” vulnerability in Tiger around the time Leopard was about to come on scene.  To answer your question, it will be days, weeks, or months.  tongue laugh Apple COULD release a stand-alone update to address it, or they COULD wait for a 10.5.8 release, or the COULD patch it in Snow Leopard.  No one knows.

Signature

A just war is in the long run far better for a nation’s soul than the most prosperous peace obtained by acquiescence in wrong or injustice.-  Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (1858 - 1919)

Posted: 20 May 2009 09:51 PM #2

Can you download the applets and run them on OpenJDK?

Posted: 24 May 2009 04:16 AM #3

+

Addressing the issue of turning Java off in Safari preferences, as Ted Landau suggests:

I surf a tremendous number of sites, from news sites via Google News, to Mac-related sites, to Facebook and other social networking sites, like LinkedIn. I also go to many sites related to building websites (drupal.org), related to offset printing (copycraft.com, multiscope.com), and related to graphics development (adobe.com).

In all, I probably visit hundreds of different sites every week. Yet in all my years of surfing, only two have ever used Java applets: adobe.com and multiscope.com.

If I want to try a demo Creative Suite app from Adobe, their website uses a Java applet to manage the download. Likewise, if I need to upload graphics files for printing to MultiScope (an offset printer in the Pittsburgh area), a Java applet manages the upload.

That’s it. Two sites, out of hundreds or thousands that I visit.

My point? Turning off Java in preferences is a no-brainer, no matter how low the risk might be. Why keep it on? How many of us run into Java applets on the sites we visit?

I can always turn it on when I’m on MultiScope’s site, or Adobe’s site, if needed. Otherwise, keeping it off won’t affect my surfing in the least, and I’ll bet it won’t affect anyone else here in the least, either.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 24 May 2009 08:24 AM #4

mrmgraphics - 24 May 2009 07:16 AM

+
    My point? Turning off Java in preferences is a no-brainer, no matter how low the risk might be. Why keep it on? How many of us run into Java applets on the sites we visit?

I can always turn it on when I’m on MultiScope’s site, or Adobe’s site, if needed. Otherwise, keeping it off won’t affect my surfing in the least, and I’ll bet it won’t affect anyone else here in the least, either.

It probably won’t affect many people that frequent TMO, but there are millions of other Mac users out there that probably do frequent sites that use Java. A couple of sites that my wife and I visit (bigfishgames.com & grab.com) use Java to play their games. I can turn it on & off no problem, and I am sure I can teach my wife to do the same.  Just like in the PC world, there are plenty of technically challenged Mac users out there who have a hard time even finding the browser preferences. I personally know 4 brand new Mac users - just got their 1st Macs @ our company computer auction. I don’t know what sites they’ll visit…do you?

*edited to get get rid of links

[ Edited: 24 May 2009 08:27 AM by BWilcox ]