Zune - now the pig has lipstick!!!!

• Posted: 28 May 2009 11:51 AM #16

sleepytoo - 28 May 2009 02:22 PM

Even more pedantically, they look to me not like Phillips, nor Torx, but Tri-Wing :-D

Damn. Out Geeked. :-D

Signature

Posted: 28 May 2009 02:30 PM #17

sleepytoo - 28 May 2009 02:12 PM

Full color OLED screens are appearing in iPod/iPhone sizes, and will likely be on the next iPhone, presumably because of reduced power consumption. For example Sony’s iPod touch clone has an OLED screen. (edit: shipping mid-June apparently)

No surprise that MS can source a few thousand for Zune HD in 6 months time.

I know Sony were demoing a large panel OLED panel TV recently, but from what I heard they had it insured for a couple of hundred thousand bucks.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 28 May 2009 03:00 PM #18

Steve Ballmer has been showing it off to the cognoscenti at D7. It looks to me that Ballmers kids were pissed at not being allowed to buy an iPod Touch so Ballmer said “Just wait a couple of months I’ll make you one.”

Pictures can be found here.

Signature

Posted: 28 May 2009 04:53 PM #19

wheeles - 28 May 2009 05:30 PM

Full color OLED screens are appearing in iPod/iPhone sizes, and will likely be on the next iPhone, presumably because of reduced power consumption. For example Sony’s iPod touch clone has an OLED screen. (edit: shipping mid-June apparently)

I know Sony were demoing a large panel OLED panel TV recently, but from what I heard they had it insured for a couple of hundred thousand bucks.

A demo panel and a commercial product are two different animals.  That said there are plenty of devices shipping this year with under 4” panels so I don’t think OLED is out of the question for Apple since they prepaid 500M to LG for some type of display.  It makes little sense to prepay for LCD since everyone can produce stunning displays in the size Apple needs but 500M for OLED goes a long way in guaranteeing your slot for production.  I think we’ll see it this year but we will know June 8th because they won’t put it on the touch if it is not included on the flagship iphone.

• Posted: 28 May 2009 08:15 PM #20

Some Video of the new Zune can be found at AppleInsider.

• Posted: 29 May 2009 12:42 AM #21

While an OLED screen may make sense for the Zune, I don’t think that OLED technology would be capable of producing and delivering more than 20-40 million screens a year. I believe LCDs are still a better choice for the kind of numbers Apple needs.

• Posted: 29 May 2009 06:30 AM #22

Why is the home screen text too large to fit? I think they wanted to show Zune HD before the new iPhone, and increased the home screen font size at the last minute to push the web browsing option down off the home screen so no-one would see it.  “Marketplace” no longer fits the screen - oops.

The major current weakness must be the browser. Presumably it’s so bad they daren’t show it yet. Or maybe it’s just the networking that doesn’t work.

The videos I’ve seen show the device being run through casual but rehearsed demonstrations by MS reps, where they carefully prevent the web browser option from being shown on the home screen. They show scrolling in one video, but hide the lower part under their hand.  They don’t mention any options not at the top.

The OLED and the responsiveness (faster CPU) are just a reflection of this year’s hardware options, and will probably be shipping in iPod and iPhone before Zune HD actually ships.

Then there’s the email, the App store, the games, the iPhone.

• Posted: 29 May 2009 07:37 AM #23

sleepytoo - 29 May 2009 09:30 AM

Why is the home screen text too large to fit? I think they wanted to show Zune HD before the new iPhone, and increased the home screen font size at the last minute to push the web browsing option down off the home screen so no-one would see it.  “Marketplace” no longer fits the screen - oops.

I think the argument used is that it is a “design” choice. Anyone else find it ironic where Microsoft take design and style to the edge of usefulness. I think yet more proof that they don’t really get it.

The OLED screen is probably in there just to steal Apples thunder like the Surface launch before Apple launched the iPhone - “we did it first” it keeps the PC fanbois happy as they have more to boast about in the forums.

Signature

• Posted: 30 May 2009 04:56 PM #24

My take:  Oink

Posted: 30 May 2009 05:24 PM #25

OLED’s been out in various kinds of MP3 players and maybe some of those “PMPs” (personal media players) for quite some time now.  All most of Apple’s customers care about is “does it have a good screen”?  LED-backlit LCDs are pretty nice, and unless Apple can get significant benefit from OLED without an excessively high price I see no need to transition to a different screen type anytime soon.

“Zune HD” wasn’t the best of product names.  The screen manages to be of less pixels than the iPhone/iPod touch (higher res display = absolute must to compete in the marketplace if you end your product name in “HD”, I would think), and you need the extra dock for HD.  Same with any future “HD on the go” iPhone/iPod touch of course, but the less asterisks you need to use, the better.  And if Zune HD really does work with native 720p files to downscale them on the device itself, rather than going with simply uploading an optimized version to the phone like iTunes does, I wonder about the effect on battery life.  One other thing—when will people actually want to start seeing full HD content on a 1280x720 or better, 3”-or-so screen?

Anyone notice this little graphic (that I would guess makes it to production):  “hello from seattle”?  No, no inspiration whatsoever from “Designed by Apple in California.”

[ Edited: 30 May 2009 05:31 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 May 2009 06:37 PM #26

Mav - 30 May 2009 08:24 PM

One other thing—when will people actually want to start seeing full HD content on a 1280x720 or better, 3”-or-so screen?

Anyone notice this little graphic (that I would guess makes it to production):  “hello from seattle”?  No, no inspiration whatsoever from “Designed by Apple in California.”

Correct.  HD on a screen this size is laughable.

As far as “Hello from Seattle” goes:  Redmond and Bellevue host the Microsofties, not Seattle.  Don’t wait for Apple to take a cue from this with:  “Designed by Apple in San Francisco.”

• Posted: 31 May 2009 11:27 AM #27

The point about HD on these devices is that an Apple TV or set-top box becomes an optional inconvenience. Buy/download content over wifi then drop your iPod/iPhone in a dock (you need to recharge it anyway) and watch HD at home, or watch it on the small screen if you need to. Or watch at a a friend’s house.

(unrelated) I was at John Lewis (department store in London yesterday) and Sony’s OLED screen “iPod touch” was prominently on display and available to buy; there’s no reason why the new iPhone wouldn’t be OLED.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nws-x-series/nwz-x1060

Posted: 31 May 2009 12:49 PM #28

sleepytoo - 31 May 2009 02:27 PM

The point about HD on these devices is that an Apple TV or set-top box becomes an optional inconvenience ...

Complicated too.  Between the source rolleyes and TV, I’ve a cable modem, a router/wireless access point, an AppleTV, a Comcast box, a Playstation 3, a Wii and a multi-region DVD player.  Seven set-tops.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 31 May 2009 05:03 PM #29

Mace - 31 May 2009 03:49 PM
    sleepytoo - 31 May 2009 02:27 PM

The point about HD on these devices is that an Apple TV or set-top box becomes an optional inconvenience ...

Complicated too.  Between the source rolleyes and TV, I’ve a cable modem, a router/wireless access point, an AppleTV, a Comcast box, a Playstation 3, a Wii and a multi-region DVD player.  Seven set-tops.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not an inconvenience though it may not be the right solution.  Think about this scenario.  You’ve downloaded your selected movie for the night…gathered your friends and family…,and launched into Ironman.  Just as he’s about to emerge from the cave…, your most important customer calls.

Is it a better solution to build storage into the television or an Apple TV.  Either way my phones going to be busy displacing my Harmony remote.  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!