Mail.app filtering

Posted: 27 May 2009 08:47 PM

I’m using my .mac e-mail account and Mail.App on OS 10.5.7.  I’ve been getting a lot of SPAM from overseas. I have Junk filtering going which catches most stuff but I still spool through my junk mail folder periodically (for some reason about half of the TMO ‘someone has replied to your forum post’ messages end up in junk. That’s another issue).

Would anyone know of a way to get a messages not written in Roman characters to go directly to trash. That way the stuff in Cyrillic and Chinese would just vanish.

[ Edited: 29 May 2009 05:12 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 27 May 2009 11:06 PM #1

You can make a rule that sends to the trash all mail with a particular character set.  For instance, one Korean character set is charset=ks_c_5601-1987, and I have a rule that sends to the trash any message with Content, From, or Subject that uses that character set.  The problem is that there are a whole bunch of different character sets for each language (I have four for Korean, five for Chinese, and three for Japanese—and I know there must be more because I get a few slipping through), and with this technique you have to specify each one.  There’s probably another, more global method, but I don’t know what it is.  Would love to know, though.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Posted: 27 May 2009 11:14 PM #2

Would you know what the character set for english would be? I could try to trash mail that did NOT have that character set.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 27 May 2009 11:23 PM #3

There’s an article on Wikipedia with the title “character encoding” that might be useful to you.  Funny I never thought of a negative rule.

Perhaps even more useful is the list here.

[ Edited: 27 May 2009 11:29 PM by yoyo52 ]

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"