Is there another industry that Apple should disrupt?

Posted: 29 June 2009 01:42 PM #16

Play Ultimate - 29 June 2009 03:51 PM

... Until a different solution for providing high-speed internet into the home is arrived at, Apple TV will be beholden to the ISPs.

Or a new compression or distribution technology that require a lot less bandwidth.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 30 June 2009 12:31 AM #17

I know where I would like to see them go, but won’t because it’s not for “Consumers.”  Aircraft instrumentation and Apple software, of course.  Flight and navigation instruments.  The only company that are even close to having it right is Garmin, with their all glass cockpits.  But it’s all way too expensive, and too complex and time-consuming, especially for single pilot operations.

I can’t tell you how many times I have run through a preflight checklist, and said to myself, ‘I wish Apple made this stuff.’

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 30 June 2009 05:44 AM #18

Find out what Steve Jobs “hates” at the moment (like the old phone interface) and you may have a market which Apple can do better.

• Posted: 30 June 2009 09:22 AM #19

I guess this is not really a different industry (it is just another area within software), but with Apple moving into the enterprise market, I think they can easily disrupt and take over the market for ERP systems like SAP. Most of these systems are currently utterly user-unfriendly and sell to enterprises mainly based on functionality rather than usability (with the result that the end-user is not able to take advantage of all those functions). 
    I would not be surprised if someone in CUpertino is already working on this.

Posted: 30 June 2009 11:38 AM #20

eniac - 30 June 2009 12:22 PM

I guess this is not really a different industry (it is just another area within software), but with Apple moving into the enterprise market, I think they can easily disrupt and take over the market for ERP systems like SAP. Most of these systems are currently utterly user-unfriendly and sell to enterprises mainly based on functionality rather than usability (with the result that the end-user is not able to take advantage of all those functions). 

Interesting point. If Apple wanted to branch into business areas and follow IBM’s lead it might open up a whole new service universe for revenue. For example, I recently heard a University IT guy say he attended a conference where the head of Apple IT blew everyone away with a talk. Apple previously had dozens of servers to handle all their online commerce and web presence worldwide. Now they have one IBM mainframe server feeding an undisclosed number of X servers that handle all traffic worldwide. One machine (with a complete backup) that handles ALL commerce, iTunes, apps, updates?everything!  And it is a model of efficiency.

He said Apple has the second largest web sales in the world (behind Amazon) yet Apple’s cost of generating every $1000 of sales is many times lower than Amazon and light years ahead of everybody else. Now they spend proportionately more on creative content and less on infrastructure costs. This experience could be harnessed to sell solutions along with Apple equipment.

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 30 June 2009 01:22 PM #21

How dare you!

Larry Ellison

Signature

• Posted: 11 July 2009 06:52 PM #22

It would be interesting to run down Steve Jobs’ past industry disruptions.  Maybe some patterns will emerge.

Here is my stab at characterizing the MacIntosh, iPod, and iPhone.  No obvious pattern jumps out at me that would predict the next industry.

Maybe my summaries are wrong.  What do you think?

MacIntosh
    Business Model:          Mass market, user friendly computing
    Market Size:              Million units per year at first in Late 80’s, now 400 million per year
    Enabling Technology:    First GUI OS, cheap hardware motherboard powerful enough to run OS
    State of Industry:        ??
    Note that after Jobs left, Apple ceded the mass market by keeping an unreasonable price on the Mac.

iPod
    Business Model:          Mass market consumer electronics with Internet service, using computer as Hub device
    Market Size:              Million units per year at first in 2002, now 50-100 million per year
    Enabling Tech:            First 1.8 inch hard drives, First usable digital music service (iTunes)
    State of Industry:        Fragmented market, unusable products, broken internet music services

iPhone
    Business Model:          Mass market consumer electronics, portable computer with cell phone network subsidies and zero carrier control of services
    Market size:              100 million per year (smartphones), 1 billion (all mobile phones)
    Enabling Technology:    First multitouch OS with integrated App Store, complete internet experience in portable computer
    State of Industry:        Obsolete and carrier crippled OS’ for subsidized phones, poor or nonexistent support for OS and application software upgrades

Hmm, not a very illuminating exercise as far as I can tell.

I’ll think about it more.

Signature

Off again, on again…

Posted: 11 July 2009 07:38 PM #23

alcatholic - 11 July 2009 09:52 PM

It would be interesting to run down Steve Jobs’ past industry disruptions.  Maybe some patterns will emerge.

. . .

Don’t forget the revolution he started with Pixar.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 11 July 2009 07:51 PM #24

Play Ultimate - 11 July 2009 10:38 PM

. . .

also to get into the SJ mindset learn how he bought a washing machine

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2005/05/67483

[ Edited: 11 July 2009 07:54 PM by SNIPUS ]      

Posted: 11 July 2009 08:12 PM #25

acatholic,

The hottest segment to target is those casual internet users who don’t need good graphics but need stable round-the-clock access to internet, a display big enough to read, a size small enough to be carry around, and a reasonable input device.  Is the netbook the solution?

PC market artificially lumped PC server, workstation, desktop and notebook as a single industry just because they use similar components.  Those platforms serves four different market, namely, data centers, gaming/entertainment/software development, office and casual/social networking LOL.

Apple needs to design something for the social networking crowd.

Signature

Posted: 11 July 2009 08:17 PM #26

Mace - 11 July 2009 11:12 PM

I thought that was what the iPhone was for.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 11 July 2009 08:26 PM #27

Play Ultimate - 11 July 2009 11:17 PM

I thought that was what the iPhone was for.

Yes but there is a room for a bigger display device that reduce the need to zoom in.

Signature

• Posted: 12 July 2009 01:29 AM #28

[...]
    PC market artificially lumped PC server, workstation, desktop and notebook as a single industry just because they use similar components.  Those platforms serves four different market, namely, data centers, gaming/entertainment/software development, office and casual/social networking LOL.

[...]

Yes, indeed.  Apple is often cited as having 4% of the personal computer market.  In fact they have 60%+ of the over $1,000 consumer computer market.

• Posted: 12 July 2009 06:59 AM #29

SNIPUS - 11 July 2009 10:51 PM
    Play Ultimate - 11 July 2009 10:38 PM

. . .

also to get into the SJ mindset learn how he bought a washing machine

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2005/05/67483

Let’s do Pixar

Business Model:    Full time creative employees for in house creative development, Development of proprietary digital animation tools
    Market size:      0 in 1995 for digital animation features, now multi billions per year
    Enabling Tech:    RenderMan digital animation tool, full time creative employees
    State of Industry:  Gun for Hire producers, directors and screen writers, outsourced animation, bean counter run studios, no technical culture especially not software

The one pattern I can see in the Mac, Pixar, iPod, and iPhone, which corresponds to one of the things Jobs’ has always talked about as an Apple strength, is software.  I think his quote goes something like, “Apple is pretty good at design and hardware, but we are great at software.”

So, maybe what Apple looks for is industries where the software is broken and where they can figure out a way to get paid for their software, which usually means selling the hardware to run it.

In terms of netbooks, the one good sign is that Jobs and Cook have both called Netbooks really poor products.  So, maybe they think they can fix them.  But really the software is not what is broken with Netbooks, it’s the hardware.  So in terms of a software theory it probably wouldn’t fit.  Then again my going assumption is that an Apple netbook would be an extension of the iPhone OS multi-touch platform, which frankly is a weapon that I would love to see Apple swing around a bit to see how much damage it can cause when deployed against a given market.  My guess is iPhone OS dominates netbooks in short order.  So, what would you say is the state of the Netbook industry that creates an opening for Apple?

[ Edited: 12 July 2009 07:02 AM by alcatholic ]

Signature

Off again, on again…

• Posted: 12 July 2009 01:57 PM #30

I think they can easily disrupt and take over the market for ERP systems like SAP

Apple Inc. is still a SAP user, I think. SAP - the first company to rewrite Cobol applications in C(++) and hence get a leading edge in their market.

SNIPUS - 30 June 2009 10:51 AM

...also to get into the SJ mindset learn how he bought a washing machine…

wash along with Steve