Poll About TMO’s Advertising

Poll: Do the ads on TMO help make you aware of and/or refresh your memory of products or services relevant to your interests?
Total Votes: 20
Yes
No

Posted: 19 August 2009 10:34 PM #16

The ads don’t bother me. Since MGG is one of my must-haves each week, I certainly want sponsors to stay. I appreciate the role they play in keepin’ those hits a-comin’.

Whatever I do notice of the ads, I try/buy a lot more apps and hardware as a result of what you and John discuss informally on MGG, rather than the overt ads on the webpages and in MGG.

Great work, guys! Keep it up, and don’t get caught.

Chuck B
    Miami

Posted: 20 August 2009 06:27 AM #17

When an advertisement is too busy (a lot of movement) I get distracted, which interrupts my concentration on what I am reading.  Being distracted by movement on the periphery of one’s vision is a primordial reaction.  It could mean food for you or it could mean you are food for it.  Always having lived rurally I have not developed the tendency to ignore peripheral movement as an insignificant part of the landscape.

Static ads are OK, like the Smalldog Ad, and I will probably have a look at it when I am finished this.  If an ad is too busy and intrusive, I just want to get rid of it or scroll it out of sight.  Some web-sites, such as Digital Daily from the WSJ started to have an advertisement “in-your-face” when you clicked on an article.  This is the same as if you were to walk to the rim of the Grand Canyon to view it and have someone hold a sheet of plywood in front of you.  A barrier to your intent, thus you are pissed-off!!

The point I am making is that in advertising you are trying to sell something and to do this your prospect has to be positively disposed towards you and your product.  If you are an irritant, your prospect will not be positively disposed and your chance at a sale is ZIP!  (As much as I enjoyed the WSJ’s Digital Daily, the pop-up ad drove me away.  I also have no idea what was being presented because I was too busy trying to find out how do kill the irritant)

I read TMO daily and have found the ads not to distracting, however I did scroll down a bit, as I wrote this, to remove the distraction of the ad about the PDF bending-or whatever.

Keep up the good work:
    Bob

Signature

Cheers:
    Bob

Posted: 20 August 2009 10:50 AM #18

computerbandgeek - 19 August 2009 10:48 PM

I would also like to point out that, since I read TMO about 60% of the time on my iPhone, I never see most of the normal banner ads. Since there is no iPhone-formatted version of the site, when I zoom in to read the text of the article, all of the advertisements are hidden from my view.

This is, indeed, something we’ve been considering.  Right now, less than 2% of the views to TMO come from the iPhone, though I expect that may change dramatically in the next several months given some changes we’ve got in the pipeline.  If that number creeps up much more than it is now, then yes, an iPhone-formatted version of the site will become a priority.

computerbandgeek - 19 August 2009 10:48 PM

If I don’t see the ads, I am not likely to act on them. However when I am on my Macbook viewing the site, I find the ads relevant and make some purchasing decisions based on them.

Good to know, and thanks.  We appreciate it!

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 20 August 2009 07:51 PM #19

Being foreign, I tend to ignore the hardware ads, because the chances of my being able to purchase them satisfactorily is low: the cost of international shipping (if available) is often very high and, more likely, the only voltage will be 110/60 and the plug will be wrong. If I do click through it is to sigh melancholically and wish, “if only the US had a different electrical system.”

Over the last two years or so I’ve noticed location-specific ads from nearby advertisers, but I have yet to see anything to pique my interest. 

I have, on one or two occasions over the last eight years(!) bought software that just wasn’t available in New Zealand. That’s literally my two cents’ worth…

Kia ora,
    Laurie

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming