How do you remove unused printer drivers out of Snow Leopard?

• Posted: 05 September 2009 03:45 PM

Could someone give me the rundown on how to remove unused printer drivers from Snow Leopard.  I have a little over 1gb of printer drivers still on my machine.

Thanks in advance, George.

[ Edited: 09 September 2009 07:47 AM by GeoKost ]

Signature

My other hobby:  http://geokost.zenfolio.com/

Go Razorbacks!!! Love them HOGS, Wooo, Pig, Soooie!!!

• Posted: 09 September 2009 12:16 AM #1

If the Snow Leopard install went as expected, it “should” have only installed printer drivers for printers you either currently have set up, or have recently connected/printed to ? much less than Leopard which installed a LOT. I’m not sure I would expect this slimmed down driver install list to add up to a Gb though.

If, however, you mean you only have a Gb of space left on your boot drive, well, I’m surprised your machine is still running, as that’s not enough free space for the Virtual Memory system to function properly. If so, you need to either clear off some data, or migrate to a larger hard disk.

• Posted: 09 September 2009 07:54 AM #2

JeffCGD - 09 September 2009 03:16 AM

If the Snow Leopard install went as expected, it “should” have only installed printer drivers for printers you either currently have set up, or have recently connected/printed to ? much less than Leopard which installed a LOT. I’m not sure I would expect this slimmed down driver install list to add up to a Gb though.

If, however, you mean you only have a Gb of space left on your boot drive, well, I’m surprised your machine is still running, as that’s not enough free space for the Virtual Memory system to function properly. If so, you need to either clear off some data, or migrate to a larger hard disk.

Yes, it “should have”, but it didn’t.  I clarified my meaning of 1Gb of “just” printer drivers in my previous post.  I only have one printer, but installed 6 others to.

I also noticed last night that it took away me being able to print wireless.  It will print with the USB cable.  It also took away the estimated ink levels to.  BTW, using a Epson Workforce 600.

Thanks for the reply.

Signature

• Posted: 09 September 2009 12:05 PM #3

The printer drivers are installed in /Library/Printers - so that they’re usable by all users.
    However, I noticed that I have some misc. HP kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions, and I’m thinking about yanking those out as well.
    -JM

• Posted: 09 September 2009 09:53 PM #4

John Martellaro - 09 September 2009 03:05 PM

The printer drivers are installed in /Library/Printers - so that they’re usable by all users.
    However, I noticed that I have some misc. HP kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions, and I’m thinking about yanking those out as well.
    -JM

Looks like have some HP kernel extensions also in mine.  I guess I will just leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the reply John.

Signature