Snow Leopard 10.6.1 available

• Posted: 10 September 2009 07:33 PM

At Versiontracker or via software update. I’m not sure if there is a combo version yet.

Posted: 11 September 2009 12:27 AM #1

willrob - 10 September 2009 10:33 PM

At Versiontracker or via software update. I’m not sure if there is a combo version yet.

A maintenance upgrade? Your post cause me to order Snow Leopard.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 11 September 2009 11:53 AM #2

I just downloaded the update last night and now my iMac crashed and will no longer boot up.

Used the Snow Leopard disk to start up but the hard drive is not showing up to be repaired.

Taking it to store on Sunday.  I am not a happy camper.

Posted: 11 September 2009 12:33 PM #3

I upgraded my girlfriend’s new unibody 13” MB Pro last night, and during the installation the screen went completely blank.  Or so I thought.  Turns out the backlight was deactivated during installation, so I had to shine a bright light directly on the screen in order to see what was going on.  Very annoying.  A simple upgrade took 2 hours of troubleshooting.  A quick google search finds this is not an isolated issue.

Apple Forum

Come on Apple!

Posted: 11 September 2009 01:00 PM #4

No problem on a 2.4G 2008 MacBook. Nor on my wife’s 2007 version.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 11 September 2009 01:14 PM #5

Mental note: do not install said software. Wait for another maintenance upgrade.

Remember when PC were hard and Macs were easy?

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 11 September 2009 01:47 PM #6

worked fine here - last night. Still running today.

Signature

• Posted: 11 September 2009 02:11 PM #7

dc930 - 11 September 2009 03:33 PM

I upgraded my girlfriend’s new unibody 13” MB Pro last night, and during the installation the screen went completely blank.  Or so I thought.  Turns out the backlight was deactivated during installation, so I had to shine a bright light directly on the screen in order to see what was going on.  Very annoying.  A simple upgrade took 2 hours of troubleshooting.  A quick google search finds this is not an isolated issue.

Apple Forum

Come on Apple!

My 13” MacBook Pro had no problem with the install. Perhaps she had some hard disk corruption that needed to be repaired before the install could complete.

Posted: 11 September 2009 02:25 PM #8

willrob - 11 September 2009 05:11 PM

Apple Forum

Come on Apple!

My 13” MacBook Pro had no problem with the install. Perhaps she had some hard disk corruption that needed to be repaired before the install could complete.

No, it’s definitely a backlight/screen/video driver bug.  Similar reports all over the web.  Someone even took a picture demonstrating that the image is there, but without the backlight you have to shine your own light on it to see what’s going on.

Forum Link

• Posted: 11 September 2009 02:25 PM #9

omacvi - 11 September 2009 02:53 PM

I just downloaded the update last night and now my iMac crashed and will no longer boot up.

Used the Snow Leopard disk to start up but the hard drive is not showing up to be repaired.

Taking it to store on Sunday.  I am not a happy camper.

Same deal here.  Typing from the iPhone…,off to the genius bar.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 11 September 2009 02:28 PM #10

!

I had the same problem installing onto one MacBook Pro, but not onto another.

Looked to me that on the first MacBook Pro, the reason was that the system settings dimmed down the display or put the display to sleep during the installation when I was away, and not physically moving the mouse occasionally. (and yes, using a flashlight on the screen was enough to keep track of what was going on)

On the 2nd MacBook Pro, I periodically moved the mouse, after seeing what had happened on the other system, and it was fine.