24 ***may contain spoilers for just-aired episodes***

• Posted: 03 February 2003 02:40 PM #31

I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for it’s return!!!
    That last episode had some totally unexpected surprises. I have to admit, I didn’t trust Sherry once the Prez allowed her back in and it looks like my suspicions are true. Nina; I like her style. Now I was totally caught off guard be Daddy’s little girl—-and so was Resa for that matter!!  :o

• Posted: 11 February 2003 06:40 PM #32

One word about tonight’s episode:

WHOA

Warning: Spoilers Ahead.
    24 has been taken to a new level of craziness tonight. Dual interrogations, each of which actually made me avert my eyes for a moment. I don’t normally scream at my TV, but it was worth doing tonight.

I really don’t know how they’re going to finish the season. They’re getting close to the bomb - they’ll probably have it next episode. But the big question still isn’t answered: Why? We still don’t know why American forces are involved, we don’t know why Nina was involved, and most importantly, we don’t know what Sherry’s involvement is in this. It’s not hard to imagine that she’s masterminding the entire thing - we’ve known that she’s capable of it. But I can’t really fathom why…

Sign of a good show, I suppose.

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

• Posted: 11 February 2003 07:11 PM #33

Great show tonight. 

spoiler

The interrogation with the family was intense.  You don’t expect to see something like that coming from our side of things.  As soon as they kicked over the chair though I new they were faking it.  How was the kid still/silent enough to make it look real?  I don’t quite get it, but intense. 

They still have quite a bit of the season left to go, right?  But they are too close to the bomb.  So what’s going to happen for the rest of it.

I remember watching the newest tom clancy movie, with Ben Affleck I think.  It was VERY bizarre to see a nuclear bomb go off in a major US city, even if in a movie.  That just isn’t something portrayed in a movie or TV or anything.  I wonder if they will do similar.

On a side note, in regards to real life, I personally feel like this is why the government is being so careful with Iraq and others right now.  The threat of this happening is TOO real.  They MUST catch it before it happens.

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 12 February 2003 10:07 AM #34

I’d still like to know how Daddy Bigbucks’ “sweet” baby girl plays into all this. Was she simply brainwashed by Ali or could she possibly be the mastermind behind it all ? She’s definitely turning out to be one tough cookie!  rolleyes

• Posted: 25 February 2003 06:18 PM #35

Well, well, well, tonight was certainly interesting. Spoilers…

Let’s see, we have plenty of stuff tonight. Sherry’s been exposed - but is she faking Palmer out with her pet CIA operative to cover her true role? Marie got caught - I honestly thought she was going to shoot Kate there. I could see it - she wasn’t necessary as a translator anymore. But I didn’t foresee Jack using Kate to try to break Marie. Great fake-out there.

My respect for the actress portraying Marie Warner has grown. It’s not easy to go from completely broken to hardened like she did tonight. Especially when you need to make it believable.

Mason’s leaving was a rough moment. Note the silent countdown. That was something of a shock. It needed to happen, and it happened in just the right way.

We’ve had a fake bomb. Now we have a real one. And according to the teaser, Jack’s flying it out of there. Something’s gotta give. smile

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

• Posted: 25 February 2003 06:55 PM #36

Wow, excellent, solid episode!

I wasn’t really expecting Marie to shoot Kate—Kate is definitely being written in as a new love interest (well, potential anyway) this season; note how careful the writers have been to make sure she’s portrayed as being highly intelligent and a quick thinker (a la Jack).  I almost cheered when she actually TOLD the security guard to let Jack know that she had spied Marie BEFORE going out to look for her by herself (which is what any sensible person would do, but so often in movies/tv shows characters DON’T do this).

Mason’s exit was also handled deftly, properly and with respect for both the character and the situation—he held on to his position as long as he could, but was sensible enough to be pragmatic (note how he blew off Jack on the phone when Jack suggested bringing in Tony to take over, but in his heart he knew this was the only logical thing to do, and went ahead and brought Tony in).  The silent countdown bit was a nice touch (someone on another board claims that the shot of Mason leaving CTU for the last time, briefcase in hand, with Tony watching him leave, was the *exact* same shot/angle/positions etc. as when he left CTU 12 hours earlier as a coward; will have to wait for reruns/DVD to confirm this, but if true, it’s a VERY nice poetic touch as well).

Loved the way Palmer handled Sherry, except at the end; when push came to shove, he basically just said (appropriately) that it doesn’t matter anymore whether she’s telling the truth or not—either way, she’s too much trouble to deal with right now and he doesn’t have time for her bullsh!t mind games (regardless of which “side” she’s really on).  However, I think it was kind of silly to let her leave completely—he should’ve at least had her “detained” (ala the reporter from earlier in the season), with NO contact with anyone, etc., until the crisis was dealt with one way or another. Sherry’s capable of too much mischief to be running around free.

Less sure that I like the totally new “Paula’s replacement” development—it’s good to see Michelle get some storytime (she hasn’t really had much to do on the show so far), but it seems pretty awkward to bring in this particular element from her past, etc. (shrug) We’ll see where it leads…

As for Kim—(sigh) what can I say? She finally showed a smidge of intelligence (checking the TV stations), and I’m glad that they didn’t make the Kevin Dillon character out to be a raving rapist/lunatic (he’s a bit psycho, but mostly just an overly mixed-up, lonely guy), but the bottom line is that Kim should never have been in the story this year—and the writers know it; the moment they brought in the COUGERS, you could just see them throwing their hands in the air. Kim’s storyline has become SO absurd and irritating that I can’t even enjoy her as eye candy (which is saying a lot). Nothing personal against Elisha Cuthbert, she’s a decent actress, but Kim should’ve just had a couple of off-camera references or something; perhaps a guest role in the first couple of episodes, but that’s it.

Otherwise, though, fantastic episode as usual.

Re. next weeks’ preview (Jack “I’m not getting off the plane”)...someone elsewhere suggested that Mason might end up taking over the job of flying the plane with the bomb into the desert since he’s dying anyway, but this would be far too sappy for “24” and would be completely illogical (even for “24” lol); the man can’t see straight and can barely walk without shaking anymore, but he’d be able to fly a plane?  I’ll be very disappointed if they do this.

To me, the boldest, most respect-worthy thing would be to follow through with it—ie, have Jack die in the nuclear explosion in the desert in the final episode—and in an unprecedented move, CANCEL THE SHOW right after it concludes its’ second season with its’ highest ratings ever, because bringing the show back for a THIRD season, with the same premise/set-up, with Jack going through yet another Longest Day of his Life, strikes me as being asinine. This season is already twice as good as last years’, and the smart thing would be to stop while they’re ahead IMHO.

But we’ll see…

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 26 February 2003 10:19 AM #37

Awesome show again, just keeps going.

Two thoughts I had.  Why didn’t the FBI director guy who was sick, who stepped down tonight, well, why didn’t he stay to help with info and opinions, but place the other person in charge in case he passes out.  You know… seems good that he had enough sense to know he wasn’t fit to be in charge, but he could still be a great help and give great advice.  Just have someone else there to make the decisions in case he can’t.

The only part of the show that really bugs me is the dumb girl in the woods (only been watching for about the past 5 or 6 episodes, so I’m not up on who’s who.)  This whole part of the story seems totally stupid and not at all pertinant to the rest of the show.  Drop it.  Just have her get killed and be done with it….

All in all, awesome show.

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 26 February 2003 11:07 AM #38

Jon—

Point #1: Good lord man, a show like this has to be watched from the beginning, or you’re totally lost! (For the record, I started watching at the beginning of the season, but picked up the entire Season 1 DVD set and watched it in a marathon session to catch myself up; missing the first season doesn’t really cause confusion for season 2, but it *does* ruin a lot of key plot points!).

On the other hand, great to have you on board as a 24 fan regardless of how late to the game you are! wink

Point #2: Regarding Mason (the CTU head who’s dying)—he’s already at the point of extreme pain and delusion, and won’t last more than a few more hours; he’s done all he can to help, now it’s time for him to find a quiet place to pass away. Staying any longer, even as an advisor, would cause more trouble than help at this point, and he knows it.

Point #3: The “dumb girl in the woods” (accurate!) is Jacks’ daughter, Kimberly. Yes, she’s an idiot. Yes, her storyline is a drag on the whole show this season (although it was integral to the plot last year). Her sole purpose on the show this year appears to be as eye candy & to fill time. I’m all for the first, although the show deserves more respect than that, but the second is highly irritating.

Signature

• Posted: 26 February 2003 08:04 PM #39

Well, never mind my “cancel the show” musings…just heard the news:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=14583

?24? and “Alias” have already been renewed for year three! 

From today?s Dow Jones business news:

[Fox Network entertainment president Gail] Berman said “24” was the fifth-highest rated program on television, and announced that Fox would renew the program for a third season. “By making the pickup now, we can give the producers ample time to go complete the course of the season, and plant the seeds for the next one,” she said.  Ms. Berman said the show would retain its 24-hour concept, but declined to confirm if series star Keifer Sutherland would return. “That could potentially give away a story line,and I’m not into doing that,” she said.

So, yayyy! It’ll be back for a third season! smile

And thank god she didn’t spill the beans about whether Jack Bauer dies or not!

Signature

• Posted: 27 February 2003 03:12 AM #40

Oh, rest assured, they won’t be giving away any story lines.  For instance, last season they filmed two endings, and not even the actors knew which one was the real one.  (They’re both included on the DVD set, which I now have but haven’t watched yet.)

• Posted: 04 March 2003 09:17 PM #41

HOLY CRAP!

*SPOILERS*
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X

WOW! They pulled it off—they managed to set off the nuclear bomb, have Jack fly the plane, and have George end up saving Jacks’ life—WITHOUT it seeming “too-contrived-even-for-24”!!

The beauty part was having George come right out and make the pitch, with Jack shooting down his idea, right at the outset—if he had switched places with Jack right away, I would’ve groaned in agony, but they way they did it seemed just-plausible enough that I bought it: George points out that it’s the *takeoff* stuff that required a completely clear head/vision, etc; towards the end, all he really has to do is hold it steady and then take a dive—he doesn’t even have to be able to land, since, of course, there *is* no landing.

The depressing parallel of this is, of course, the 9/11 WTC attacks—the terrorists didn’t have to know how to take off or land, just how to steer for a bit… :(

Plus, a big bravo to the writers for FINALLY having Kim use her brain (NOT getting into the car with yet another psycho dude). And further kudos to Elisha Cuthbert for actually showing some acting chops in the Big Goodbye scene with Keifer; I actually teared up, which takes some doing given how irritating she normally is.

Finally, a HUGE pat on the back for the “ocean-or-the-desert” scene, which thoroughly but efficiently details the enormous consequences of making EITHER choice. It’s VERY rare for a movie (much less a TV show) to have a nuclear bomb actually go off in a “real” world setting (Broken Arrow and Sum of All Fears come to mind; any others in recent years?); far rarer still for a movie/show to realistically worry about the non-immediate effects of such a catastrophic event.

So, just like last years’ mid-season “ending”, we’ve reached the “intermission” before “act two” begins.  Rumor has it that just like last years’ stunt casting of Dennis “Flashback” Hopper, this year Donald “Real Life Dad” Sutherland is supposedly going to pop up at some point as Jack Bauers’ father! smile

Bring it on, I say!

...tick, tick, tick…

—BlueDjinn

Signature

• Posted: 05 March 2003 04:02 AM #42

I agree 100% with your assessment of the ep.  Excellent all around.  BTW, I told you the bomb was going off. :D

Boy, they kept us guessing.  A friend I was watching with asked if I was sure they had renewed it for a third season (they have).  They had Jack go through the whole thing with Kim and waited well into the flight to spring the George stuff.  Somehow Jack’s insistence on the ground put the idea of that happening right out of my mind.

• Posted: 05 March 2003 04:15 AM #43

[quote author=“CrazyOne”]Somehow Jack’s insistence on the ground put the idea of that happening right out of my mind.

(chuckle) Yup, which was, of course, *exactly* the point—just like in Season One when (SPOILER FROM SEASON ONE HERE*) It’s allllll about misdirection.

THAT’S what I love about this show the most, I think—95% of the plot twists are totally unexpected, and even the 5% that are “predictable” are *still* done in a very cool way.

Meanwhile, Nina’s still alive (though supposedly in custody), Sherry’s wandering around loose, Rayburn & Armis are nowhere to be seen, and it looks like the 7th member of the strike team is the guy on the phone with Jack in next weeks’ preview.

Kim’s story, utterly lame up until this episode, will actually be somewhat logical now: she’ll be caught in the panic/riots in post-nuke California, which actually has some realistic danger/drama possibilities.

X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X

*They “address” the possibility of Nina being a mole right away, by having Jack flat-out accuse her point-blank!

Signature

• Posted: 05 March 2003 06:38 AM #44

I’m almost half way expecting Kim to do something dumb like kill herself since she thinks her father died, but I think her in the chaos of post-nuclear LA is probably better….

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 05 March 2003 06:48 AM #45

[quote author=“Jon Stanard”]I’m almost half way expecting Kim to do something dumb like kill herself since she thinks her father died, but I think her in the chaos of post-nuclear LA is probably better….

Nah, she wouldn’t kill herself—first, she *promised* her dad that she’d live her life well, bla bla bla (and a teary-eyed promise made to your father when you think he’s about to die in a nuclear blast is NOT one to make lightly!). Besides, I’m *hoping* that the writers finally realized that her negative idiocy factor has more than cancelled out her positive eye-candy factor, and will thus make her grow up a bit the rest of the season.

While I still thing it would be a terrible move to have her remain one of the major storylines in season 3, I *might* be willing to accept it *if* she isn’t an idiot in it.

Having said all that, I did note that the writers made a point of having Jack specifically instruct her to “never change who she is a bit” and so on—call me crazy, but I think this was a little dig at the viewers bitching about her lack of intelligence; it’s actually very realistic that a smart guy’s kid isn’t necessarily that bright—millions of intelligent parents have dumb kids and vice versa in real life, but they don’t love them any less for being so.

Signature