Thoughts on Flash - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 30 April 2010 10:23 AM #16

HTML5 and H.264 get support ... from MSFT!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/microsoft-weighs-in-the-future-of-the-web-is-html5/

• Posted: 30 April 2010 01:24 PM #17

Thoughts on Horses:

http://axian.tumblr.com/post/560040213

smile

• Posted: 30 April 2010 06:03 PM #18

Derrick - 30 April 2010 04:24 PM

Thoughts on Horses:

http://axian.tumblr.com/post/560040213

smile

I had to look it up, but the words are from Henry Ford’s, My Life and Work.

Signature

Off again, on again…

Posted: 30 April 2010 06:11 PM #19

Nice catch.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 May 2010 01:55 AM #20

Roughly Drafted has a great article ...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/04/30/why-steve-jobs-loves-adobe-flash/

Some choice quotes:

“What better curse could one wish upon one?s mobile platform competitors than a bunch of performance and security problems, poor battery life, a mess of user interface inconsistencies, and a malignant boil upon their efforts to develop their own third party development platforms? Jobs didn?t express such schadenfreude himself, but he can?t possibly not be ecstatic that his competitors are all rushing to wrap themselves around the neck with the dead albatross that is Adobe?s Flash.

Once Flash for mobiles actually ships and consumers see what a completely ridiculous and wildly overhyped bunch of junk it is, all those mobile platform vendors will be stuck having to rely on Adobe to roll out security patches and updates. And they?ll be forced to keep their fingers crossed that Adobe, which hasn?t bothered to invest the resources to maintain two decent desktop versions of Flash Player, will now suddenly decide to maintain five different new mobile versions of Flash Player and keep them all up to date, secure, performing acceptably, and in feature parity. All at the expense of their own native software platforms.”

• Posted: 01 May 2010 08:49 PM #22

Good find.

• Posted: 02 May 2010 01:01 AM #23

I have my own issues with Adobe software.  Currently, Acrobat won’t update on my Mac over some missing files needed during the installation process.  I have searched far and wide on Adobe’s site, and I’m still frustrated.  I’m not keen on a reinstall from ground zero. 

Adobe is responsible for its own pending decline rather than Apple’s cold shoulder.  It doesn’t help that Creative Suite is overpriced. 

The surprising thing is that Adobe’s stock has held up reasonably well against some major players signaling a change away from Flash and toward HTML5.

Posted: 02 May 2010 10:51 PM #24

Help kill Adobe’s Flash:  there’s some helpful links here including the YouTube HTML5 beta.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 05 May 2010 03:45 PM #25

Interesting Article on ZDNet with ARM’s marketing VP

“We thought [smartbooks] would be launched by now, but they’re not,” Drew told ZDNet UK on Tuesday. “I think one reason is to do with software maturity. We’ve seen things like Adobe slip ? we’d originally scheduled for something like 2009.”

ARM and Adobe signed a partnership in late 2008 that was intended to see Flash Player 10 and Air ? both rich web platforms ? optimised for ARM-based systems. That work is only likely to come to fruition in the second half of this year, when an optimised version of Flash comes out for Android smartphones. As Apple’s Steve Jobs recently pointed out, Flash was originally supposed to ship for smartphones in early 2009.

“Our target is mostly internet machines ? it becomes sort of a requirement that they run the internet,” Drew said. “[The delay in optimising] Flash has stalled it”.

Drew suggested that solving the issue of Flash optimisation had involved “lots of heavy lifting” but once the new version of Adobe’s rich media software is in place for smartbooks, that would be “very powerful” for ARM.

• Posted: 06 May 2010 06:37 AM #26

Adobe is trying to reach through the OS layer down to the chip level, making the OS somewhat irrelevant for performance, and hence making cross platform development highly attractive, hence making Apple innovation irrelevant for App developers maximising revenue.

Apple is fighting for the iPhone OS not to be marginalised again like the Mac was, making Apple product differentiation unsaleable in the larger market. The ARM/Adobe tie-in is possibly also outside the scope of Apple’s long term IP license for ARM. If it ships this year, an optimised-for-ARM Android Flash will gain early traction, especially where iPhone is not available on a carrier. But ramping up much faster than iPhone, it would almost certainly suffer a significant security breach, far more disconcerting on a smartphone than it is on a PC. Phones are held by the user to a higher standard of reliability than PC’s (or anything else client-side from Microsoft).

This lends weight to Tan’s desire that Apple should go for big market share fast. Apple’s platform needs to be as widespread as the alternatives, if it is not to succumb as Mac did to WIndows. No wonder the OS-for-money companies (Apple and MS) are uniting against Adobe on this. The problem for Apple is to avoid total market dominance, which attracts regulation, and cripples the power to innovate, (IMO the monopolist becomes a slave to the market-as-it-is).

Considering the amount of publicity Adobe have been able to get for Apple’s non-support of a product that doesn’t exist yet on any platform, this story looks likely to gain repeated front page coverage. But can Adobe ship? Large software project are always, always late. (One good reason Apple never talks about them!) I suspect that Adobe’s pained outrage is so strident because their cross-build-for-iPhone toolkit was intended to carry them over, keeping developers onside during a shipping delay management already knows is a year beyond their current public claims. This is clearly not an engineer-led Adobe project, and for any engineer who’s been in a large software engineering project, that’s a bad omen for quality and timeliness.

[ Edited: 06 May 2010 06:43 AM by sleepygeek ]      

Posted: 06 May 2010 10:12 AM #27

I think all this confusion in the market plays to Apple’s advantage in 2010.  We will have to see what 2011 brings.  The fact that Flash optimization for Android is behind schedule has resulted in no major OEM having a product available to compete against the iPad at launch because they all wanted the runs Flash bullet point. Apple has the advantage of a very clear idea of where they are going while all the others are wondering, wether their product will make it to market in time to be relevant.  Apple locked up most of the manufacturing capacity for IPS displays so any competing product will need to spend up to get a similar visual experience.  Some started out trying to deliver a Windows Slate to find that people actually cared about mobility, ease of use and battery life.  Back to the drawing board for HP.  Then Adobe which promised Flash for mobile for the beginning of 2009 is still in demo mode leaving all the OEM in wait mode.  Additionally my guess is many of the OEMs felt that the ARM 8 couldn’t provide a decent web experience with flash and decided to wait for the ARM 9.  Apple was building their own hardware and software and did a wonderful job of boosting the performance on Smartphone silicon into iPad.  This gives Apple an uncontested market.  No longer do folks have to decide which device only if they want a device.  The price is low enough that the early adopters didn’t even blink and their excitement for the device is contagious.  I’m sure iPad two is well on it way in design and is sitting in the wings waiting for some real competition. 

This is great for us consumers.

Posted: 06 May 2010 10:21 AM #28

So, if Android can run flash effectively and garner share on this bullet point, why is Google converting the biggest video site on the web to HTML5?

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 06 May 2010 12:23 PM #29

macglenn - 06 May 2010 01:21 PM

So, if Android can run flash effectively and garner share on this bullet point, why is Google converting the biggest video site on the web to HTML5?

Oh coz they’re all ganging up against Apple. If you see Google pull the HTML5 section of youtube then there will be war.

If and when Flash comes to Android and runs well without crashing then maybe, just maybe, Adobe might have a point. Until then it is just posturing.

Signature

Posted: 06 May 2010 01:23 PM #30

macglenn - 06 May 2010 01:21 PM

Scribd is also converting all their docs to HTML5 and dumping Flash.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore