Anyone else having iPhone 4 pre-order problems?

• Posted: 15 June 2010 01:47 PM

I tried from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. EST this morning to pre-order.  Either I could not connect to Apple or AT&T at all, or I would get timed out halfway into the process.  On Apple site, I finally got to the point of their needing to connect to AT&T to check on my account.  At this point, it always timed out. 

I went to my local AT&T store and was told there was a 1.5-2.0 hour wait to pre-order.  I heard the guy on info desk telling a caller they were having great difficulty getting through to pre-order.  He suggested to the caller to call back later.  When the door person asked if I wanted to get on the list, I told her I was going to check at BestBuy.

At BestBuy, I waited five minutes to talk to a clerk.  She asked me how many iPhones I wanted, got my phone number, and charged my credit card $50 - she then gave me a BestBuy Gift Card for $50.  She said I was number 4 on the pre-order list and that I would be called to schedule my pick-up appointment.

It appears that AT&T is the bottleneck for pre-orders.  Having to connect to their system to check on accounts is the problem.  BestBuy is eliminating that step.  I was in the store less than 10 minutes.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 02:00 PM #1

I have a friend who is just about to go get the paper towels to wipe his eyes. He has not been able to place an order yet although he has tried since 6am.

SAI are now also saying 2 million units for the opening weekend.

Signature

• Posted: 15 June 2010 02:27 PM #2

I’ve been trying all morning also. Can’t get by the AT&T authorization. How many times does this kind of stuff have to happen? AT&T is definitely the weak link. Seems like a waste to take a trip to an Apple store as they won’t be able to authorize either.

Posted: 15 June 2010 02:35 PM #3

After “The Weasle” Schmidt, ATT is the worst enemy Apple has.

SERIOUSLY.

I have tried 8 or so times, from 5AM, with no luck.

HONESTLY, how incompetant does ATT have to BE before Apple opens up the iPhone in the USA to more carriers?

It is incomprehsible how badly they have HURT the iPhone with poor connections, and EVERY launch day botched….

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 15 June 2010 02:38 PM #4

Go to BestBuy for only a short wait and get a $50 Gift Cert. to boot.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 02:39 PM #5

I gave up trying to order online and went to my local AT&T store a few minutes before they opened. There were five people ahead of me waiting to preorder who also gave up trying to order online. I was out ten minutes later with my order. He said I will be able to pick it up on the 24th. I’m doubtful.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 02:55 PM #6

mac/win - 15 June 2010 05:38 PM

The $50 Gift Cert. is later applied to the purchase price. It’s Best Buys method for collecting a deposit. If you never buy the iPhone you get your $50 back by shopping at Best Buy for something else.

Posted: 15 June 2010 02:57 PM #7

TanToday - 15 June 2010 05:35 PM

HONESTLY, how incompetant does ATT have to BE before Apple opens up the iPhone in the USA to more carriers?

In all fairness, we don’t really know how any of the other carriers would handle this amount of volume and traffic.  Steve even said something like this at the All Things D conference.  Verizon might have flopped just as badly.

I just don’t get why after 3 years of this, AT&T hasn’t purchased enough servers to be able to handle the traffic.  Or maybe their tech people are just wildly incompetent.

That said, after failing to get a pre-order after 3 hours, I tried Apple’s new “Apple Store” app just released.  Smartly, Apple decided to ditch the pre-authorization and allow you to reserve a phone if AT&T’s network times out.

Note: To reserve more than 1 phone, you have to log out of your iTunes account in Preferences and log in with another account.  I successfully reserved 2 phones this way.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 03:24 PM #8

willrob - 15 June 2010 05:55 PM
    mac/win - 15 June 2010 05:38 PM

The $50 Gift Cert. is later applied to the purchase price. It’s Best Buys method for collecting a deposit. If you never buy the iPhone you get your $50 back by shopping at Best Buy for something else.

:dunce:  Well, still the wait is short.  LOL

• Posted: 15 June 2010 03:28 PM #9

No luck for me either. And I just noticed that white phones are no longer available for preorder.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 03:38 PM #10

I just tried again. I was switched to a screen that asked if I wanted to pick one up on the morning of the 24th and gave me a choice of several stores. I chose one and it told me to bring a government issued id that morning. No credit card info requested. I’m a little skeptical.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 03:40 PM #11

And the iPhone app just told me they’re no longer taking reservations via the app.

Posted: 15 June 2010 03:43 PM #12

My screen said the same thing. If you click on the faq link it said to bring credit card, soc sec number and I.d. It seemed like the request did’t fully load. Have not received email confirming yet, we’ll see what happens.

• Posted: 15 June 2010 03:49 PM #13

Never mind regarding iPhone app….my order did apparently go through per confirming email. Wasn’t clear via app.

Posted: 15 June 2010 04:24 PM #14

Those who have problems, are you upgrading from an existing contract or entering a new contract?  My suspicion is that only upgraders have problem.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 June 2010 04:35 PM #15

I think the issue is more with people with existing contracts.