iPhone 4 accessories

• Posted: 26 June 2010 03:22 PM

This is a thread to discuss accessories for iPhone 4, including cases and any other hardware that works with it.

What do you have so far? What accessories do you want to see?

• Posted: 26 June 2010 03:42 PM #1

Yesterday I went to Best Buy in hopes of finding Apple’s “bumper” case but alas they didn’t have any. I ended up getting a Belkin Grip Vue (about $25.)

I opted for the “clear” version. I was hesitant about getting a clear case but I think it looks good. In my experience with clear cases on my older iPhone, any dirt or lint that gets inside is quite visible. But this one is foggy rather than crystal-clear, so hopefully dirt will be less visible than other clear cases I’ve seen in action.

The material is a rather stiff gel. It’s harder than most latex/rubber cases, but still flexible, not a hard plastic. This gives it a nice feel, but since the case does cover the volume and lock buttons, it reduces tactile feedback. You have to press rather hard to activate the volume buttons in particular, but hopefully that will soften up in time. It doesn’t bug me enough to be a deal-breaker, but some users may not like that.

The verdict? I think this case is a fine choice. It probably offers more comprehensive protection than the Apple bumpers (which I haven’t seen firsthand just yet), but that comes at the price of obscuring the nice glassy back of the phone.

Posted: 26 June 2010 04:54 PM #2

I’m just looking for anything at this point.  Solutions exist but everything’s sold out for now.  The Bumper is outrageously expensive, and I prefer to cover the iPhone to protect and obscure the back - this day and age, I just feel like making it less obvious I have an iPhone if you know what I mean.

Marware seems to have a decent entry-level $20 silicone case.  InCase was my old case of choice, but the silicone case has a shelf life of about one year max,  and my iPhone still had some scuffs on it.  I’m still using it and my old screen antiglare protector until something better comes along.  PowerSupport makes a decent screen protector but I never noticed the “fuzzy” effect it has on the screen until I used it on this screen. But hey, if I get too spoiled, I may never want to look at another display ever again- just too low-res wink

[ Edited: 26 June 2010 04:59 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 June 2010 05:14 PM #3

Mav - 26 June 2010 07:54 PM

I’m just looking for anything at this point.  Solutions exist but everything’s sold out for now.  The Bumper is outrageously expensive, and I prefer to cover the iPhone to protect and obscure the back - this day and age, I just feel like making it less obvious I have an iPhone if you know what I mean.

Marware seems to have a decent entry-level $20 silicone case.  InCase was my old case of choice, but the silicone case has a shelf life of about one year max,  and my iPhone still had some scuffs on it.  I’m still using it and my old screen antiglare protector until something better comes along.  PowerSupport makes a decent screen protector but I never noticed the “fuzzy” effect it has on the screen until I used it on this screen. But hey, if I get too spoiled, I may never want to look at another display ever again- just too low-res wink

This is where I got my last case and they have some in stock. (I have the leather)

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/iPhone-4-Cases.asp

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 26 June 2010 05:54 PM #4

As I posted elsewhere: free ones

Posted: 26 June 2010 08:05 PM #5

mbeauch - 26 June 2010 08:14 PM

This is where I got my last case and they have some in stock. (I have the leather)

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/iPhone-4-Cases.asp

When I meant “anything”, maybe I didn’t mean a “tire tread” back (Vroom case).  I might be able to get over the, er, interesting pattern.  But that thing will pick up more dust than a car floor mat!  They do have some other interesting cases though, thanks for the tip.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 June 2010 11:56 PM #6

Speck announced the “candy shell” for iPhone 4 http://www.speckproducts.com/products/candyshell/iphone-4/240

Signature

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don?t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ?For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.?
    2 Corinthians 9:7

• Posted: 27 June 2010 02:07 AM #7

Not an accessory ... listened to the Engadget podcast and they raved about a game which takes advantage of the gyro ... Eliminate: Gunrange ... only works on iPhone 4.

• Posted: 27 June 2010 05:23 AM #8

willrob - 26 June 2010 08:54 PM

As I posted elsewhere: free ones

Thanks for pointing that out. Today I ordered the Pure Crystal Slip case in green. Sure, I already have a case, but for under $5 shipped I can’t pass it up!

• Posted: 27 June 2010 05:25 AM #9

djtavo - 27 June 2010 02:56 AM

Speck announced the “candy shell” for iPhone 4 http://www.speckproducts.com/products/candyshell/iphone-4/240

Those look pretty attractive. I’ll have to keep them in mind in case I grow tired of the case(s) I already have! smile

Posted: 06 July 2010 09:26 PM #10

Got my case-mate Vroom case in the mail the other day.  Pretty nice if you like the “softer” silicone-type cases out there, they have a smoother, less grippy feel.  If you like InCase-type silicone cases though (which I basically do despite the somewhat iffy durability), which tend to fit more snugly and have a more secure grip, it’ll take some getting used to. 

It’s got the basic protection thing down and has full access to ports (thicker third-party dock connector cables will fit, but the case will bend a bit), camera/flash, hold switch, and doesn’t cover the noise-cancelling microphone up top.  Decent value for $15, I think.

The included screen protector (glossy type, I like antiglare myself) is quite unremarkable, and if you can’t tell right away which half was the backing and which half is the screen protector, boom, instant trapped dust.  It bends and smudges easily too.  Oh well, I was eventually going to buy a more “dedicated” screen protector down the road anyway.

I might still go back to InCase depending on whether the Vroom case leads to more drops (I sure hope it doesn’t).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 July 2010 11:24 AM #11

iLounge has reviews/previews of iPhone 4 cases here.

Apple?s iPhone 4 Bumpers? Ugh. There?s not much more to say about the iPhone 4 Bumper ?Cases? other than that they?re rip-offs?ridiculous pricing given that they offer no front or back protection, and the rubber/plastic design pinches CandyShell, too, without offering its other advantages. While we like the metallic buttons that are built into the Bumpers, the cases? almost complete incompatibility with headphone and Dock Connector accessories makes them a huge pain to actually use with anything. We wouldn?t recommend them to anyone.

• Posted: 18 July 2010 05:02 PM #12

Apple has removed the Bumpers from the on-line store in preparation for the “free” order process later in the week. I went out on Friday as soon as Steve Jobs was done talking and picked one up at the local Apple Store.

I’m not sure I’m totally satisfied with them as my only deterrent to destroying the phone by dropping, but my 3rd part dock does work with it?older dock connector cables don’t however.

I find the phone very slippery and with my 3G/3Gs models I used a grippy silicone case (DLH brand, who have no iP4 versions yet). I snagged a few of the free cases offered lately (for shipping cost of a couple bucks) and while they do the trick as far as decreasing the slipperiness (and the whole antenna issue), I’m wary of their only covering the back and sides of the phone and thus not assuring the case won’t slip off when pulled from my pocket.

The DLH Jam Jacket has a home button pocket to tuck the phone into, which coupled with its padded corners made me feel the phone was very secure. So far the only cases I’ve seen that have this bottom pocket are the SwitchEasy Color cases. But it’s hard to judge the thickness and stickiness of their material. i like to set the phone on the car seat next to me and stickiness for me means it won’t slide off if I make a sudden stop.