Apple Retail Store Experiences (Archive)

• Posted: 12 July 2010 04:20 AM

I was at two Apple retail stores today - Glendale, CA and Sherman Oaks, CA - in my ultimately successful search for a 32GB iPad with 3G. I’ll write more about the purchase saga later. I was able to purchase an iPad without a reservation and without wait at an Apple retail store today.

Both stores were packed with visitors and it was a challenge to find space at a Mac on display in either store for a even quick Web search. Not only were the Mac spots occupied, virtually all other hardware items on display were being handled by store visitors.

Since I was determined to buy an iPad today and the first Apple retail store I visited was out of stock, I purchased the desired accessories in the event I ended up at the Best Buy in Santa Clarita which reported having the 64 GB model (and only the 64 GB model) in stock for immediate purchase. The Burbank Best Buy reported no iPads in stock. Usually if you walk around an Apple retail store with product in your hand for a minute or two a store staff member will find you. Today I had to make an effort to find an available store staff member to handle the purchase transactions.

I don’t recall seeing Apple retail stores this busy outside of the holiday season.

[ Edited: 21 February 2011 04:33 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 13 July 2010 09:04 AM #1

Last Tuesday, I was in the apple store in Munich Germany. The place was virtual a beehive of activity—i had to wait five minutes to get my hands on an iPhone 4! Since I live in Canada, I had to travel a long way to try one. The store is in a prime tourist area so all the stores were very busy, but the apple store was completely packed!

• Posted: 13 July 2010 04:27 PM #2

Was in the brand new Uptown store last evening.  It was steady busy but not crazy.  The demographic was considerably more urban than either City Center or Southdale locations.  I was well taken care of by a genius who apologized numerous times for them running late.  They graciously gave my wife, son and I a tour of the upstairs conference room and outdoor deck.  It’s a gorgeous store.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 13 July 2010 04:53 PM #3

Pioneer Place, Portland, OR…the very urban heart of downtown.  first of all the no-class Verizon kiosk that they plunked down just outside the door of the Apple store finally went belly up.  The Apple store employees really miss it because it made it easy for customers to get their Verizon account information before switching to an iPhone.

Today the store was packed at noon.  Eleven people were handling iPhones, and two sales were in progress.  Most of the other action was around the iMacs and laptops.  I also saw two people dropping off Dell boxes to have the files swapped to their new Mac Minis.  Sales of this model may be starting to accelerate.

I asked the sales people if they were giving away iPhones, since obviously nobody wanted them anymore, and they just laughed.

Posted: 27 July 2010 06:01 PM #4

I visited the Bellevue, Washington, store several times over the weekend.  It was packed, more than usual, and in the few minutes I was there I noticed three MacBooks and one iPad sold.  Virtually every pad, phone, and computer station was occupied.  We need a bigger store.

Posted: 08 August 2010 04:55 PM #5

Went to the st-Catherine store in Montreal today 20 minutes after opening

About 60 person on the first floor and 40 on the second floor

Of course no iphone available for me

Seems like this quarter will again be a record one

• Posted: 08 August 2010 06:22 PM #6

My Apple retail store experiences that prompted me to start this topic are detailed in this blot post.

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:05 PM #7

I was in the Apple Store in Monterey last night. I was lucky enough to find the last camera kit for iPad.  They had 32 gig iPhones in stock.  It was light traffic.

Posted: 08 August 2010 09:01 PM #8

omacvi - 08 August 2010 11:05 PM

I was in the Apple Store in Monterey last night. I was lucky enough to find the last camera kit for iPad.  They had 32 gig iPhones in stock.  It was light traffic.

Spongy, where you been?  Is everything OK? :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 09 August 2010 12:48 PM #9

mbeauch - 09 August 2010 12:01 AM
    omacvi - 08 August 2010 11:05 PM

Spongy, where you been?  Is everything OK? :innocent:

I am fine.  Been busy with life and not done traveling this summer.  Will be in Maui in two weeks.

I don’t see Vegas until next year.

• Posted: 11 August 2010 01:45 AM #10

Today I went to the Apple store located in the Christiana Mall in Delaware. A couple of miscellaneous observations.

The place was packed. The place has been packed every time I’ve been there, no matter what the day or what the hour.

About two months ago the store moved from one location in the mall to a larger location. I asked one of the sales clerks about the size difference. They said the store was about 1/3 deeper and that is was wide enough to add a row of tables. In other words, the old store had four aisles and three tables and the new store has five isles and four tables. That’s a lot more display space.

It seemed like there were 30 or more Mac people working there. I should have counted them.

They had the WiFi only iPad, but no WiFi/3G iPads. So stock is still constrained.

Finally, on a weird note, the girl who helped me was wearing a bandana covering her hair. Later I saw a rep wearing a hat. And not a normal hat either. I looked around and saw another rep wearing a hat. I thought that was weird and I was bold enough to ask what their dress policy was. Pretty much, they wear a blue shirt and then do what they please. It made me feel like going out and buying a hat.

• Posted: 11 August 2010 01:54 AM #11

omacvi - 09 August 2010 03:48 PM

I don’t see Vegas until next year.

When was AAPL’s price target changed to $400 for Vegas?  I never thought I’d visualize Mr. Sponge in a bear costume.  We’ll see $300 before we see you in fur on Halloween.

• Posted: 11 August 2010 02:01 AM #12

Mercel - 11 August 2010 04:54 AM

We’ll see $300 before we see you in fur on Halloween.

Agreed.  grin

• Posted: 11 August 2010 02:01 AM #13

I suppose we’ll see FalKirk in a hat, too.  :wink:

• Posted: 14 August 2010 03:31 PM #14

I decided to buy an iPad for my mother. I had been going back and forth about whether to get the WiFi or the 3G version. The last time I went to the store, they only had the WiFi version, so I thought my decision was made for me.

I went to the Apple Retail Store in the Christiana Mall in Delaware (no sales tax). I thought that it would be fairly empty if I got there early. I had it exactly backwards. Apparently the early hours are very busy since people come in to buy items before the inventory is sold out.

As it turned out, the store had received a big shipment that day. They had phones and iPads, but, ironically, they were sold out of the WiFi only version of the iPad. I switched strategies and went with the 3G version.

There were at least 20 sales people in the store. There were 5 other “geniuses”. They weren’t even close to being able to handle the crush of customers. It took me almost an hour to get waited on. When I left - around 11:30 AM - there was a line of 8 to 10 people waiting for a rep to take care of them. The Apple sales reps were carrying phones and iPads out of the back by the armful. People were handing over huge wads of cash. Several people offered me money to help them buy more phones than they were permitted under Apple’s policies. It was bizarre. An Apple sales rep asked me how people knew that the store had received a big shipment that day. I was the wrong person to ask. I had just stumbled into the store that day by accident.

We all know that Apple is going to have a huge quarter. The only thing stopping sales is the number of units they can make. And I think they are making them like mad. This reminds me of the beanie babies type buying frenzies except that it goes on day after day, week after week, month after month. Eventually, sales will diminish. But not until after the holidays. The iPad and iPhone sales are simply going to blow the uninformed away. Apple - one of the largest companies in the world - is poised for explosive growth over the next six months.

P.S. Only one sales rep was wearing a hat (the same one as last time).

• Posted: 14 August 2010 06:38 PM #15

Weeks later, iPhone 4 lines still huge

As recent reports have stated, the iPhone 4 seems to be sold out in a number of Apple stores, despite supplies that are constantly arriving. Apple’s Web site states a three-week wait before new iPhone 4s are being shipped.

It’s worse than that, I discovered. Not only is it hard to come by, but there are still lines nearly as long as they were on the original launch day, even on August 13. How can this be?

The author also wonders how people know that shipments have come in.