The iPad: Plain and Simple, It’s Just Amazing

• Posted: 15 July 2010 02:04 AM

I finally purchased an iPad for personal use last weekend.After four days of personal use I remain amazed at what this product delivers especially when using apps specifically designed for the product. 

From a revenue standpoint the sale of an iPad is similar in impact to the sale of an iPhone. With all of the attention paid to the iPhone of late, the iPad and its significance to Apple may be overlooked. The implementation of iAds is quite impressive on iOS apps and I don’t even mind viewing ads on the iPad the way they are presented.

This is one product that will keep me bullish on Apple for the next few quarters. I still see $400 per share by May of next year.

Posted: 15 July 2010 02:36 AM #1

The iPad’s a curious device that way.  It’s “a big iPhone 4”, kinda sorta, and somewhat “limited” in functionality in comparison. OTOH, it’s quite speedy, it’s great for web browsing, battery life is crazy good (the tablet class never dreamed of 10 hours use), and the apps are getting increasingly compelling, moreso when the steady arrival of 960x640 res apps makes “iPad-izing” the app either trivial or a non-issue with very minor screen space loss.  It really seems like it has its own identity, though I have to wonder how long it’ll be before it’s 1024x768 screen sees some kind of res boost - the Retina Display has spoiled me forever on every other display on the planet.

The iPhone 4 brouhaha makes something stunningly clear - the complete absence of any complaints about the iPad.  Customer satisfaction is probably off the charts, even by Apple standards.  iPad will be a revs/earnings force to be reckoned with as long as Apple keeps improving on the device year after year.

If the market “cooperates”, I can see myself getting an “around the house and sometimes out of it” iPad, maybe a second-gen model, sometime next year.

iPad will also really help the iAds platform - as long as the ad makers start to standardize on higher-resolution content (hint to Nissan for the future).  I _want_ to see iAds.  I imagine a whole bunch of people do.  They’re what banner ads should’ve been all along.  We just need more variety now…I’ve only seen the Nissan Leaf iAd, and once you’ve finished browsing it, you probably won’t want or need to ever look at it again.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 09:31 AM #2

I can’t believe how excited I was last night that the new issue of National Geographic had arrived on my iPad. I hadn’t subscribed to a magazine in 15 years, and now I get Macworld, National Geographic, MacUser, Smithsonian, Science Illustrated, Audubon, and Blackbook magazines and can’t wait for each new issue. Zooming in on the fabulous images is so exciting to me; click on the slide shows and videos ... wow!

Joe on CNBC’s Squawk Box went into an Apple Store to see what all the hubbub was about, and now has an iPhone 4 and and iPad. “Hook, line and sinker” I think he said. He said this morning: ‘it’s so fast’. Meanwhile, scrolling at the bottom of the screen was the “Apple to hold press conference Friday” story. The whole world will be watching. !!!

Signature

Hocus pokus, hope it don’t poke us in the eye.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 01:08 PM #3

Mav - 15 July 2010 05:36 AM

The iPad’s a curious device that way.  It’s “a big iPhone 4”, kinda sorta, and somewhat “limited” in functionality in comparison. ...

The curious thing for me, after using the iPad since Day One, is that I feel that the iPhone is a mini iPad. I feel kind of cramped when using the phone, when I did not feel that way at all before I got the iPad. The iPad feels normal and the phone feels small…  [Although the feeling is markedly less on the iPhone 4.]

• Posted: 15 July 2010 01:15 PM #4

What Apps are you all enjoying on the iPad?  Besides the obvious iBooks etc. 

Do any of you use it for business purposes or just entertainment?  I have a lot of clients that are using this on the weekends instead of dragging their laptops home or to their summer weekend spots.

Apps like Evernote, SignMyPad, DropBox and Desktop (for remote desktop of course) are helping me love my choice to get an iPad.

I feel kind of cramped when using the phone, when I did not feel that way at all before I got the iPad. The iPad feels normal and the phone feels small?

The phone feels terribly small to me too!  I’ve gotten spoiled with the size and weight of the iPad too.

[ Edited: 15 July 2010 01:19 PM by VCNinja ]      

Posted: 15 July 2010 02:14 PM #5

If anyone would like to try my 99 cent illustrated non-fiction e-book, tested on iPads, post a message here and I will PM the link.  Note: not in the iBook format.  :

I gave up on the free sample method cuz I don’t want the 1-star rating from the lowrent crowd.

Posted: 15 July 2010 02:22 PM #6

If anyone would like to try my 99 cent illustrated non-fiction e-book, tested on iPads, post a message here and I will PM the link.  Note: it is not in the iBook format. 

I gave up on the free sample method cuz I don’t want the 1-star rating from the lowrent crowd.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 03:17 PM #7

FaceTime to use e-mail to make iPod touch, iPad calls

This answers a question I had in another thread about the possibility of FaceTime without a phone involved.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 03:35 PM #8

iPad iOS 3.2.1 has been released along with the 4.01 iPhone update.

• Posted: 15 July 2010 11:34 PM #9

Douglas Stanton - 15 July 2010 12:31 PM

I can’t believe how excited I was last night that the new issue of National Geographic had arrived on my iPad.

NG on the iPad! I’ll have to check that out! If there’s back issues search I’m there!