I’m Sick of Android vs. iPhone

• Posted: 08 October 2010 08:56 PM #16

PC Mag: People have been saying that the freedom of Android has basically meant that the carriers are free to screw the consumers.

Rubin: If I were to release an operating system that I claimed was open and that forced everybody to make [phones] all look the same and all support very narrow features and functionality, the platform wouldn?t win. It wouldn?t win because the OEMs have a lot of value to bring and the carriers have a lot of value to bring, and they need a vehicle by which to put their interesting differentiating features on these things.

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370464,00.asp

Really?

I’m sick of all this talk that open is always more innovative. Open CAN, by it’s nature, encourage innovation, but take a look at Android. The phones that are considered most desirable are the ones that cleave closest to the purest versions of Android as promulgated by Google. In other words, people are happiest with the UNALTERED versions of Android.

Tell me this, Mr. Rubin. What value have the manufacturers brought to Android? What value have the carriers brought to Android? In almost every instance, changes to Android made by the manufacturers and the carriers have been changes FOR THE WORSE.

Posted: 08 October 2010 09:19 PM #17

FalKirk - 08 October 2010 11:56 PM

PC Mag: People have been saying that the freedom of Android has basically meant that the carriers are free to screw the consumers.

Rubin: If I were to release an operating system that I claimed was open and that forced everybody to make [phones] all look the same and all support very narrow features and functionality, the platform wouldn?t win. It wouldn?t win because the OEMs have a lot of value to bring and the carriers have a lot of value to bring, and they need a vehicle by which to put their interesting differentiating features on these things.

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370464,00.asp

Really?

I’m sick of all this talk that open is always more innovative. Open CAN, by it’s nature, encourage innovation, but take a look at Android. The phones that are considered most desirable are the ones that cleave closest to the purest versions of Android as promulgated by Google. In other words, people are happiest with the UNALTERED versions of Android.

Tell me this, Mr. Rubin. What value have the manufacturers brought to Android? What value have the carriers brought to Android? In almost every instance, changes to Android made by the manufacturers and the carriers have been changes FOR THE WORSE.

Part of the problem IMO is many people equate “open” with “free”.  mp3 is “open” and AAC is “proprietary” not free(BS).  When we start saying Flash is open compared to HTML 5 or Nokia decides to open source Symbian to try and gain developer interest in the platform the average consumer has no idea of what is actually happening, but figures open is better then closed.  Business exists to make a profit so when folks like Google claim Do no Evil and we are more open, it is a smoke screen.  Consumers trust brands because companies deliver on their ideals.  Apple is probably more closed then most but that hardly means they are not interested in meeting the consumers needs much like Google and Android.  I hate how the tech press paints closed wall garden as automatically a bad thing.  Many folks thrive in a curated market.  Too much choice can be a bad thing.  Google open sourced Android, but they are hardly the first to deliver a version of Linux, and watch as all the bit players destroy the vision.  Google made the mistake of thinking the other players in the market had a similar vision.  The beauty of Apple’s closed system is they can actually deliver the vision.  Whether you buy into is a different question, but the Android of today is probably not what Google envisioned while the iPhone is on a steady glide path.