AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 10 August 2010 02:53 AM #16

Bank of America Corp., hit by last month?s disclosure of a potential $10 billion charge tied to new regulations, may add $13 billion to its book value when it posts gains from a Chinese bank stake for the first time in October.

I cannot make this junk up. Basically BAC has had its butt handed to it because everybody on the street knows that it will write off a $10B loss next Q in order to comply with the people I most assuredly will try to vote out of office who passed legislation that shut down the high speed V recovery (I digress). But wait, rumor is that BAC will pull a rabbit out of its hat and post next Q $13B of gains from its 11% stake in China Construction Bank.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-10/bank-of-america-may-get-13-billion-capital-boost-from-china-banking-stake.html

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 August 2010 02:59 AM #17

So how much does BAC go up tomorrow? $1 maybe $1.50. Should lift the whole market until 1:30.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 10:45 AM #18

mbeauch - 10 August 2010 05:59 AM

So how much does BAC go up tomorrow? $1 maybe $1.50. Should lift the whole market until 1:30.

BAC go up? You’re kidding, right? I own this stock, and it’s never gone up since I bought it. Up would mean I’m experiencing an alternate universe. I have troubles enough with this one, thank you.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 11:19 AM #19

artman1033 - 10 August 2010 02:14 PM

NOW, we will be forced to review past AT&T 10-Qs to see if the wording has changed….

DARN..

Thanks in advance.  :-D

Posted: 10 August 2010 12:53 PM #20

willrob - 10 August 2010 01:45 PM
    mbeauch - 10 August 2010 05:59 AM

BAC go up? You’re kidding, right? I own this stock, and it’s never gone up since I bought it. Up would mean I’m experiencing an alternate universe. I have troubles enough with this one, thank you.

Ken Fisher in his Three Questions that Count asks, (1) What do you believe that is actually false? (2) How can I fathom what others find unfathomable? And, (3) What the heck is my brain doing to blindside me now? In my case we knew new banking regulation would come but I didn’t believe that our government would foster an atmosphere against the financial sector for so long. Neither did I believe that the healthcare bill would be so devastating to the continuation of our V-shaped recovery which would stupefy investors by inactivity under the dual-headed hydra of simultaneous fears of both inflation and deflation.

However, the real issue with banks is that we don’t have enough information about the stability of their asset value or the assurance of which model to apply toward consumer defaults. What we are beginning to see is the emergence of a kind of stagflation as people roll into assets that hurt if they dropped them on their feet along with continued high unemployment (meaning the cost of living is creeping up without increasing demand from speculators piling into commodities). The uncertainty over a second dip weighs on every investor’s mind and so people are keeping their money in their war chests expecting that equities to go on fire sale at some point. The blindside is that the double-dip may not come to fruition which is why I’ve been using trading profits to continue accumulate equities.

At any-rate, time will heal the financial sectors problems and every month we go forward investors have a better picture of the toxic asset situation and banks are fiscally stronger. That said, it would be nice to see BAC drop the increased scrutiny from its regulator and investors have no idea why BAC was denied when they applied for the release. For this reason BAC is seen as in a weaker light than its peers.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 10 August 2010 01:11 PM #21

artman1033 - 10 August 2010 04:03 PM

Eric and ALL other AFB members:

Note that the lovely Erin wants the new GM stock offering to be a BETTER DEAL for taxpayers. She suggests the banks got off easy.

I would not invest Erin’s money into GM, much less mine.

The ONLY ones to benefit from GM’s offering will be the UAW retirees.

Washington HATES the banks.

I don’t think it will change soon.

I want to short GM into the ground and then into non-existence. GM refused to honor the warrantee on that Escalade I had until the day after GM told me to take a hike.

That aside, the problem is that no economic recovery can take place until the financial sector participates and properly framed, banks should be viewed as co-laborers in recovery and not as the evil, capitalist empire.

[ Edited: 10 August 2010 01:13 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

• Posted: 10 August 2010 03:36 PM #22

We seriously need the RALLY MONKEY to show up ! LMAO…

[ Edited: 10 August 2010 03:44 PM by thealct ]      
  • Posted: 10 August 2010 03:46 PM #23

thealct - 10 August 2010 06:36 PM

We seriously need the RALLY MONKEY to show up ! LMAO…

I think we need a different organ grinder than Ben Bernanke :wink:
    Ben just has the “unusual uncertainty monkey” living at the Fed right now

Posted: 10 August 2010 04:53 PM #24

Compared to earlier, this is not that bad. I am sure we will get the volatile “this is what he meant” swings.

Just found out that we have to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning, dang, looks like it is going to be a long night. :bugeyed:

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words. :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 05:26 PM #25

Goodluck Mark

• Posted: 10 August 2010 05:31 PM #26

Mark

Hope GF and you pull through this stronger, emotionally and physically.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 05:33 PM #27

Artman,

How does one find the Implied Volatility for AAPL. How is that calculated. The reason I ask is there was a posting on the Yahoo board regarding pinning as many are baffled as to why AAPL is stuck at 260 for 3 weeks, and response was as follows.

If anyone has been paying attention, the implied volatility
    has been dropping after an initial surge following the last earning report. The current range will stay in effect until the current implied volatility drops enough that the big money players are going to quit selling at the current
    levels and let it move up a strike price. Any quick move up will reestablish a higher implied volatility level and the
    option premiums will again be worth selling. The weekly premiums are much lower than they were a couple of weeks ago and if the price doesn’t move much in the next couple of weeks, look for a sharp move higher to reestablish the needed IV levels to profitably sell options.

The next level is unknown because of the lack of history with weekly options. I will guarantee you the move up will be once again be pinned to a strike price for a number of weeks after the initial move. The good news is the stock will move higher. If you are selling options, this is a goldmine. Wait for it. It will happen!

As long as there is a huge incentive to pin the stock price because of high option premiums, this puppy is going nowhere. However, the premiums have been shrinking so the option sellers will eventually allow the stock to move to a higher level so they can simply repeat the process for a few weeks. The weekly option premiums have changed a lot of investing strategies. I am no exception to that fact.
    Remember, the call sellers are bullish or they wouldn’t be holding the stock themselves. To be honest, there are more factors than just Greeks and options involved here. I think options are the most limiting current factor though. People need to listen. If not, then continue being confused as to why the stock price is not moving up.

Thoughts

[ Edited: 10 August 2010 05:41 PM by thealct ]      
  • Posted: 11 August 2010 01:17 AM #28

Wednesday

R4         267.84
      midpoint   266.39
    R3       264.94
      midpoint   263.49
    R2       262.04
      midpoint   261.38
    R1       260.72
      midpoint   259.93
    PP       259.14
      midpoint   258.48
    S1       257.82
      midpoint   257.03
    S2       256.24
      midpoint   254.79
    S3       253.34
      midpoint   251.89
    S4       250.44

Posted: 11 August 2010 11:12 AM #29

FUD hits a new low

• Posted: 11 August 2010 11:19 AM #30

zulu - 11 August 2010 02:12 PM

FUD hits a new low

After 12 paragraphs of nudge nudge wink wink he says:

Here it is: Many, many, many people who pride themselves on a hard and shrewd level of realism believe that Steve Jobs is a goner. They believe that after treatments and transplants and the ministrations of spin doctors, he?s a goner still.

Signature