Apple iPad Productivity Tools

• Posted: 06 September 2010 11:22 PM #16

DawnTreader - 28 August 2010 08:33 PM

I just purchased Manage by kerofrog.

This app looks downright cool and the $2.99 admission price appears to be worth the investment. I’ll be putting this product through its paces in the coming weeks.I’ve been looking for a decent GTD app for awhile and I’m settling on this one to try.

Just to follow-up:

I’ve been using Manage to organize my work tasks and I’ve found it to be quite a useful GTD app. The ability to export and email tasks lists in .pdf form is quite a plus. I’d like to see the developer add the ability to export notes with the tasks.

• Posted: 07 September 2010 01:59 AM #17

Things is my preferred task management solution.  There are iPhone/iTouch, iPad and OSx versions of the software.

http://culturedcode.com/things/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/things-for-ipad/id364365411?mt=8

http://www.tuaw.com/tag/Things/

Quick Things for iPad video on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVruDH16tRc

It sync’s across all platforms so update a task when on the road with iPhone is updated on the desktop and ipad as well.

I’ve also added an action script or something so whenever I send a mail to myself with a @ at the start of the subject it automatically adds a todo item in the inbox of Things and deletes the email.  This is great to quickly add todo items just forward a mail to yourself and add a @ to the start fo the subject and you get a todo with the subject of the mail and a link direct to mail with the details of the email to action.

I’ve tried Omnifocus and most of the others and personally found Things works best for me.  The “Things” name I understand is the “T” from GTD (Getting “Things” Done by David Allen)  so if you are into the GTD methodology it’s definitely on the shortlist of programs to check out.

[ Edited: 07 September 2010 02:02 AM by kiwirob ]      
  • Posted: 04 January 2011 05:12 PM #18

rezonate - 23 August 2010 11:13 PM

I have Omnifocus for both iPhone and iPad. Used the beta for Mac until they started charging. All three devices ($80+$20+$40) is a little steep for me.

Not only is there the per-device purchase price you highlight for apps that aren’t universal, but on top of that, there’s the cost for multiple apps themselves - one for tasks, one for shopping, one for health, one travel, etc.

I’m using a universal app called LifeTopix that provides capabilities for all the areas I need to manage to be really “productive”. And they work together so I don’t have the cost of jumping back and forth between multiple apps, re-entering the same information in multiple places, etc. You might want to take a look at that.

• Posted: 05 January 2011 12:08 AM #19

As I posted back in November, I invested in OmniFocus for the iPad and iPhone. I consider it money well spent. The iPhone version turns my iPhone into a “pocket iPad” for task management. Both versions synch through MobileMe.

I now bypass my work PC and use my iPad for contact, calendar and project management. Essentially, my work PC has become a limited-use utensil.

• Posted: 28 January 2011 06:11 PM #20

Hi DawnTreader! Here are some of the iPad productivity tools I use to get things done more efficiently:

- Things. It’s a great task manager with an incredible user interface. You’ll really get all your work done more effectively with this app.

- Quicksilver. It’s a free productivity tool that many users consider as the best application launcher and utility software.

- BusyCal. If you’re looking for a reliable calendar that you can share with others (especially for business or work purposes) and sync with your smartphone, I suggest getting this one. And what’s even better is that BusyCal also allows you to sync with Google Calendar without any limitation on the features.

- Dropbox. Dropbox is a great storage application that gives you the freedom to sync, update and share files across several computers (regardless of the operating system). Very convenient especially if you work with a team—now you don’t need to use USBs since you can simply access the files in your Dropbox folder. You can get a free 2GB account when you sign up and install the application.

Hope you’ll find my suggestions useful! smile