Verizon i-Phone before Q1 earnings release?

Posted: 28 December 2010 09:32 PM

Curious to poll the group on this given the trading implications if they do (or don’t) make the big announcement..

Posted: 28 December 2010 10:11 PM #1

Most likely, the vote was no.  Then again, why not.  There may be an announcement with shipping starting in February.

Posted: 28 December 2010 11:23 PM #2

Not a chance. tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 29 December 2010 12:22 AM #3

Interesting results.  Thanks guys.

Posted: 29 December 2010 12:56 AM #4

I think that Apple purposely staggers everything they do to smooth out the earnings curve. Based on that I don’t see them fIring one of their “bullets” before they need to so I’d guess end of Jan./early Feb. When AT&T moved up the early terminations, that really made me think something was going to happen. They really need this to stick a fork in Android as well. Doesn’t matter that much if it goes to Sprint, too many families tied to their carrier, Switchers have already switched IMO. Apple needs VZ.

But what do I know!
    Chas

Welcome aboard Nagrani, great 1st post. BTW, do u ever peruse ABT electronics, amazing store?

[ Edited: 29 December 2010 12:21 PM by ChasMac77 ]      

Posted: 29 December 2010 01:51 AM #5

There own’t be a Verizon iPhone this year.

The CDMA rumors refer to Verizon iPads and iPHones in China.

The early contracts ATT offered were done to take advantage of how hot the new iPHone 4 was and to keep Verizon guessing.

Posted: 29 December 2010 11:44 AM #6

http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/mobile/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228900179&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
    Article discussing likely no show for VZ i-phone at CES..
    I closed my Jan 11s calls based on a gut feeling AAPLS goes down following no-show at the CES superbowl (despite Apple pushing out mac store Jan 6th).  If apple announces a media event before earnings release- I’ll jump back in…

Chase, yes - AbT is very close to my house and I go there all the time.. great place to hang out.

Posted: 29 May 2011 09:45 PM #7

Bumping this up. Last time I ran a poll.  The AFB majority was wrong and Apple delivered!

• Posted: 29 May 2011 10:02 PM #8

Nagrani - 30 May 2011 12:45 AM

Bumping this up. Last time I ran a poll.  The AFB majority was wrong and Apple delivered!

Interestingly the Verizon iPhone rumors and the September iPhone rumors are almost polar opposites. With the Verizon iPhone, all the rumors and most of the meager evidence available supported the advent of a phone in early 2011. Yet the majority of the AFB resisted an such an unprecedented move.

With the September iPhone, all the rumors and most of the meager evidence available support the advent of a belated iPhone 5. Yet the majority of the AFB seems to have been swayed by the rumors despite its break with precedence.

It will be interesting to see if the AFB as a whole has gotten smarter or if we’re becoming a reverse barometer.

Edited to correct a date.

[ Edited: 30 May 2011 02:20 PM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 30 May 2011 12:37 PM #9

FalKirk - 30 May 2011 01:02 AM
    Nagrani - 30 May 2011 12:45 AM

Interestingly the Verizon iPhone rumors and the September iPhone rumors are almost polar opposites. With the Verizon iPhone, all the rumors and most of the meager evidence available supported the advent of a phone in early 2010. Yet the majority of the AFB resisted an such an unprecedented move.

With the September iPhone, all the rumors and most of the meager evidence available support the advent of a belated iPhone 5. Yet the majority of the AFB seems to have been swayed by the rumors despite its break with precedence.

It will be interesting to see if the AFB as a whole has gotten smarter or if we’re becoming a reverse barometer.

I don’t think it’s a question of whether the participants here are smart enough.  Collectively there is probably enough talent here to do a passable job of running Apple.  (you guys go ahead I’m still enjoying retirement) wink  What’s lacking is information and the past few months of banter regarding iPhone 5 really highlights this.  Mav’s insistence that it’s imminent and foolhardy to wait until September is based on a pretty good set of rational arguments.  They may however become instantly irrational if iOS 5 introduces an entirely new set of capabilities that require implementation by the developer community and a new hardware set not yet currently available in sufficient quantities.  If the advances are able to run on iPhone 4 and compelling enough then the decision to wait for a better hardware set with the added benefit of realigning the iPhone schedule with the holiday season looks like a no brainer to me.  Thing is…, we don’t really know.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 30 May 2011 12:46 PM #10

Usually, a select few developers get advance notice of features.  These days, new features could include mapping, voice recognition, accelerometers and some new multi-touch gestures.  Not so advanced but still critical would be changes to web page rendering and coding, especially multimedia.

• Posted: 30 May 2011 02:25 PM #11

BillH - 30 May 2011 03:37 PM

What’s lacking is information and the past few months of banter regarding iPhone 5 really highlights this.  Mav’s insistence that it’s imminent and foolhardy to wait until September is based on a pretty good set of rational arguments.  They may however become instantly irrational if iOS 5 introduces an entirely new set of capabilities that require implementation by the developer community and a new hardware set not yet currently available in sufficient quantities.  If the advances are able to run on iPhone 4 and compelling enough then the decision to wait for a better hardware set with the added benefit of realigning the iPhone schedule with the holiday season looks like a no brainer to me.  Thing is…, we don’t really know.

Yup. Apple’s super secret security machine at work.

Meanwhile, Microsoft, Google, RIM, Samsung, Nokia et. al, pre-announce things that don’t even exist as if wishing could make it so.