Thoughts on the VZ deal

Posted: 09 February 2011 03:48 PM #16

Verizon might just be the kind of committed partner that Apple needs. It seems that they are already delaying a more capable Android phone so that the initial batch of Verizon Unicorn buyers don’t get buyer’s remorse within the allotted 14 days and return their slightly used CDMA Unicorns.

• Posted: 09 February 2011 03:53 PM #17

if you can’t say anything nice…...

Deleted immature remark

Posted: 09 February 2011 03:57 PM #18

It said “clown alert”. Typical fanbot.

Posted: 09 February 2011 04:12 PM #19

One day, I will have to try to pinpoint when so many Apple fans turned into unfriendly, aggressive turds. But to your real point Unique. I’m offering up one narrative that seems consistent with many recent changes in Verizon policy that took place between the Verizon Unicorn announcement and launch. With AT&T spending significant money pointing out that you can’t talk and surf simultaneously on a Verizon Unicorn, it seems entirely plausible that a Verizon Android phone with that capability would be something for potential customers to consider while they are able to consider it.

Posted: 09 February 2011 04:16 PM #20

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 09 February 2011 07:48 PM

Verizon might just be the kind of committed partner that Apple needs. It seems that they are already delaying a more capable Android phone so that the initial batch of Verizon Unicorn buyers don’t get buyer’s remorse within the allotted 14 days and return their slightly used CDMA Unicorns.

I realize this is probably futile, but I’ll give it one shot. Here’s the rationale offered by the Phandroid blog:

...buyer?s remorse could strike iPhone owners after finding out the Thunderbolt will:

1. Have Free 4G Hotspot capabilities
      2. Allow simultaneous voice and data

These are two features the Verizon iPhone won?t have.

Click on their links & you find these snippets:

Thunderbolt. 4G Hotspot. $0. The only snag here is that it will likely be a limited time offer and ?Free? might only apply to a month...

...HTC Thunderbolt?s capabilities to do voice and data at the same time over 3G…It states that the functionality isn?t advertised due to the fact that it?s not common across all of their devices and because they can?t promise it?ll be consistent with their brand.

Interesting how the screenshot says that the Thunderbolt will not support Mobile Hotspot at launch. Maybe that’s why it’s free?

Posted: 09 February 2011 04:27 PM #21

The last paragraph in that picture says don’t emphasize it because our other phones don’t do it. Hilarious.

And… it looks like Verizon gimped the Thunderbolt’s mobile hot spot to give the Unicorn an exclusive feature. Like I said above (only to be called names for saying it), maybe Verizon has Apple’s back for a few weeks.

Posted: 09 February 2011 06:20 PM #22

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 09 February 2011 08:27 PM

The last paragraph in that picture says don’t emphasize it because our other phones don’t do it. Hilarious.

And… it looks like Verizon gimped the Thunderbolt’s mobile hot spot to give the Unicorn an exclusive feature. Like I said above (only to be called names for saying it), maybe Verizon has Apple’s back for a few weeks.

I’m pretty sure the Qualcomm chipset in the Verizon iPhone is capable of supporting SVDO and the Verizon network needs to be upgraded.  Qualcomm has a nice background paper.  I know your a software guy, but it’s always good to learn.  As far as HTC and thunderbolt, their may be issues related to the transition from the LTE to EVDO, their is always bumps along the road when bring new network technology on line.  It is a pretty cheap shot to blame Apple for an issue with a Andriod device, but that would be pretty much par for the course.

http://www.qualcomm.com/common/documents/white_papers/Whats_Next_For_CDMA_111109.pdf

Posted: 09 February 2011 06:31 PM #23

What are you talking about pats? Stock Google experience Android phones have supported hot-spot capability since 2.2. Your Mac does for that matter. It has nothing to do with the network. Verizon gimped the feature.

On talk and browse, the picture above indicates that Thunderbolt supports this but that Verizon employees are not supposed to talk about it because their other phones don’t (yet?).

Verizon can do this for awhile, but at the rate Android phones cycle through, most of their Android line-up will have these features before they have an updated iPhone. And people who buy iPhone now are stuck with a phone that can’t talk and browse for two years.

• Posted: 09 February 2011 06:50 PM #24

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 09 February 2011 08:12 PM

One day, I will have to try to pinpoint when so many Apple fans turned into unfriendly, aggressive turds.

I’m guessing that moment occurred just after a Troll hijacked a thread by claiming that Verizon feared that the Thunderbolt would cause people to return their newly purchased iPhones.

Posted: 09 February 2011 07:01 PM #25

There you go with the name calling again… Do you dispute that Verizon gimped a feature of the Thunderbolt and is not talking about another feature? BTW, talk and surf… AT&T commercial just ran on the four letter. At some point, Verizon is going to have to mention the capabilities of their network.

Posted: 09 February 2011 07:12 PM #26

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 09 February 2011 10:31 PM

Stock Google experience Android phones have supported hot-spot capability since 2.2…Verizon gimped the feature.

Yes, that is what Verizon has always done until they can charge for the capability. Verizon has never offered any stock Android phones. All of their 2.2 phones now offer the hotspot capability. But none of them offer a 4G hotspot. It has nothing to do with giving the iPhone preferential treatment.

On talk and browse, the picture above indicates that Thunderbolt supports this but that Verizon employees are not supposed to talk about it because their other phones don’t (yet?).

The “picture above” is a rumored screenshot. There are no Verizon phones that can talk & browse simultaneously. Again, how do you conclude excluding this rumored ability is protecting the iPhone? Why isn’t it protecting the Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S or other HTC phones?

...at the rate Android phones cycle through, most of their Android line-up will have these features before they have an updated iPhone. And people who buy iPhone now are stuck with a phone that can’t talk and browse for two years.

And people who buy any Android phone on Verizon today will also be stuck with a phone that can’t talk & browse. Verizon should just stop selling all smartphones right now since none of them have these features (4G hotspot and talk & surf) that may be available sometime in the future.

Posted: 09 February 2011 07:56 PM #27

What are you talking about pats? Stock Google experience Android phones have supported hot-spot capability since 2.2. Your Mac does for that matter. It has nothing to do with the network. Verizon gimped the feature.

Verizon can do this for awhile, but at the rate Android phones cycle through, most of their Android line-up will have these features before they have an updated iPhone. And people who buy iPhone now are stuck with a phone that can’t talk and browse for two years.

What I’m talking about is the difference between an LTE network and an EVDO network and how the network and an end user device can transition from the said networks.  LTE is new to Verizon.  Can you give me a single Verizon phone which supports LTE & EVDO with the hotspot feature?  It is probably growing pains with the new network and devices rather then some conspiracy theory that folks on the web like to create.  Its funny how sometimes things are found late in the release cycle and it requires a release of new software/hardware(think Intel), but you wouldn’t have experience that as a software guy for over 20 years.  Your vast knowledge of software gives you little knowledge of the complexity of the network.  My point was don’t blame marketing and Verizon and Apple for a problem you have no clue about.  The hotspot feature is available on the EVDO network and Sprint has it on their WIMAX, but just maybe HTC has a little bug with the feature and wants to patch it before they ruin their reputation or Verizon isn’t ready to run,  or it could be this mythical unicorn thing.  Of course we know unicorns aren’t real and we have trouble believing folks like their iPhone more then some other Android POS but that never stopped a good story on the web.  Bosco you remind me of a religious fanatic, but your religion is all things anti-apple.  Most of us on this site are much more open minded then you perceive and when you refuse to look at both sides of a discussion it degrades to name calling.  You brought that upon yourself. 

For the record I still maintain my google stock and think they have made some wonderful software and I hope android succeeds, just not at the expense of Apple of which I hold a much larger position

• Posted: 09 February 2011 08:00 PM #28

So what?

You have been around here since 2002. Anyone paying the least bit of attention has seen Apple overcome all challenges. Competitors are constantly scrambling. Look at a 10 year stock chart. You throw out a rumor, a frigging rumor.  So what do you expect here?
    The boy who cried wolf too often was eaten. Your reception here is far better than that.

Posted: 10 February 2011 01:06 PM #29

Drew Bear - 09 February 2011 11:12 PM

There are no Verizon phones that can talk & browse simultaneously. Again, how do you conclude excluding this rumored ability is protecting the iPhone? Why isn’t it protecting the Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S or other HTC phones?

It’s interesting (or not) to note that Bosco doesn’t really want to engage in the usual point & counterpoint form of discussion. He seems to make unsubstantiated comments and then ignores any rebuttals. I understand why many of you have chosen to not respond to him.

In any case, here’s news on “talk & browse”:
    Verizon successfully completes first VoLTE call on commercial network in the world, plans 2012 availability

...staffers were able to talk and use data services simultaneously…We’d initially gotten the impression yesterday that Verizon would be starting to roll out voice over LTE (VoLTE) with the Revolution in mid-2011, but the company’s press release today is saying that they’ll be working to “enhance” the VoLTE experience in 2011 with commercially availability now expected next year.

Of course Verizon is “delaying” this capability for a year just to “protect” the iPhone.

• Posted: 10 February 2011 01:17 PM #30

Drew Bear - 10 February 2011 05:06 PM

It’s interesting (or not) to note that Bosco doesn’t really want to engage in the usual point & counterpoint form of discussion. He seems to make unsubstantiated comments and then ignores any rebuttals. I understand why many of you have chosen to not respond to him.

Yeah, I almost sent you a note, but then I decided that you’d figure it out soon enough.

I say one thing. Then Bosco says something completely different and unrelated. It’s like having two different conversations. Only not as useful. Or as fun.