Weekend Update!

Posted: 09 April 2011 02:50 AM

Where the Intraday thread ends…a weekend thread begins!

Keep it clean and keep it civil, folks.

Or…not.  I’m not a mod, after all (and I wouldn’t wanna be one, either)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 April 2011 05:08 AM #1

Did you see that the wascally wepublicans found some votes after the “winner” gave an acceptance speech?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If these trends continue Wisconsin will soon have sufficient funds to follow Maine and pursue an iPad adoption strategy. The iPad requires no retirement or benefit package.

Posted: 09 April 2011 05:33 AM #2

Jesus, just figgered out this is Saturday morning (by reading the name of this thread), no need to look at futures and pre-market.

My spotty attendance here of late is due to the fact I’ve been staying up all night taking care of injured grandma in hospital for 9 days straight, so I’m a little loopy.

Hope next week is better…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 09 April 2011 05:44 AM #3

I’m sure it will be for Gramdma.

Posted: 09 April 2011 06:39 AM #4

danthemason - 09 April 2011 08:44 AM

I’m sure it will be for Gramdma.

She will be discharged today. Thank God this hospital has free wifi or I’d have gone insane. One can only do so much iPhone solitaire before your eyeballs fall out.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 09 April 2011 10:33 AM #5

For those that may have missed fridays Mad Money, it may be worth watching. Cramer says that oil above $110 per barrel is the tipping point for the market. He advises that you go to cash. I know that Cramers been wrong with his predictions in the past, but he has also been right many times. 2008 comes to mind. Watch the first 10 minutes of his show. Is he wrong?

:apple:

Posted: 09 April 2011 10:34 AM #6

JD, you are a good grandson (and doggie daddy). And you still have the best emoticons. I recommend sudoku - won’t leave you in quite the fugue as solitaire. Speedy recovery to grandma.

Posted: 09 April 2011 12:22 PM #7

i’m considering buying some june370 calls on monday at opening, as i expect a pop after earnings…

Signature

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment

Posted: 09 April 2011 12:28 PM #8

lovemyipad - 09 April 2011 01:34 PM

JD, you are a good grandson (and doggie daddy). And you still have the best emoticons. I recommend sudoku - won’t leave you in quite the fugue as solitaire. Speedy recovery to grandma.

Thanks, I’ll have to try that, my Dad likes it.

My real fantasy these days is sleep, lovely sleep.

Signature

Posted: 09 April 2011 01:12 PM #9

blis - 09 April 2011 03:22 PM

i’m considering buying some june370 calls on monday at opening, as i expect a pop after earnings…

JMO, but you better be using ‘throw away’ money as those will VERY likely expire worthless.

I’m LONG aapl stock and LEAPS but the next few months will be “rocky”. I’ll be VERY happy if the trailing PE can stay above 18.

cheers to the longs
          JohnG

Posted: 09 April 2011 02:08 PM #10

thx,
    I am not very experienced with options but I am very eager to learn it.. could you please explain a bit on why you think its very likely that these options will expire wothless?

Signature

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment

• Posted: 09 April 2011 02:28 PM #11

MacCube - 09 April 2011 01:33 PM

For those that may have missed fridays Mad Money, it may be worth watching. Cramer says that oil above $110 per barrel is the tipping point for the market. He advises that you go to cash. I know that Cramers been wrong with his predictions in the past, but he has also been right many times. 2008 comes to mind. Watch the first 10 minutes of his show. Is he wrong?

:apple:

I too wonder about the effect of high price oil on the markets.  Gasoline is over $4 in my area and the last time gasoline was this high was in late 2008.

Posted: 09 April 2011 04:22 PM #12

First off, we have to wonder if there is a surge in demand or oil has disappeared from the market.

Are we using like 20% or 30% more oil? Is economical growth picking up in a faster pace? This would be awesome for stock.

However, this does not seem to be the case. For some time we have been talking about demand destruction which would seem a contradiction with higher oil prices. The third largest economy in the World, Japan is on a standstill on the aftermath of the earthquake followed by the ongoing nuclear disaster.  China monetary tightening and all efforts to curb inflation would result in more demand destruction with the economy slowing down. Europe would be the most affected by the Libyan crisis as the majority of the embattled country?s oil production is exported to. Growth in the continent is also subdued to say the least with peripheral countries weighing and Germany as the main engine. The United States once the world?s leading oil-exporting nation now imports 2/3 of the oil that it uses. We know well, it is not growth in the US economy that is driving oil prices higher.

One scenario would take into account speculation in futures were hedge funds are playing their part. This played out in 2008 when demand destruction was severe. Oil prices peaked in July 2008 to $145 and in December 2008 fell to a mere $35 a barrel. In 31 January 2011 the Brent price hit $100 for the first time since October 2008 due to concerns on the political unrest in Egypt. If history teach us something, traders could be looking for a top and start shorting oil on a projected top, which some believe is around $115. Even though oil has been weighed by markets, equities have pretty much placed it on the afterburner until now. The spike in oil could have been caused by all of the above, plus supply problems, (already resolved) in the North Sea and the stalemate in Congress which pressed the greenback lower.

With the resolution of the government shutdown and the avert of a possible credit event and a high-volatility collapse in the dollar versus the soundest reserve currencies such as EUR and CHF we may experience a relief rally. Attention will also be shifting to Q1 earnings report season that officially kicks off this Monday with AA.

On a sideline note, Cramer has been warning about this $110 price point for some time. He is just calling for caution, same here, which does not bode well in certain circles.

On a second sideline note, a recent Gallup research showed consumer spending up slightly in March, averaging $64 per day in March, slightly up from $58 in January. This small spike could be caused by higher gas and food prices and shows consumers not as bullish as Wall Street. Higher gas prices would cause consumers limiting their spending according to the study.

The Gallup

• Posted: 09 April 2011 05:45 PM #13

Mav - 09 April 2011 05:50 AM

Where the Intraday thread ends…a weekend thread begins!

Keep it clean and keep it civil, folks.

Or…not.  I’m not a mod, after all (and I wouldn’t wanna be one, either)

Mav, this works. The intraday topic is lively and timely and over the weekends it needs a rest. A weekend topic is fitting for the days each week the market is regularly closed.

Posted: 09 April 2011 05:51 PM #14

The media labs of a local rural family featured a lot of movies on the 27” iMac this past 2 days.  iPad got some use in the kitchen looking at liver recipes.  Late tonight and tomorrow, the iPad will be more useful as all of the desktops will be unplugged for the coming electrical storms.

Posted: 09 April 2011 05:56 PM #15

blis - 09 April 2011 05:08 PM

thx,
    I am not very experienced with options but I am very eager to learn it.. could you please explain a bit on why you think its very likely that these options will expire wothless?

The trend of AAPL is flat.  Behind the scenes, Wall Street has their reasons and manipulations. 

A powerful EPS and guidance announcement is needed to get up to 370.    As an AAPL optimist, in the long run I’m quite confident.    The recent oil price runup is inauspicious.

US politics ?  At this point, the whole spectrum of left and right is disappointed.  Fundamentally, it comes down to well-paying jobs. 

China and other Asian countries are the primary hope for AAPL growth.