Week 25: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 19 June 2011 12:20 PM

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #25.

DEFINITION: F.U.D. of the Week is given to the most deserving reporter, pundit or analyst who shows us the way not to go, the path not to take, the road not to travel. These zeroes sacrifice their integrity, their honor, their objectivity and our sanity in a pathetic attempt to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt across the interwebs and give us a worserer understanding of the world in which we live in. Extra credit is awarded to them what ought to know better.

RULES:
    1) Post a link to the nominee?s Fouled Up material, along with the date of the source material. Including Fouled Up Dopey quotes is optional but highly encouraged.
    2) Only Fouled Up Dopey material posted during the pertinent week will be considered.
    3) AFB members get three votes each which they may bestow upon one or more lucky nominees as they will.
    4) Griping, moaning, whining and general pettiness is both condoned and expected.
    5) Voting will close each Saturday and be tabulated and announced each Sunday?if we feel like it.

Posted: 19 June 2011 12:32 PM #1

My vote for week 24 goes to   Mr. Jim Stellakis, predictor of $280

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-17/apple-may-drop-14-should-325-fail-to-hold-technical-analysis.html?cmpid=msnmoney

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 19 June 2011 12:58 PM #2

I propose Katherine Noyes:

Post-MacDefender, Linux Looks Better Than Ever

Post-MacDefender, Linux Looks Better Than Ever

Until recently, it was a commonly held belief in the mainstream computing world that Macs are more secure than Windows PCs are.

Then MacDefender happened, and a whole new era began.

Suddenly it became clear not only that Macs have begun to attract the attention of malware creators in a significant way, but also that Apple isn’t particularly interested in helping its users out in this new era. Rather than jumping to attention with assistance in a timely manner, the company dragged its feet, denied the problem and stonewalled in every manner possible before finally taking action.

For a company that prides itself on the safety and protection of its tightly closed “walled garden,” the arrogance of Apple’s reaction was beyond belief.

One Platform Still Standing

Regardless of your opinion of Apple and its approach, the fact is that the computing landscape is irrevocably changed in the wake of MacDefender and—later—MacGuard. While these certainly weren’t the first bits of malware to target Macs, they were among the few to succeed so well.

The result is that Mac users can no longer rest easy in the “security,” real or perceived, of their walled garden—at least no more than Windows users can on their own platform. If anyone needed further proof that “security by obscurity” doesn’t work, this is it.

Two closed desktop operating platforms have now “fallen” to malware, in other words. That leaves the open one still standing: Linux.

Noyes annoys.

Signature

Posted: 19 June 2011 01:05 PM #3

Katherine could use a Petruchio to teach her a clue.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 21 June 2011 05:39 PM #4

I was afraid we would have slim pickings this week then I realized that it is only Tuesday

iCloud stops routing Apple e-mail when 5GB limit is reached

On the one hand, this isn’t terribly surprising?what should Apple do, let people keep using space they’re not supposed to have? But because e-mail is being routed through the same virtual space that can only hold a fraction of a full-sized iPhone backup, this is bound to happen quite a bit.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/06/e-mail-service-through-icloud-stops-when-5gb-limit-is-reached.ars

Signature

• Posted: 21 June 2011 05:54 PM #5

Sir Harry Flashman - 21 June 2011 08:39 PM

iCloud stops routing Apple e-mail when 5GB limit is reached

What is the point of a limit if when it reached it keeps working? Seems like a “duh!” moment to me.

Signature

• Posted: 22 June 2011 11:49 AM #6

Nomination for this week:  Scott (The Moron) Moritz.  He reports Bloomberg, reporting rumors from unnamed sources, who say that the September iPhone update will be minor, and that a Gen 4 LTE iPhone is a year away.  This is a third party report of a rumor from anonymous sources. He then crows about Android. Great reporting, Scott.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11161412/1/apple-4g-lte-iphone-still-a-year-away.html

[ Edited: 22 June 2011 01:35 PM by Zeke ]      

Posted: 22 June 2011 12:23 PM #7

Zeke - 22 June 2011 02:49 PM

Nomination for this week:  Scott (The Moron) Moritz.  He reports Bloomberg, reporting rumors from unnamed sources, who say that the September iPhone update will be minor, and that a Gen 4 LTE iPhone is a year away.  This is a third party report of a rumor from anonymous sources. He then crows about Android. Great reporting, Scott.

MSNBC reported that is the opposite, that it will me a major update. Of course both reports are based upon scuttlebutt. I don’t know of Apple has a hand in these rumors or not, but they sure keep the spotlight on them.

?Some report elsewhere whatever is told them; the measure of fiction always increases, and each fresh narrator adds something to what he has heard.”
    Ovid

Signature

Posted: 23 June 2011 08:56 PM #8

Neil Versel of Information Week says beware of viruses on iPads in the future

About 40% of networked devices are Windows-based, about 30% run on Linux, and the rest are on various other operating systems, according to Reber. Windows, of course, is a favorite target of hackers who spread malware. Reber also said he’s seen an increasing number of attacks against Apple operating systems, an important concern because the iPad and other Apple mobile devices have become so popular in healthcare.

FUD

• Posted: 23 June 2011 11:40 PM #9

Tetrachloride - 23 June 2011 11:56 PM

Neil Versel of Information Week says beware of viruses on iPads in the future

About 40% of networked devices are Windows-based, about 30% run on Linux, and the rest are on various other operating systems, according to Reber. Windows, of course, is a favorite target of hackers who spread malware. Reber also said he’s seen an increasing number of attacks against Apple operating systems, an important concern because the iPad and other Apple mobile devices have become so popular in healthcare.

FUD

I went there and posted this comment:

The speaker fails to differentiate between software viruses and malware attacks.  He fails to differentiate between failed attacks and successful attacks.  He fails to differentiate between operating systems that are resistant to attacks by design and operating systems that were never designed to run in a network environment.  He doesn’t even seem to understand that Linux is only one variant of Unix:

“About 40% of networked devices are Windows-based, about 30% run on Linux…”

Linux was derived from Unix.  Unix was designed to run on networks.  It is inherently more secure by design than Windows, which was not originally designed for networks.  Windows is prone to viruses; self-replicating, self-installing, self-transmitting malicious applications that alter machine settings, destroy files, and steal data.  Unix based operating systems typically are not easy targets for viruses.  Instead the user must be tricked into cooperating.  Apple’s Macintosh operating system is based on Unix.  So far, in 10 years of exposure to the internet, there has NEVER been a self-replicating, self-installing virus on a Macintosh computer running any version of OS X outside of a laboratory…Never!

The speaker is using scare tactics to try to make sales of his protection software.  Makers of such software are desperately trying to convince people that their Apple products need protection, because as more and more users switch to Apple, sales of anti-virus software are declining.  This use of scare tactics is know by an acronym: FUD, which stands for “fear, uncertainty, and doubt”.  It is the speaker’s only hope.