Microsoft using Open Source code!

Posted: 18 June 2001 03:12 PM

Gods above, this company makes me so mad!  ZDNet is reporting that Microsoft is using FreeBSD code in one of their services , despite being on a campaign to convince the world that Open Source is evil, un-American, and a threat to the software industry!

This company’s hypocrisy knows no bounds.  I am so steamed, I can’t even type straight… 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 11:37 AM #1

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  That is so funny, that company is so full of stupidity.  They complain about Open Source, but they use it. 

Watch it, the company will try to complain and say they didn’t mean all Open Source, just GPL and that some Open Source is good.  They do double talk like that all the time.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 12:52 PM #2

Nothing about Microsoft surprises me anymore.  If there is a single malicious thing that you could imagine a company to do, that company has done it.

My favorite is their fight for their “freedom to innovate”.  That really makes me want to wretch.  These days I basicly just ignore whatever MS is doing and concentrate on making the Mac platform the best it can be.  I once read that the worst thing a person can do is to spread hatred.  Don’t waste one minute thinking about or hating your enemy.  Because if you do that, then they have won.  I will dig up the quote, it comes from a very old, very famous book about how to influence people and win friends.

Let’s, as Mac Users, spread the good word and don’t waste another minute worrying about Microsoft.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 02:54 PM #3

Pshaw Retro!

If I didn’t vent about this company’s antics, I would blow a gasket for sure.  Can’t have that now.

Mind you, your suggestion is a great one, I just can’t hold back my personal frustration with Microsoft. 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 03:06 PM #4

Hehe, I know your point.  I don’t blame you either.  It’s a happy medium.  What we need is a Rant room, maybe that instead of an MS room, they would be one and the same thing.  At least we wouldn’t be singling out MS for Rants.  I think if the PC crowd finds out you have an MS room, its going to draw the wrong crowd in here.  Thats just my 2 cents.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 03:12 PM #5

You could well be right.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Signature

• Posted: 04 August 2002 10:38 PM #6

Good idea Retro. The Rant room is place when you can come and…rant. This post is pretty pointless really, I’m just waiting for Jonathon to come back to the Chain Gang.

Signature

• Posted: 11 August 2002 06:22 AM #7

Microsoft has used BSD code since WinNT if I’m correct. They did it because their own networking protocols sucked. So an eager MS employee went to xBSD.org downloaded the networking source and said: “Bill, I got the answer.” And since then GPL’d code is part of MS.

Or MS contacted Berkeley and obtained a licence for the use of their BSD.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver