Lion

Posted: 21 July 2011 11:28 AM #16

MO about the graphical metaphor application elements.  I feel having each app differentiated by graphical theme helps greatly in app identification when you have 20 apps running like I do.  Whether picking them out in ‘desktop’, ‘spaces’ or ‘expose’ the eye differentiates otherwise almost identical windows quickly and easily.

Anyway I think Jesus’s criticism of this is a bit vitriolic.

[ Edited: 21 July 2011 11:32 AM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 12:34 PM #17

Well, here is my impression after working with it since noon yesterday.

First, i am surprised at what hasn’t changed. For all the discussions about Apple shoehorning iOS into Mac computers, I found that almost none of my previous workflows needed to change (with the exception of Spaces - Mission Control).

This is a good thing. They added iOS functionality on top of a solid OS and gave users a new way of looking at their computer interface and workflow without compromising what already works. In some cases I am sticking with the old, and in some ways I am reavaluating the way I work. Very well done.

Things I’m enjoying
    -  Window resizing from any side.
    -  Launchpad. Didn’t think I’d like it (I have my Applications folder in the doc), but I am now sold.
    -  Backward scrolling. I like it, but I’ve changed it back as I use several other Windows boxes during the day and it was messing with my brain. I hope it becomes defacto though.
    -  Seamless update. I broke with my normal update routine (wait and evaluate) to just jumping in with both feet. No problems, no hiccups, and no software issues. Amazing.
    -  Scrollbars. With the exception of the scrollbar at the bottom obscuring the last file, I love it.
    -  Safari Reading List. This will replace “open in new tab” that I used so much before. Makes perfect sense and I wonder why it hasn’t shown up before.
    -  Safari back and forward swipes. I often turn off buttons that do the same thing because I accidentally hit them and go back when I don’t want to. The swipe is the perfect implementation.
    -  “Open with ...” in the Quicklook window. Another feature that I didn’t realize I was missing so much.

Things I’m NOT enjoying (or at least am not sure about).
    -  Mission Control. I made heavy use of Spaces and Expose. I liked that I could drag windows from one space to another. I also liked that expose would shrink every open window so I could easily find what I needed.
    -  The new mission control doesn’t let me pull windows into my “active” space.
    -  Nor does it shrink all the windows to fit. This makes it harder to organize open windows and spaces.
    -  I also think that the animation (screen redraw) when switching desktops takes a bit too long.
    -  Smaller window buttons (close, minimize, full). I understand that they are not much smaller, but I still find myself hesitating before clicking. This will probably change with time.

Final Thoughts
    This update feels like I’m stepping into the threshold of a new way of interacting with my computer. The old ways are still viable, but I am quickly rethinking my workflow. I think that the next few minor upgrades will iron out the rough spots and deliver an experience that will once again make me look back to old OS’s and think “How did I put up with the old clunky way for so long?”

Just my 2 cents.

[ Edited: 21 July 2011 12:40 PM by dmuzzy ]      
  • Posted: 21 July 2011 01:06 PM #18

dmuzzy - 21 July 2011 03:34 PM

Well, here is my impression after working with it since noon yesterday…Just my 2 cents.

Nice hands on report.

Posted: 21 July 2011 01:39 PM #19

@dmuzzy

Thanks. I too was waiting for the dust to clear, but now I may leap in. I am doing a backup right now and otherwise getting my MBP ready for Lion.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 21 July 2011 03:12 PM #20

Overall I’m very pleased with Lion. The system is faster, cleaner and more intelligent than Snow Leopard. Two things I noticed, that I did not like:
    - When I hovered over a Spotlight search result in Snow Leopard the path appeared to that item. Now in Lion I only get a quick look window but no path. Where can I get the path back?

- The second is more cosmetic: Safed searches appeared in Snow Leopard in a dedicated section of the Finderwindow Sidebar. In Lion they are all nestled under Favorites together with the Application Folder and the Home Directory.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 03:54 PM #21

I’m curious how Lion performs on a Mac with no multitouch capabilities. I have an iMac and MacBook at home and a MacPro at work and none of them have multitouch. Most of the reviews I’ve seen have been from people using newer MacBook Pros. I’m upgrading anyway but still curious.  smile

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 21 July 2011 04:02 PM #22

Sweetwater Sound has a knowledge base support page to keep up with Lion compatibility with audio software and hardware.

Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Information

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

Posted: 21 July 2011 04:34 PM #23

Thurs afternoon: Apple’s app store server(s) aren’t allowing me to update previously purchased apps or download Lion. Error message indicates: “The server gave an error during download: 500 Internal Server Error.”

Update: Tried the ‘install’ about an hour later and it looks like the download is actually working now.

cheers
      JohnG

[ Edited: 21 July 2011 05:26 PM by johnG ]      

Posted: 21 July 2011 04:46 PM #24

johnG - 21 July 2011 07:34 PM

Thurs afternoon: Apple’s app store server(s) aren’t allowing me to update previously purchased apps or download Lion. Error message indicates: “The server gave an error during download: 500 Internal Server Error.”

JohnG

I would assume that they are busy.  When does the facility in North Carolina come online?

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 21 July 2011 05:35 PM #25

Lion, the latest iteration of Apple?s OS X operating system is off to a great start. On Thursday afternoon, the company announced that more than one million copies were purchased and downloaded during its first day of availability.

Edit:  I see rattyuk started a separate thread on this.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 21 July 2011 06:38 PM #26

I see XCode is now $4.99 free from the App store with Lion.  Won’t download with SL though, you need to upgrade to Lion to be able to get it.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 08:25 PM #27

Mav - 21 July 2011 06:23 AM

One day, I _will_ find my way to Quicken Essentials from friggin’ Quicken 2002…somehow.  Maybe in a few months?

Once that works, it’s off to Lion for me.  iCloud is the future and I can’t see myself missing out on it for too long.

Give iBank a try. It looks nice, is fast and best of all, imported all my Quicken files without any problems.  Should add iBank is cheap too. I’m switching.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 09:03 PM #28

What in the wide, wide world of sports is wrong with Intuit (Quicken)? Yesterday they lost 1 million potential customers. And it’s only going to go up and up and up from there as anyone on the Mac is going to abandon them (if they haven’t already).

I don’t get it. The Mac is on the rise. What are they thinking?

• Posted: 22 July 2011 12:42 AM #29

FalKirk - 22 July 2011 12:03 AM

What in the wide, wide world of sports is wrong with Intuit (Quicken)? Yesterday they lost 1 million potential customers. And it’s only going to go up and up and up from there as anyone on the Mac is going to abandon them (if they haven’t already).

1.)  The typical quickbooks customer runs it on a PC or in emulation on a Mac.
    2.)  Elements is a (cocoa?) re-write that could serve about 80-90% of their current customers.

Mobile! (says the proud father of a recently promoted Intuit product manager)

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 22 July 2011 01:24 AM #30

BillH - 22 July 2011 03:42 AM
    FalKirk - 22 July 2011 12:03 AM

1.)  The typical quickbooks customer runs it on a PC or in emulation on a Mac.
    2.)  Elements is a (cocoa?) re-write that could serve about 80-90% of their current customers.

Mobile! (says the proud father of a recently promoted Intuit product manager)

Bill, I have tremendous respect for you and I wish your child(ren) all the success in the world but…

I’ve given this post a lot of thought and that’s all I’m going to say. For me, the subject is closed.