iPhoto Alternatives

Posted: 29 July 2011 01:19 PM

OK it’s official. I HATE iPhoto11 (that is version 9.1.3). I liked the previous version that came with my ‘08 MacBook so as soon as the AppStore came out I picked up the newer version. After all the demo last fall looked great.

It is slow, it is buggy, worst of all there are annoying things that make it hard to use. Did you know that you cannot sort photos manually? Did you know that you can’t just send a picture without it getting embedded in an HTML e-mail? There are lots of little things like that which make it a pain to use. Plus it’s painfully slow.

So I’m looking for an alternative to iPhoto. I have ~12,000 pictures plus a bunch of short videos. I don’t want any online storage. I just want something to sort and organize my pictures. You know like iPhoto did fairly well a couple of revs ago.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 01 August 2011 03:44 AM #1

I don’t have much to say in defense of iPhoto ‘11 because I use Aperture… which might be worth a look.

Another option is Google’s Picasa. I haven’t used it in a while but it’s free so you can take it for a spin:
    http://picasa.google.com/mac/

• Posted: 04 August 2011 10:10 AM #2

Hi guys,

I used to hate some things about Iphoto as well, then my brother told me about Adobe’s Lightroom, it rocks!

This apps just works, is fast and if you have to update a bunch of
    photos, is simply the best to use.

Download a trial for 30 days and give it a shot, you will be impressed.

• Posted: 08 August 2011 11:48 PM #3

I’ll add another vote for Aperture.  I’ve been using it since 1.0 and it’s come a long way.  It has most of the important features from iPhoto ‘11 while adding much more powerful editing (including brushes for localized adjustments), and far better photo organization and management options.  You can choose to have it store your photos for you, just like iPhoto does (a “managed library”) or store them yourself and have it point to the photo locations (a “referenced library”), or even a combination of the two.

Most of all, it’s fast and, once you get used to the interface, much easier to work with and get things done with your photos.  At the new App Store price of $80, I’d say it’s a steal.

But, as mentioned above, Picasa is probably the best free alternative.  It’s what I direct all my Windows-based clients to use when they want iPhoto without switching platforms.

Good luck with your application search; here’s to hoping Apple fixes up iPhoto quickly and brings it back to its former glory!