Weekend Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 26 August 2011 07:23 PM

It’s Friday evening. Let’s get started with the weekend news and announcements…

[ Edited: 28 August 2011 04:11 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 26 August 2011 07:41 PM #1

Well Apple overtook Exxon again… First time with Tim Cook in charge…

Signature

Posted: 26 August 2011 08:30 PM #2

adamthompson3232 - 26 August 2011 10:59 PM
    rattyuk - 26 August 2011 10:41 PM

Well Apple overtook Exxon again… First time with Tim Cook in charge…

First and only.

Exxon is now permanently in Apple’s rearview mirror….

Signature

The only way to change the perception, is to change the reality.

Posted: 26 August 2011 08:51 PM #3

I just saw the pic of Steve floating around, and it made me cry.  Then I came here and read the below post, and it made me chortle (ed note: chortle to me is a laugh that erupts so quickly you kinda cough at the same time you’re laughing—which means it’s a really GOOD laugh)!

Mercel - 26 August 2011 11:05 PM
    Mace - 26 August 2011 08:02 PM

Agreed….well played. And didn’t Ma(e)rcel also get in at $355?

Ah, screw it.  I’m back to Mercel.  :-x

Now, I need a drink.  Who’s joining me?

[ Edited: 26 August 2011 09:17 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 26 August 2011 08:52 PM #4

P.S. Mercel, I missed you!  Welcome back! :D

Posted: 26 August 2011 09:13 PM #5

lovemyipad - 26 August 2011 11:51 PM

I just saw the pic of Steve floating around, and it made me cry.

Don’t look back; particularly if that’s a tabloid rag/website on the newsstands behind you.

They said Steve was on his way out back in February or so with some sketchy pics and that wasn’t the case.  I don’t put any stock in news that doesn’t come from credible sources.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 August 2011 09:14 PM #6

For now, I’m still in the game, and that’s all that matters.  Hoping for the best for everyone on the East Coast, and also hoping for some news from Apple next week, because the window for iPhone 5 within fiscal Q4 is rapidly closing.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 August 2011 09:22 PM #7

Mav - 27 August 2011 12:14 AM

For now, I’m still in the game, and that’s all that matters.  Hoping for the best for everyone on the East Coast, and also hoping for some news from Apple next week, because the window for iPhone 5 within fiscal Q4 is rapidly closing.

What are your plans if it becomes increasingly clear no Q4 ip5 release?

It gets a little tricky as the announcement will likely cause some increased uptake on aap but a post Q4 release is somewhat problematic for the Q4 #‘s. Also, a “missed” Q4 release will likely lead to some anti TC FUD. The paid bloggers/pimps are licking their chops to take hits at TC.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

Posted: 26 August 2011 09:36 PM #8

Well I sure as heck won’t load up on Oct/Nov calls.

iPhone 5s are required to “save” fiscal Q4 from “mediocrity” IMHO.  It will mean the difference between something like $30B, 50% YOY rev growth and a more “understandable” $32-33B, 60-65% YOY rev growth (depending on initial supply, initial uptake and days to sell up to September 24).

It’s extremely difficult to forecast given iOS 5’s late introduction, iCloud and this apparent all-consuming need for iPhone 5 to come preloaded with iOS 5 (yes, new iPhone always comes with new iOS, but new iPad doesn’t).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 August 2011 10:00 PM #9

lovemyipad - 26 August 2011 11:52 PM

Yes, I missed me too.  :-D

Check out this cool iPhone 5 concept—watch the video demonstration. 

http://www.geekword.net/iphone-5-laser-keyboard/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Geekword+(Geekword)

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:14 PM #10

Mercel - 27 August 2011 01:00 AM

Check out this cool iPhone 5 concept—watch the video demonstration. 

http://www.geekword.net/iphone-5-laser-keyboard/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Geekword+(Geekword)

Yes this concept is awesome. If you take a look at some of their patent filings on these Apple following sites the ideas are astounding! I have no doubt for the next few years Apple will continue to have breakout earnings.

Cheers to AAPL longs!

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:22 PM #11

Horace wonders if LG might exit the handset market. Can’t make money at it. But then who does?  Apple and Samsung, but there is a story there too…

http://www.asymco.com/2011/08/26/is-lg-about-to-exit-the-phone-market/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:33 PM #12

lovemyipad - 26 August 2011 11:51 PM

I just saw the pic of Steve floating around, and it made me cry…

I was in another state for training on Wednesday when I heard the news. I got so upset that I didn’t even want to read the AFB. And when I did, I didn’t want to post.

I know it’s the right move not just for the company and its shareholders, but also for Steve to be able to focus on his family. But I’m also afraid that, in his stubborn devotion, he worked himself too much and too late, and that his health might be deteriorating more than it would have if he took a break earlier. I just want the man to live!

He’s quite a private person, but you can get a glimpse into his soul by the way he speaks: the intonation, accentuation, and pauses revealing much thought and compassion behind the exterior. I’ve become fully convinced that today’s Jobs is *nothing* like the young and arrogant Jobs of decades ago, even though he’s still often accused of being a pompous egomaniac. I was glad to see the change of heart this week. The Apple haters quieted down, and all of a sudden Steve took his deserved spot in the string of the best and the greatest of this world. My Facebook notification page was overflowing with links to the 2005 Stanford commencement video (which I have watched at least a dozen times).

I’m continuing to hope and wish my hero the best, together with most of us. I’m also hoping, with John Gruber and Horace Dediu, that Apple - the company - will be his biggest legacy yet.

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:36 PM #13

In other news, I always expected initial negative reaction + bounce for AAPL in the event of Steve’s resignation. I just didn’t expect *that* quick of a bounce. But I have no time at all to trade these days, so my positions remained completely untouched all week.

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:37 PM #14

Mercel - 27 August 2011 01:00 AM
    lovemyipad - 26 August 2011 11:52 PM

I remember you explained the story of your nickname to me once… Have been entertained by the change back and forth.

Posted: 26 August 2011 10:39 PM #15

Who buys over 40,000 shares in after hours? A $15.6 million trade that immediately bumps the stock up nearly 4 points and it stayed at that level for the duration…

I don’t follow AH trades that much… is this peculiar?

16:11   $ 383.80   100
    16:11   $ 383.80   100
    16:11   $ 383.58   40,699
    16:11   $ 379.6657   100
    16:11   $ 379.6657   200
    16:11   $ 379.6657   200
    16:11   $ 379.665

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching