AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 25 December 2011 10:35 PM

The US markets are closed Monday in observance of the Christmas holiday. Will AAPL continue Friday’s advance in the shortened trading week leading up to the end of the calendar year?

[ Edited: 30 December 2011 08:01 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 26 December 2011 01:24 AM #1

DawnTreader - 26 December 2011 02:35 AM

The US markets are closed Monday in observance of the Christmas holiday. Will AAPL continue Friday’s advance in the shortened trading week leading up to the end of the calendar year?

We will move up Tuesday but end the week pretty flatish… 403-405

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 26 December 2011 01:50 AM #2

Red Shirted Ensign - 26 December 2011 05:24 AM
    DawnTreader - 26 December 2011 02:35 AM

We will move up Tuesday but end the week pretty flatish… 403-405

I would agree with you.  However if we move up at least 5 points on Tuesday then I think our post Santa Rally is in full swing.

If move less then 5 then I think we will end in the range.

Posted: 26 December 2011 02:06 AM #3

It seems too early to start the earnings run-up.

I don’t expect much trade-able action this week.  It might just be a good week to stand pat (for the most part) as we roll into a new year.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 December 2011 06:32 AM #4

Just arrived in Paris and forgot markets were closed today. Took about 30 minutes to realize Futures were not telling we would have a big upside day today.

Will go ahead and enjoy the jet lag. Amazing trip on the Air France A380. Good service from attentive crew and very impressed with the equipment. Huge 510 passenger plane.

Shocked with price of wifi internet at hotel. 20 euros buys 1 day of 256kbps speed and 250MB maximum download. Free WiFi 128 kpbs maximum 150MB download. Bottle of Evian 5 euros.

Using iPhone with Navigon Europe app on rented car. Would cost 54 euros to rent a GPS from Avis. Will visit Apple Store to purchase the car mount.Using a SFR sim card purchased from Call in Europe in the US on a iPhone 4S unlocked.

With markets closed in France and US, little to say about tomorrow. A bit worried with bond yields that were up Friday. S & P still has a downgrade of French debt pending.

Holiday trade could continue with upside bias, however headline risk still high and markets even though not overbought, getting there. Window dressing end of year?

Posted: 26 December 2011 10:38 AM #5

Ahhh, Paris at Christmas.

Magnifique…

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 26 December 2011 11:41 AM #6

BrazilNuts - 26 December 2011 10:32 AM

Just arrived in Paris and forgot markets were closed today. Took about 30 minutes to realize Futures were not telling we would have a big upside day today.

Will go ahead and enjoy the jet lag. Amazing trip on the Air France A380. Good service from attentive crew and very impressed with the equipment. Huge 510 passenger plane.

Shocked with price of wifi internet at hotel. 20 euros buys 1 day of 256kbps speed and 250MB maximum download. Free WiFi 128 kpbs maximum 150MB download. Bottle of Evian 5 euros.

Using iPhone with Navigon Europe app on rented car. Would cost 54 euros to rent a GPS from Avis. Will visit Apple Store to purchase the car mount.Using a SFR sim card purchased from Call in Europe in the US on a iPhone 4S unlocked.

With markets closed in France and US, little to say about tomorrow. A bit worried with bond yields that were up Friday. S & P still has a downgrade of French debt pending.

Holiday trade could continue with upside bias, however headline risk still high and markets even though not overbought, getting there. Window dressing end of year?

Nobody here believes you are really in Paris, unless you post a photo!!  :-o

Posted: 26 December 2011 12:28 PM #7

No market today unless you want to trade options on the other side of the world.

Enjoy a YouTube for trading the Deutsche B?rse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPBOxX_a2k

[ Edited: 26 December 2011 12:51 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 26 December 2011 12:40 PM #8

BrazilNuts - 26 December 2011 10:32 AM

FWIW, three out of four times our thinly-traded domestic equities market has bubbled up the last week of December for year-end window dressing.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 26 December 2011 02:52 PM #9

A slow Apple news day for sure.  Foxconn’s factory ready for increase in iPhone production.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/12/26/11.billion.expansion.may.do.other.phones.as.well/

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 26 December 2011 04:07 PM #10

A little sidenote about earnings.  As you’d expect, the additional fiscal week added to fiscal Q1 2012 means the quarter ends on December 31, 2011 (a Saturday). 

Speaking as a trader, there’s a tiny glimmer of hope for additional upside influence for my Jan 21 ‘12 bull call spread holding.  Apple announced earnings on January 18, 2006, which was the last time Apple had a 14th fiscal week in the holiday quarter.  Of course, that was $36B or so in revs ago, so the accounting was easier then, leaving out Apple’s presumably expanded accounting teams and systems in the present day.  Depending on news releases, I might be wondering about when the earnings call is right up until mid/late January 2012, since Apple appears to be announcing the release date only a few days in advance recently (except for March of this year?)

Another note:  Apple reported 65% YOY revs growth and about 91.5% YOY earnings growth back in fiscal Q1 2006 (9.8% net profit margin).  Six years on, and the pace of growth probably won’t change much, since I conservatively have Apple revs growth at +55% YOY and earnings growth at +80% YOY (and est. net profit margin of 26%). 

Did I mention that six fiscal years ago, the quarterly revs in the holiday quarter were $5.75B, and earnings at $565M?

Apple’s astounding performance never gets enough respect or even attention.  But it’s a big reason why I still invest in Apple.  This company isn’t even beginning to peak yet.

[ Edited: 26 December 2011 04:20 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 December 2011 04:36 PM #11

Red Shirted Ensign - 26 December 2011 02:38 PM

Ahhh, Paris at Christmas.

Magnifique…

At the other end of the scale, I get to holiday in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Favorite holiday game? Guessing the size & depth of the earthquake you just felt, and waiting to see the iPhone update with the official figures to see who was closest.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 26 December 2011 04:53 PM #12

moved

[ Edited: 26 December 2011 05:01 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 26 December 2011 05:07 PM #13

[also moved]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 December 2011 07:11 PM #14

Eric Landstrom - 26 December 2011 04:40 PM

FWIW, three out of four times our thinly-traded domestic equities market has bubbled up the last week of December for year-end window dressing.

That corresponds nicely to a Friday to Friday trend analysis I recently completed about a week ago.

From this coming Friday to the 30th of December I’m expecting a rise in AAPL’s intraday low of 4.33%, followed by a rise from the 30th to Jan 6 of 3.30%.  Aggregate represents a potential gain of about $29 from this Friday to Jan 6.  After that look for a selloff.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 26 December 2011 07:24 PM #15

Of course, trends don’t always recur.

The technicals folks here can help us in the trading what we see department in the coming days.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.