Good-bye Android

Posted: 29 December 2011 09:30 AM #46

Gregg Thurman - 29 December 2011 03:50 AM
    pats - 29 December 2011 01:54 AM

The creed for the college I attend was we will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.

Would that “college” have been in upstate New York?

Brad said print a certificate.  Which if your a regular officer at retirement you can get a certificate signed by the president, which recognizes your service.  As far as schools, I went to the Air Force Academy and the verbiage is from the honor code which if violated resulted in expulsion.  While business conduct seems to have far less ethics, it would seem to me that Android is material to Googles andertising business so they owe a bit more detail to the shareholder.  Maybe like advertising revenue per user and number of users.  it would also be helpful to know the amount of R&D Google is spending on this free and open system that way I have a chance to form an opinion on future growth and value.  The info providedby google is pure marketing speak to impress not inform.  The android OS is growing leaps and bounds, but IMO is hardly a single well defined ecosystem.  The handset manufacturers have already prove that OS upgrades are extremely limited and may never arrive so while Google goes about showcasing the great new features of their latest OS ice cream sandwich.  The consumer has very little chance they will gett o experience the OS on an existing handset and for new handsets they must wait for the mainstream manufacture to integrate the code into their code base and the test and release handsets which will take 3-6m.  By that time Google is demoing the next great desert.  I think this results in higher dissatisfaction amongst customers.  The market was growing so fast in 2011 that Apple’s rate of growth for iPhone left plenty of room for others.  In 2012 the market rate of growth is slowing IMO so if Apple is shooting for 100% growth then the space at the top end of the smartphone market will become much tougher, and the bottom is filled with Android, and we have Nokia reentering via Windows phone.

• Posted: 29 December 2011 10:33 AM #47

pats - 29 December 2011 01:30 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 29 December 2011 03:50 AM
    pats - 29 December 2011 01:54 AM

The creed for the college I attend was we will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.

Would that “college” have been in upstate New York?

Which if your a regular officer at retirement you can get a certificate signed by the president, which recognizes your service.  As far as schools, I went to the Air Force Academy and the verbiage is from the honor code which if violated resulted in expulsion.

I got the military part right, but missed the branch.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 29 December 2011 11:01 AM #48

Hey pats, Bloomberg thinks Apple’s sue everyone strategy that makes you so warm and fuzzy is screwing AAPL shareholders. They say that no company has ever used patents to just keep competition out of a market or to force them out of a market, that Apple’s patents are basically “look and feel” and easy in the scheme of things to work around, and that Apple should be licensing and getting some value out of its patents. It even vaguely raises the question of why continue the stupid war now that Ho Chi Jobs is no longer around.

Forget comparing Jobs and Gates as businessmen. Ballmer has proved to be a far better tactician in mobile IP than Jobs. It is kinda funny to watch you guys get screwed by the frenzy into which Jobs whipped you.

Posted: 29 December 2011 01:02 PM #49

Forget comparing Jobs and Gates as businessmen. Ballmer has proved to be a far better tactician in mobile IP than Jobs. It is kinda funny to watch you guys get screwed by the frenzy into which Jobs whipped you.

This statement is quite breathtaking. Is it based on Microsoft getting royalties for Android?  I can’t imagine how else the tactical skills of Mr. Ballmer have been evident in the mobile industry.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 29 December 2011 01:43 PM #50

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 29 December 2011 03:01 PM

Hey pats, Bloomberg thinks Apple’s sue everyone strategy that makes you so warm and fuzzy is screwing AAPL shareholders. They say that no company has ever used patents to just keep competition out of a market or to force them out of a market, that Apple’s patents are basically “look and feel” and easy in the scheme of things to work around, and that Apple should be licensing and getting some value out of its patents. It even vaguely raises the question of why continue the stupid war now that Ho Chi Jobs is no longer around.

I do hope that you invested in Microsoft rather than Apple during the past decade ...

Posted: 29 December 2011 02:55 PM #51

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:40 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:02 PM #52

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:12 PM #53

the_dragonfly - 29 December 2011 06:55 PM

I’m an actual developer, so let me school you on what the reality is, on the ground—or in the code.

Winner of the “Protestant parents warning son about Catholic girls” award for the year. I dabble in Android apps, and recently wrote a cool watchface for the WIMM One. There are plenty of business opportunities in the Android world that don’t rely on $1 and $2 app sales, just as there are in the desktop world and even in Apple’s tightly controlled iOS world.

BTW, the only appreciable difference most Android developers find when deploying to Android Market, Amazon, and B&N stores are the store-specific APIs that can handle in-app sales and additional copy protection. Even when developing for the WIMM One, you’ll spend most of your research time in Google’s Android SDK pages.

So school me on something you actually know something about.

• Posted: 29 December 2011 03:13 PM #54

the_dragonfly - 29 December 2011 07:02 PM

Ho Chi Jobs

Namecalling?  Really?  You know that just makes you look like an inarticulate jerk.

If it walks like a jerk and talks like a jerk…

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:34 PM #55

Signature

Posted: 29 December 2011 05:58 PM #56

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 29 December 2011 03:01 PM

Brad funny thing is most of these supposed experts might not have as much knowledge as they claim. The fact is not a single one of the lawsuits brought by Apple have run their course.  The article focuses on the injunctions which are really the fastest way Apple can get a decision from the court.  Apple has got injunctions against both Samsung and HTC in some markets and now suddenly they should settle for $10 fee.  Call me stupid but Apple can make more then 10$ per handset so if TC settles now before the real court proceedings then I would question why they sued in the first place.  The most recent patent at the start of the thread deals with methods which involve how to improve the touch screen.  Pretty much every android handset is using a multitouch panel and the patent references the core design and improvements to the existing touch screen technology.  If a handset manufacturer is using a multitouch screen, there is a good chance that they are in violation of Apple’s patent.  since the patent was just awarded.  It will take a few years, but based on lost sales to your beloved android, I’m sure Apple will take all the existing profit Google has claimed if that is their goal.  We are a few years away from detente.  At some point Apple will reach a compromise, but Bloomberg thinks you should settle before the first case hits the courts.  Wonder if google is paying these guys for their opinion.

Posted: 29 December 2011 07:42 PM #57

+

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 29 December 2011 07:12 PM
    the_dragonfly - 29 December 2011 06:55 PM

I’m an actual developer, so let me school you on what the reality is, on the ground—or in the code.

Winner of the “Protestant parents warning son about Catholic girls” award for the year.

More name-calling, Brad? Really? First of all, the_dragonfly made many of the comments I was going to make. I’m not an app developer, and won’t assume to comment on such, but all of his other comments are spot-on. (Thanks, the_dragonfly, for calling Brad out on the Ho Chi Jobs name-calling. You beat me to it.)

And Brad, as for Apple licensing its technology, why? First of all, this is Apple. They keep the technology they develop, unless they decide to open-source it. Licensing hasn’t been their style, ever, except for that Mac clone nightmare pre-Jobs Part II. And Bloomberg says Apple should be getting value out of its patents? Hmnn…I’d say having the lion’s share of ALL mobile phone profits is a pretty darn good value.

Look, Brad, I get it: You wish Apple would just license its technology so your precious open-source Android isn’t threatened. But just because you want something doesn’t mean it’s right, or that it has to be. Case in point: Do you know what I want?

I want to go out on a date with Summer Glau. In a Tesla Roadster. (A red one.) Is it going to happen? Most likely, no. But maybe Ms. Glau should open-source her personal life and Tesla should open-source their remaining Roadsters.

Funny thing, though: Summer Glau and Tesla have a choice to do with, respectively, a personal life and a line of all-electric sports cars, regardless of what I want.

Apple is no different. They can do what they want with their technology—keep it to themselves, license it, open-source it, whatever. Their technology. Their R&D dollars developed it. Their choice.

As I’ve said on many occasions before, I welcome competition, so long as it is genuine competition. I loathe, loathe, loathe Microsoft (because none of their products ever do what I want, Word being the primary guilty party), but I’ve always credited them with creating their OWN mobile platform. That’s competition. That’s always welcome.

Stealing never is. And that’s Android.

Finally, given that Apple is up over $400 again, I don’t see Bloomberg’s point that their patent strategy is negatively impacting shareholders at all. Hmnn…#1 in profits in ALL mobile phones. And #1 or #2 (its them or Exxon) for most valuable company, by MARKET CAPITALIZATION (that’s shareholder value) on the PLANET.

Oh heavens, what a miserable path has Apple chosen to trod….

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 29 December 2011 08:19 PM #58

Signature

Posted: 29 December 2011 10:30 PM #59

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 28 December 2011 04:22 PM

Andy Rubin’s number are Google activations. These do not include Kindle Fire or B&N Nook Color. But the combined 6.8M does include those non-Google Android activations.

There is no such thing as a non-Google Android activation. Android is a Trademark owned by Google. If a party doesn’t comply with Google’s licensing terms, it is not a Android device. Nowhere does Amazon or Barnes and Noble refer to their devices as Android devices. There is a reason for that.

Moreover, a source would be nice for your claims, as most resources on the Internet are claiming the opposite as you.

Posted: 29 December 2011 11:25 PM #60

Terrin - 30 December 2011 02:30 AM

There is no such thing as a non-Google Android activation. Android is a Trademark owned by Google. If a party doesn’t comply with Google’s licensing terms, it is not a Android device. Nowhere does Amazon or Barnes and Noble refer to their devices as Android devices. There is a reason for that.

Moreover, a source would be nice for your claims, as most resources on the Internet are claiming the opposite as you.

You are incorrect. On the Kindle Fire developer FAQ, Amazon uses the phrase Android device in a context that suggests your above “nowhere” claim is incorrect.

Here is the relevant quote for you to ponder:
    Which mobile operating systems does the Amazon Appstore support?
    The Amazon Appstore currently supports the Android operating system and works on Android devices running Android OS 1.6 and higher.

BTW, the term “Android device” is widely used to describe any device which runs the Android operating system, regardless of whether it has Google apps installed on it.