Four Industries Apple will change

Posted: 02 January 2012 12:18 PM

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/02/four-industries-apple-can-disrupt-in-the-near-future/

Great article

This guy has been reading AFB since he has written about ideas from FalKirk, Mercel, myself, and Mav.

In four years I see these industries be radically impacted by the Apple iOS.

I still think the TV is still at least 2 years away.  There are a few reasons for a delay.  Many of them are simple and pratical.  However right now the TV is easy to use.  You point and click a number and you get the channel most already know has a certain program.  Apple needs to make that process even easier.

First of all, I think Apple wants the highest resolution possible.  Right now it is only possible for a very high cost.  Secondly Siri needs to be very smart and work without the net.  That will take time.

Thirdly the Apple TV needs to work well with other iOS devices. Apple will want as many of those outthere in the wild.  I think they need at least 3/4 of a billion in order to persuade content providers that there is a new market for them to access.

I also think Apple wants to use a large piece of it cash pile to buy either content or delivery platform like cable or satelitte system.  They will need about $300 billion for a good world wide system..

In the mean time they can sell as many tablets and iPHones that they can produce. They will focuse instead on production capacity.  Cars, appliances, and watches will come in good time.

Posted: 02 January 2012 01:20 PM #1

omacvi - 02 January 2012 04:18 PM

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/02/four-industries-apple-can-disrupt-in-the-near-future/

Great article

This guy has been reading AFB since he has written about ideas from FalKirk, Mercel, myself, and Mav.

In four years I see these industries be radically impacted by the Apple iOS.

I still think the TV is still at least 2 years away.  There are a few reasons for a delay.  Many of them are simple and pratical.  However right now the TV is easy to use.  You point and click a number and you get the channel most already know has a certain program.  Apple needs to make that process even easier.

First of all, I think Apple wants the highest resolution possible.  Right now it is only possible for a very high cost.  Secondly Siri needs to be very smart and work without the net.  That will take time.

Thirdly the Apple TV needs to work well with other iOS devices. Apple will want as many of those outthere in the wild.  I think they need at least 3/4 of a billion in order to persuade content providers that there is a new market for them to access.

I also think Apple wants to use a large piece of it cash pile to buy either content or delivery platform like cable or satelitte system.  They will need about $300 billion for a good world wide system..

In the mean time they can sell as many tablets and iPHones that they can produce. They will focuse instead on production capacity.  Cars, appliances, and watches will come in good time.

Sponge, I would hardly consider the average consumer considers the TV easy to use.  Your example highlights a learned behavior.  The consumer is not looking for a channel they are looking for a show.  For example I was at my condo and wanted to watch the red wings hockey game.  I don’t have the channels memorized so I had to find the sheet of paper which listed the channels and then because a pistons basketball game was on at the same time the hockey game was moved to a different channel which unfortunately wasn’t available with my cable package at my condo.  This is hardly user friendly.  How about I say give me the redwings game and if I don’t current have access via my package it offers to sell me the viewing.  The current system of DVR’s and DVD players are to work around the limitations of the current system.  Time shifting is popular because you can’t get what you want on demand.  When I sit down to watch a program, I may know what I want or am interested in discovery.  The current cable system sucks at discovery.  Most of us waste 10 minutes surfing thru 100s of channels until we find what we want to watch.  The TV could easily use an algorithmic approach if it was aware of who was watching and had a history of previous liked programs.  A genius like function could suggest other material.

As far as the article goes.  I would rate it as mediocre.  As you pointed out the folks on the forum have done a better job of highlighting key technology of the future.  Personally I like to follow Patently Apple , since after SJ returned to Apple, the company has been aggressive in filing patents on all their ideas.  If you see multiple patents in a particular area, you can rest assured that Apple has significant engineering resources assigned to solve a problem.