AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

• Posted: 01 June 2012 12:11 PM #316

I started the political comments this morning so let me end them.  We clearly have very different views on what works and what doesn’t - diversity is a good thing, so be it.

Let’s stick to something that we all have in common - which is AAPL and the markets.

It becomes difficult and I’m not making excuses for myself for mentioning politics but our political atmosphere here in the U.S. and political policies abroad are affecting our markets so much that it drags our favorite stock down with it when in fact this stock should be so much higher.  It becomes a point of frustration.  Just when we think we are going to get a little rally out of it - the Evil Warlords clench their claws into it and drag it down.  It sucks…for lack of better nomenclature…it just sucks.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 01 June 2012 12:14 PM #317

I am very optimistic about the direction and speed of appreciation after Nov.smile

• Posted: 01 June 2012 12:30 PM #318

I like the market appreciation since 2009

• Posted: 01 June 2012 12:35 PM #319

A comment that Greenspan made - and I won’t say if I like him or not like him so as not to be “political”  - which I thought was insightful was that one of the biggest issues with the Euro was the strength of the individual cultures within Europe.  Each country has a deep history and the intent, he claims, was to make many of the countries convert to the German work ethic, and that simply didn’t happen.  He attributes the strength of the cultures to have been one of the biggest issues for this currency to be—- dare I say—failing.

I just thought he was eloquent in how he phrased it.  Interesting.  Again, his view - NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 01 June 2012 12:35 PM #320

roni - 01 June 2012 03:30 PM

+1

• Posted: 01 June 2012 12:41 PM #321

Paul S. - 01 June 2012 03:35 PM
    roni - 01 June 2012 03:30 PM

+1

I agree, if you are talking about the stock market or AAPL in general but not the employment or housing markets.

I used to love Fridays and weekends - now between all this economic news and weeklies -I just HATE Fridays!!!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:00 PM #322

Phoebear611 - 01 June 2012 03:35 PM

A comment that Greenspan made - and I won’t say if I like him or not like him so as not to be “political”  - which I thought was insightful was that one of the biggest issues with the Euro was the strength of the individual cultures within Europe.  Each country has a deep history and the intent, he claims, was to make many of the countries convert to the German work ethic, and that simply didn’t happen.  He attributes the strength of the cultures to have been one of the biggest issues for this currency to be—- dare I say—failing.

I just thought he was eloquent in how he phrased it.  Interesting.  Again, his view - NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT.

Interesting insight.  As to German work ethic…I’ll take 6 to 8 weeks vacation in a year anytime.  Where do I sign up for that?

Probably the equivalent of Daimler’s purchase of Chrysler…“a merger of equals”...is there a track record here?

• Posted: 01 June 2012 01:22 PM #323

madmaxroi - 01 June 2012 04:00 PM
    Phoebear611 - 01 June 2012 03:35 PM

Interesting insight.  As to German work ethic…I’ll take 6 to 8 weeks vacation in a year anytime.  Where do I sign up for that?

Probably the equivalent of Daimler’s purchase of Chrysler…“a merger of equals”...is there a track record here?

I am guessing that it is a reference point for the rest of Europe - don’t compare to US.  In the meantime, the Brits look brilliant for not having gone in the Euro…stronger currency, less unemployment.  Unfortunately, whether you are a Brit, an American, an Italian, Spaniard, Greek, German—- we all suffer each other’s pain in one way or another.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:28 PM #324

ChasMac77 - 01 June 2012 12:49 PM
    Phoebear611 - 01 June 2012 12:32 PM

Dow Futures down 110 before the number
    Non-farm payrolls: 69k
    Market is tanking - down over 200
    Also downward revisions in March and April
    Ugh - ugly day at all levels

Unemployment rate goes to 8.2% from 8.1%
    We need a change in leadership—sorry for the political statement but this is just disastrous.

And what’s the jobs plan from The Replacements? Oh yeah, cut more jobs and give more tax cuts to the yacht owners. That’s worked out well so far.

Sorry for the political statement.

With the money saved, I’ll be able to afford a cabana boy to wash the yacht?and let me tell you, that’s important because there aren’t any drive through car washes for yachts.

FWIW, it was the affluent who kept our economy from falling further when in late 2008, the affluent became 42% of all consumerism. Perhaps you didn’t participate and therefore don’t know, but I remember being the only guy buying a car or one of only a handful of customers at the home improvement store, or the only customer at my local shops. It wasn’t pretty.

Anyway, moving on austerity tends to cause GNP contraction and as a result, every good Keynesian will tell you that we must fist rev up our economy before implementing austerity. The trouble is that while cutting .gov spending causes GNP contraction, stimulative spending money without creating a pro growth atmosphere puts us in more difficult position with predictable results of higher debt that forces brinkmanship with sovereign bond markets thereby crushing savers which are the heart of the investing world.

Today Wall Street got only a little better than 1/3rd of the new jobs that it had thought would be created in the month of May. Although most expect the May number to be adjusted up next month, the damage is already done: Amid the uncertainty of what seems to be a defeated rally, the Dow Jones Index has wiped out all of the gains for the year as investors sold.

Those on fixed incomes continue to be crushed by uselessly low interest rates that are unable to keep up with inflation and slowly they are losing money. When selling begins in stride as it has today, combined with the unpredictability of regulatory headwinds of Frank Dodd, active money managers (they guys who run the funds many invest in) are forced to begin selling their positions in order to preserve capital rather than stay in the market and watch those investments devalue.

Meanwhile, savvy money managers wake up every day and look at the bond rates on the 10 year of Italy and the 10 year of Spain and the difference of yield between France’s 10 year bond and Germany’s 10 year bond as an indicator if the Eurozone will break up. In this regard, if the yield of France’s 10 year deviates much from the yield on Germany’s 10 year bonds, then the heart of the Eurozone is fracturing.

As it is, the cool kids continue to expect a slow draw down in growth from the late winter’s 2% to September/October of only 1% growth. As a result, election or not, the cool kids expect the Fed to QE3 in the fall in order to prop up an ailing economy.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 01 June 2012 01:46 PM #325

8.1 to 8.2% causes a selloff?  Give me a break. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/93805571-markets-overreacting-to-u-s-jobs-kelly-says.html

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:48 PM #326

Mercel - 01 June 2012 04:46 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/93805571-markets-overreacting-to-u-s-jobs-kelly-says.html

Pssst… markets always overreact.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

• Posted: 01 June 2012 01:56 PM #327

Eric Landstrom - 01 June 2012 04:48 PM

I know, I just like to Mr. Obvious sometimes.  :wink:

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:58 PM #328

Mercel - 01 June 2012 04:56 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 01 June 2012 04:48 PM

I know, I just like to Mr. Obvious sometimes.  :wink:

You got me.  tongue laugh

Signature

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:25 PM #329

I feel a disturbance in the force: Obama is close and his lips are moving.

As long as he keeps talking about the Minnesota Vikings football team, we’ll all be okay.

Signature

Posted: 01 June 2012 02:29 PM #330

Henry at SI today..

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=28180953

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before