Google?s Nexus tablet to be unveiled next week

Posted: 21 June 2012 02:34 AM

Google?s Nexus tablet to be unveiled next week

Google chairman Eric Schmidt revealed in December that the company was working on its first own-brand tablet, and the ?Nexus 7? slate will finally be unveiled next week during the Google I/O developer conference, according to multiple reports. The last reaffirmation comes from DigiTimes, which has reported a number of details surrounding Google?s upcoming tablet that will seemingly prove accurate. The site?s anonymous supply chain sources have previously stated that Google?s next major Android release, Jelly Bean, would come in the second quarter, and it reported later that Nexus tablet shipments would begin in June ahead of a July launch. As is the case with Microsoft?s Surface tablet, which was unveiled on Monday, it remains to be seen how Google?s own hardware efforts will impact its Android partners, some of which already seem to be exploring different ways to separate themselves from the pack or even ramping up efforts with new platforms. Google I/O begins on June 27th.

June seems to be the “hey, let’s alienate our hardware partners” month.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 21 June 2012 02:45 AM #1

Nexus 7.  I didnt know that had 6.

What are the chances that Google will learn from MS mistakes.  Pretty good.

What are the chances that Google will ......  whatever.

Posted: 21 June 2012 02:54 AM #2

Tetrachloride - 21 June 2012 05:45 AM

I’m sure Apple will do to the Nexus 7 what Deckard did to the Nexus 6 replicants in Blade Runner.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 21 June 2012 04:55 AM #3

A 7” Nexus tablet will steal all the thunder from the Fire and Nook. Google will sell millions at a loss and take market share from other sub-$250 tablets. Go for it!

I think a 7” Android tablet actually works better than the larger counterparts. It can run the Android phone apps without worrying about the lack of tablet-optimized apps.

But there are already a number of 7” Android tablets on the shelves. They aren’t selling very well. I’m not sure if a Nexus device will improve sales.

Android fans will get excited about a “pure” Android tablet. Aggressive pricing by Google could spur decent initial sales in the 3rd quarter. But Apple will soon announce quarterly sales of 20+ million iPads (~1.5 million per week) and put to shame any real sales number Google dares to announce. Most likely we’ll only hear about activation numbers again.

Posted: 21 June 2012 07:21 AM #4

JDSoCal - 21 June 2012 05:54 AM
    Tetrachloride - 21 June 2012 05:45 AM

I’m sure Apple will do to the Nexus 7 what Deckard did to the Nexus 6 replicants in Blade Runner.

And since Decker turned out to be a Replicant himself, you wonder just how far this forking ( personally, I love that term…so much one can do with the way it rolls off the tongue) could go. Will Android variants literally kill each other?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 21 June 2012 10:38 AM #5

Red Shirted Ensign - 21 June 2012 10:21 AM

And since Decker turned out to be a Replicant himself…

I thought it was the girl who turned out to be Replicant.

• Posted: 21 June 2012 12:04 PM #6

The girl was always a replicant. It was only a surprise to her smile

• Posted: 22 June 2012 01:32 AM #7

Drew Bear - 21 June 2012 01:38 PM

Different cuts of the movie make the hints more or less subtle that Decker is also a replicant. (Unicorn dreams…)

Posted: 22 June 2012 02:13 AM #8

Ridley Scott, the director, has said that Deckard was a replicant. But Scott, although a very talented director, has a really bad habit of changing the intended endings of the authors, most notably and horribly, in Hannibal. But who knows what Philip K Dick actually thought?

Signature

Posted: 22 June 2012 10:23 AM #9

JDSoCal - 22 June 2012 05:13 AM

Ridley Scott, the director, has said that Deckard was a replicant. But Scott, although a very talented director, has a really bad habit of changing the intended endings of the authors, most notably and horribly, in Hannibal. But who knows what Philip K Dick actually thought?

Excellent point.  The original story, “do androids dream of electric sheep” bears little resemblance to what we know as Blade Runner. 

Now, Prometheus…....that is clearly an allegory about the tablet wars… :-D

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before