iPad mini/Air Central

Posted: 15 August 2012 04:44 AM #376

Mercel - 15 August 2012 06:24 AM

The smaller iPad stories are breaking out all over the internet.  Who needs a ‘Yep” with all this smoke?  Can some mea culpas be far behind?  LOL

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/14/these-purported-schematics-of-the-ipad-mini-now-appear-to-be-real/

Mea culp-wha?

I’m all for the 4:3 ratio “Big iPod touch”, btw. wink  Even as I have the biggest and baddest of them all on my table at the moment.  Y’know, the new iPad.  LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 August 2012 05:07 AM #377

Gruber really goes into great detail, but here are the key excerpts for me:

The iPad Mini loses the comparison on pixel density, though. (Not a sentence one is accustomed to seeing regarding Apple products.) The Nexus 7 display is 216 PPI; the iPad Mini (purportedly and assumed) 163 PPI.

...There must be something great about the device?s design. If it?s not display quality, what else? I?m thinking thickness and weight…So I?m thinking the iPad Mini doesn?t get a retina display but in exchange gets to go remarkably thin.

How thin? As an iPhone devotee (thickness: 9.3 mm) I marvel at the relative thinness of the iPod Touch (7.2 mm) whenever I see one. So, how thin for the iPad Mini? How about iPod Touch thin: 7.2 mm. That?d be an entire third thinner than the Nexus 7.

Let?s further assume that weight loosely corresponds to volume…The Nexus 7 weighs 340 grams, so, let?s guess that the iPad Mini will weigh just 265 grams.

Weight is a huge factor, maybe the factor, in one-handed use, and its too-heavy-to-hold-in-one-hand weight has always been one of the biggest knocks against the iPad-as-we-know-it. I?m thinking the iPad Mini will be not just thinner and lighter than the iPad-as-we-know-it, but remarkably thinner and lighter than its competitors in the small tablet market. Yet it will have a bigger display.

Throw in cellular networking (which the Nexus doesn?t have), a rear-facing camera (which the Nexus doesn?t have), a competitive starting price on the entry-level Wi-Fi-only model, the App Store?s superior software selection, and worldwide availability (the Nexus 7 is available only in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom so far), and yeah, I?d say the prospects look OK for Apple in the small tablet market.

http://daringfireball.net/2012/08/ipad_mini_even_througher

Here’s the mockup by Rene Ritchie at iMore. Only slightly wider & taller than the competition, but much thinner & lighter…AND has a 40% larger display. Talk about a killer product! It’s going to make the Nexus 7 look like a chunky & plasticky toy.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-mini-smaller-bezel-incredibly-thin-and-light

• Posted: 15 August 2012 09:16 AM #378

Nice mockup! Great Xmas gift smile.

Posted: 15 August 2012 09:17 AM #379

Apple II+ - 07 July 2012 03:40 PM
    Drew Bear - 07 July 2012 11:14 AM

But if the goal is to produce a device closer in size/portability to the Nexus 7 with a higher resolution screen, then a 7” Retina iPad with 3:2 aspect ratio (not shown in the above graphic) makes more sense.

Imagine an iPad Mini about the same size as Android 7” tablets, but with a much bigger display.

It turns out the bezel on the Nexus 7 wastes so much space that you could fit a 7.85” 4:3 iPad Mini inside it and still have room for the home button and camera.

Bezel rumors now seem to confirm my prediction

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 August 2012 09:22 AM #380

Drew Bear - 15 August 2012 08:07 AM

Only slightly wider & taller than the competition, but much thinner & lighter…AND has a 40% larger display. Talk about a killer product!

And the name “iPad Air” isn’t bad, either.

I have to tell you that more than any other product in Apple’s history, this is the one that has me most drooling to get my hands on. It could be the sleeper hit of the century. I am not sure what you can even compare it to.

Aside from the relatively few people who have an irrational grudge against Apple, you can make the case that at the right price, virtually every single person on the planet will want to get their hands on this device.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 10:34 AM #381

Mav - 15 August 2012 07:44 AM
    Mercel - 15 August 2012 06:24 AM

The smaller iPad stories are breaking out all over the internet.  Who needs a ‘Yep” with all this smoke?  Can some mea culpas be far behind?  LOL

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/14/these-purported-schematics-of-the-ipad-mini-now-appear-to-be-real/

Mea culp-wha?

“Yep.”  And on the subject of “Yep,” Jim Dalrymple just added his name to the chorus of those predicting an iTV.  Nothing official, mind you, but Jim could not resist offering this little nugget recently:

.....The Esteemed Publisher of The Loop still believes Apple will still produce an actual HD television set. Time will tell.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 11:25 AM #382

I am one of those who has always been suspicious of the need for an iPad Mini.

First let me say that there is no doubt that any smaller iPad would sell well. But that’t not what Apple does. If Apple were a normal company, they would have split their iPod, iPod Touch, and iPhone lines into a dozen different splinter sizes. And they would have made a boatload of money doing so. But Apple strives to keep their lines separate and to have each product serve a unique purpose with little overlap. And in doing so, they’ve made more money than anyone could have imagined.

So the rumors make it clear that an iPad Mini is coming. There’s little doubt of that. But now my reservations for the need for one are melting away too. Why?

Based on the rumors, the iPad Air (love that name, hope it’s real) will:

- Be easy to scale (no need for developers to re-do their Apps)

- Be have a screen size that is 65% rather than 45% as large as the iPad

- Not have a retina display which will allow it to be…

- Incredibly thin; and

- Incredibly light.

Much of the appeal of the Amazon Fire, Nexus 7 and even the Kindle has been that it is easier to put in a coat pocket or purse and that it is much easier to hold for long periods of time while reading. I just didn’t think it was worth sacrificing much in order to gain those important - but not crucial - features.

But if the rumors are true, it appears that Apple - as is their wont - is going to try to have it all. A tablet that can run iPad Apps, but on a form factor that is incredibly thin and incredibly light. With the possible exception of price (which has not yet been revealed), there would simply be no reason to buy any competing product in the 7 inch category. The iPad Air would have the advantage of being;

- About the same size;

- with a much larger screen;

- as light or or lighter that the competition;

- with Apple’s design prowess;

- with Apple’s content and App library;

- with Apple’s brand.

Unless one were an Apple hater, there just wouldn’t be any if, ands or buts about it. If you were in the market for a 7 inch tablet, the only tablet to choose would be the iPad Air.

Finally, I have no worries whatsoever regarding the 9.7 inch iPad. I’ve been collecting examples of how the iPad is used in business and everyday life. I wrote a long article on this for tech.pinions entitled “The PC is the Titanic and the Tablet is the Iceberg. Any Questions?” (No link, because this isn’t a plug.) In the article, I listed all sorts of tasks where a tablet was useful but a PC was not. Many of those examples demand the largest screen possible. For example, if you’re in sales, you could get by with a 7 inch tablet, but a 10 inch tablet would be far superior because presentation - and screen size - are key. The 10 inch tablet will continue to thrive, particularly in business environments.

So even though I knew the iPad Air was coming and even though I knew it would sell well, I wasn’t sold on the NECESSITY of the iPad Air. Now I’m beginning to get it. (I’m a slow learner.)

My litmus test has always been that an Apple retail store representative need to be able to explain the key differences between any two products in a single sentence. If the rumored features are true, I think that can be done. The original iPad is most useful when you need to share its screen with others or need to work on applications that demand the biggest screen size available. The iPad Air is for when it’s all about you (the individual).

• Posted: 15 August 2012 11:40 AM #383

Well said FalKirk.

I can see myself using the 9.7” at work, and having a mini/Air at home for play. I had been very adamant against the release of smaller form factor for quite some time. But I think the benefits have become clear. Steve Job’s goal for Apple since the release of the iPod was to get more consumers in the Apple ecosystem. Not everyone can afford or desires the most expensive iPad, iPhone and Macbook. A smaller iPad targets that consumer, who in turn will hopefully jump on board with an iPhone 4, lower end Macbook Air, etc.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 12:07 PM #384

I have an iPad. I love it. And I do use it just for me, not for work. I could see that if this new iPad Air is like we think it might be, my current iPad could well feel bulky, thick, heavy, and ungainly by comparison, kind of like my wife’s 2-inch-thick state-of-the-art Compaq laptop from the 1990s.

If this is the case (we don’t know yet), consider that I would be willing to pay considerably more for this new, sleek, lighter device.

Posted: 15 August 2012 12:17 PM #385

For anyone who has not used a 3rd gen iPad extensively, the iPad Air will be great. I personally would not want to spend much time reading on a non-Retina iPad, but 80% of my friends and relatives would not know the difference. Every one of those people will lust after an iPad Air. I wonder if Apple can make enough for the holiday quarter.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 12:26 PM #386

AppleDoc - 15 August 2012 02:40 PM

I can see myself using the 9.7” at work, and having a mini/Air at home for play.

Centsless - 15 August 2012 03:07 PM

I have an iPad. I love it. And I do use it just for me, not for work. I could see that if this new iPad Air is like we think it might be, my current iPad could well feel bulky, thick, heavy, and ungainly by comparison, kind of like my wife’s 2-inch-thick state-of-the-art Compaq laptop from the 1990s.

If this is the case (we don’t know yet), consider that I would be willing to pay considerably more for this new, sleek, lighter device.

Agreed and agreed.

For me, the new revelations have started to bring things into focus.

All competing tablets have (inadvertently and unknowingly) drawn the line between “content’ and “Apps”. Smaller tablets are for content consumption. Larger tablets are for screen intensive Apps.

Apple, as usual, sees thing differently. They insist that their users have it all - content and apps. They draw the line between single and multiple. The iPad Air is for me. The iPad is for sharing or for work.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 12:35 PM #387

Drew Bear - 15 August 2012 03:17 PM

For anyone who has not used a 3rd gen iPad extensively, the iPad Air will be great. I personally would not want to spend much time reading on a non-Retina iPad, but 80% of my friends and relatives would not know the difference. Every one of those people will lust after an iPad Air. I wonder if Apple can make enough for the holiday quarter.

Agree. Hopefully if it is a hit, they will come out with a retina version soon enough. Of course I am willing to pay even more for that.

And I think it may be a very, very long time before they are able to make enough to meet demand - and I mean that in a good way.

Posted: 15 August 2012 12:59 PM #388

I’m sure Apple recognized this long ago, but so many compromises are made to accommodate the necessary battery. The 3rd gen iPad had to be slightly thicker for a battery large enough to power the Retina display. The next iPhone will likely be taller (though thinner) partly in order to make room for a battery large enough to handle LTE.

It might not make a sensational splash like a new iPhone or iPad, but some break-through Apple battery technology would be nearly as important.

BTW, who wants to bet that the next Samsung tablet is a knock-off of this yet-to-be-announced iPad Air? They’ll keep a widescreen aspect ratio, but bezel proportions, thinness and weight will mimic the iPad Air. Like all the MB Air knock-offs, this will also fail.

• Posted: 15 August 2012 01:04 PM #389

And Microsoft to be caught flat-footed again. How are they going to put a keyboard on this thing?

Posted: 15 August 2012 02:06 PM #390

It would be stupendous if this was the first product made using the exclusive right to manufacture LIQUID METAL in consumer electronics…..

.... it would be far cheaper than milling aluminum, and the buzz factor would be off the charts!

Apple Locks In Liquidmetal For Two More Years

The new evidence that Apple is serious about Liquidmetal is found in the 8-K filed by Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc with SEC on June 18, 2012. Here is the relevant portion from the 8-K:

On June 15, 2012, Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc. (the ?Company?) and Apple Inc. (?Apple?) entered into an amendment (the ?Amendment?) to the Master Transaction Agreement that they previously entered into on August 5, 2010 (the ?MTA?)?  Under the Amendment, the parties agreed to amend the MTA to extend the February 5, 2012 date to February 5, 2014.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition