iPad mini/Air Central

Posted: 25 August 2012 02:48 PM #406

Mercel - 25 August 2012 03:16 PM
    Mercel - 22 August 2012 11:42 PM

I believe there’s a good chance the 7.85” iPad Air gets announced on Sept. 12, possibly as a “one more thing…” as kind of a salute to the memory of Steve Jobs (and anniversary of his death).

October works fine for an iPad Air launch, a one-more-thing tribute.

Agreed…...and a solid hint given at the end of the September event ( like: see you all in a few weeks) will hold potential buyers of Kindles, Nexi, Surfaces, et al, awaiting the next great thing.

Christmas is going to be great this year…..

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 25 August 2012 04:55 PM #407

Looks like it will be called iPad Mini with this new story.  Also, the iPod Nano is rumored to sport WiFi capability.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/25/7-85-ipad-to-be-called-ipad-mini-and-wi-fi-cloud-itunes-coming-to-ipod-nano/

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:12 PM #408

Mini?  Nano?  Air?  All good choices.

iPod nano + Wi-Fi = oh boy, iPhone nano talk ALL OVER AGAIN if iPod nano joins the iOS family (though really, today’s iPhones seem like “small phones” now…)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:51 PM #409

Air is cooler.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 05:58 PM #410

Mercel - 25 August 2012 07:55 PM

Looks like it will be called iPad Mini with this new story.  Also, the iPod Nano is rumored to sport WiFi capability.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/25/7-85-ipad-to-be-called-ipad-mini-and-wi-fi-cloud-itunes-coming-to-ipod-nano/

I don’t know what it will be called, but I highly doubt it will be called “mini”. Extremely doubtful.

Posted: 25 August 2012 06:50 PM #411

I’d just like to state the obvious, as if anyone cares about my take, that I think two successive release events (rather than one) are awesome. It’s almost as if it is calculated to help us keep the share price up after the inevitable “sell the news” after the iPhone release. I know that is in no way the intent, but it will likely prevent or mitigate the effect.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 25 August 2012 06:55 PM #412

JDSoCal - 25 August 2012 09:50 PM

I’d just like to state the obvious, as if anyone cares about my take, that I think two successive release events (rather than one) are awesome. It’s almost as if it is calculated to help us keep the share price up after the inevitable “sell the news” after the iPhone release. I know that is in no way the intent, but it will likely prevent or mitigate the effect.

No question.  Tim gave us an early Christmas gift with the second event.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 07:08 PM #413

Mav - 25 August 2012 08:12 PM

iPod nano + Wi-Fi = oh boy, iPhone nano talk ALL OVER AGAIN if iPod nano joins the iOS family (though really, today’s iPhones seem like “small phones” now…)

I prefer Air, but like Nano, the name is taken by a different Apple product.  To avoid confusion, it would seem Mini is on the safest ground here.

Posted: 25 August 2012 07:13 PM #414

Mercel - 25 August 2012 10:08 PM

I prefer Air, but like Nano, the name is taken by a different Apple product.  To avoid confusion, it would seem Mini is on the safest ground here.

“Mini” implies it is small when in fact it has a much larger screen than other 7” tablets.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:49 AM #415

I vote for the iPod “Don’t Copy Me You Thieving Bastards Or We Will Go Thermonuclear On Your Asses.”

Too long?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 26 August 2012 02:13 AM #416

JDSoCal - 26 August 2012 03:49 AM

I vote for the iPod “Don’t Copy Me You Thieving Bastards Or We Will Go Thermonuclear On Your Asses.”

Too long?

How about iPad Little Boy then?  :wink:

• Posted: 26 August 2012 03:21 PM #417

Too long?

Too long or not, that name is too good to pass up. It could just be referred to by its short name, the iPod DCM.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 06:12 PM #418

Too long?

Nope. Just right.

Posted: 28 August 2012 11:34 AM #419

With this rumored build price, a $299 iPad mini looks probable.

http://www.cultofmac.com/187419/299-ipad-mini-could-cost-apple-just-189-32-to-build/

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 28 August 2012 02:25 PM #420

If Apple really wants to go thermonuclear, they’d price a bare-bones version at $249 or less. Optional upgrades for memory and LTE would bring ASP and margins up to “normal” levels. But I think the headline price needs to be lower than $299.