Dropbox wants my Mac system password .... why?

• Posted: 31 January 2013 10:15 AM

Does anyone know why?

I just installed Dropbox on three Apple devices, Mac Mini, MacBook and an iPhone.  With two of the three, Dropbox wants my system password (the iPhone does not have one), and it asks for it every time I reload.  As a fundamental rule, I would never give anyone my system password and I will remove the application if I can’t figure out a way to stop it from asking but, does anyone know why they want the password?

Thanks,
    AG

Posted: 31 January 2013 06:23 PM #1

Is it asking for the system password or access to the keychain? I’ve not had it ask for the system password every time. If you did not allow keychain access, then it will ask for that every time. That is because it stores your dropbox account information in the keychain.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 31 January 2013 08:16 PM #2

It is asking to access the Mac OS password in order for “Dropbox to work properly.”  It may be part of the installation, perhaps.  I did not give it the password and it seams to work just fine ... so far and unless Dropbox has a good explanation I will not give it the password.  I searched Dorpbox website and their documentation and I found nothing.  Unless I understand exactly what it’s attempting to do, I will delete it from my system.  I thought somebody has encountered this before and has an explanation.
    Thanks,
    AG

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:36 PM #3

It may be because it needs permission to install a widget onto the menu bar at the top of the screen that lets you open the dropbox folder, change preferences, etc.

Just my guess.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 01 February 2013 05:00 PM #4

Perhaps.  I will have to confirm that before I gave it the password.  So far it seams to be working just fine without it.
    Thanks,
    AG