iMac died

• Posted: 28 June 2013 12:29 AM

My 27 inch 2.8Ghz iMac died today. I bought this in Dec 2009.  I will call and make an appointment with the Apple store which is a 4 hr drive.  Not sure what the repair cost will be.  I have been comparing new Mac Mini and iMacs.  I wish the desk tops had the new Haswell processors.  This may be expensive.

• Posted: 02 July 2013 08:41 PM #1

Got back from the Apple store in Reno. The power supply failed.  Cost to replace it, $106. 

I was look at Mac Mini’s as a possible replacement if the cost was prohibitive.

What was interesting is they had replacement power supplies in stock so that means that power supply failure is not unexpected.

Looking forward to getting the iMac back.

Posted: 26 July 2013 03:45 PM #2

+

I have an early 2008 24” iMac that is always on, and often under heavy use (Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, Final Cut, playback of programs and movies via iTunes). Never had a problem with the power supply, but did blow out the internal drive after a few years. I make due with an external LaCie FW800 drive now, works fine. Blown internal drive aside, it’s the best computer I’ve ever had for the price. I think they’re great values.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com