iPhone 4S passcode error

• Posted: 27 June 2014 05:06 PM

I have an iPhone 5 (A1429) with 32 gigs of ram running the latest iOS 7.1.1. Recently while traveling in an urban area, I turned on my usual passcode. After a few days in that state I found that my phone wouldn’t accept my passcode, returning an error. So I shut down and restarted my phone, and then the passcode worked as usual. This happened a second time a few days later with the same “cure”. Now home again in a relatively secure area, I have left the passcode off.

I would assume that I have some corruption in my phone’s software and should restore from a backup. But before I do that a couple of questions.

1) are there any known issues for iOS 7.1.1 that have been noted on the forums that would change that approach?

2) should I restore just my phone’s system software, or restore everything? The reason to ask that is that restoring it all can take some time due to the number of songs, photos and apps.

3) should I restore from a fresh copy of iOS 7.1.1 since the backup in iCloud and on my computer may reinstall the corruption that has caused the problem? If the answer to that question is to install a fresh copy, how do I do that as opposed to restoring from a backup, and then what becomes of my preferences?

Chuck

Posted: 30 June 2014 09:17 AM #1

The first thing I’d try is a wipe and full restore from backup. It’s possible that your issue is caused by some cache- or temp-file corruption, and restoring from backup will still rebuild those.

Failing that then, yes, unfortunately that means restoring the firmware but NOT restoring from backup; instead manually resyncing all your apps, music/media and settings.

And hey, thanks for supporting the show and being a Premium subscriber! John and I really appreciate it.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.