TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 06 June 2003 04:59 AM #46

[quote author=“bweels”]But I’ve done that every time so far, and at this point, I just *wanted* a new one, dang it! :eg:

Hey Brian, look at it this way. SOMEONE has to buy those cars new so that our used car lovers can buy them off us later on. We’re doing them a service.

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 06 June 2003 09:34 AM #47

yeah, yeah, it’s charity work.  That’s it, that’s the ticket.

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 06 June 2003 09:41 AM #48

[quote author=“jinkies”]Ok, I think Eind wins for Fugliest Car Found.  :bugeyed: 

Well, outside of NASCAR.

“Name me three things uglier than Dale Jarret’s Ford:
    Tony Siragusa,
    In a G-string,
    Jumping on a diving board.”

Does anyone else remember the AMC Pacer? Yeesh.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 06 June 2003 11:12 AM #49

[quote author=“Jon Stanard”]Brian, congrats on your new car.  That’s awesome.  Do you have it yet?

Oh, man. I just got a call. They made a swap with a dealer over near Detroit to get the specs I wanted and they’ll have it today. Sounds like they might not get it prep’d and get the paperwork done today, though. So, it’s going to be sitting around a mile from my house until Monday. This is going to be a looong weekend.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 06 June 2003 01:37 PM #50

Don’t car lots there work on weekend??

When I bought my Odyssey, I was there until 11:30 at night, and I was not the last person there either.  That was a Saturday night.

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

Posted: 06 June 2003 01:54 PM #51

In general, most dealerships do work on the weekends, mostly because many people cannot come in during the week due to work.  I seem to remember picking up my WRX on a Saturday.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 06 June 2003 04:13 PM #52

I bought my car on Memorial Day (observed) 3 years ago.  Car dealers here are all closed Sundays by law (they like it that way, too, because it allows them a day off without worrying about the competition being open) but are open some holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day.  There were certain things I couldn’t get that day.  Parts/service isn’t open on Saturday, so I couldn’t get the floor mats until later.  But I could certainly drive the car home.  They did have a guy working that day who cleans up the car before you leave with it.  I can’t imagine why you couldn’t get your new car tomorrow if it’s arriving today.

• Posted: 07 June 2003 06:03 AM #53

Ooh, can I chime in about our least-favorite car models?

Ugh, I *hated* these cars. Fortunately, I think Suzuki only made them for 1 year. I haven’t seen one in a while.

I would have said Aztek first (and I’m sure the folks of Central and South America are really flattered by that choice of name), but…this is a very close second.

The thing that makes me maddest about the X-90 is that they add to the Roger Rabbit car-look of it by adding a spoiler. Why?!

Signature

—Katherine

Posted: 07 June 2003 09:24 AM #54

Well, they didn’t get my Murano here yesterday after all. It won’t be in town until Monday. So, Monday or Tuesday it is. :(

Waiting…......

Signature

Brian

• Posted: 09 June 2003 04:49 AM #55

Between that ugly-assed Honda, the Aztek, and the Chevy Avalanche, I have a question: when did Hasbro start doing automotive design?

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 09 June 2003 12:17 PM #56

I’m on the fence with the new/used debate.  I picked up my 97 Ford Ranger in 2000 from an old retired guy.  It had 8,000 miles on it (at 3 years old), had been parked in the garage on carpet squares.  Didn’t have the slightest scratch on the thing.  The bed looked like it had never been used.

Last year, though, I bought one of the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrids.  We had to have a family car, and I’m a big supporter of hybrids.  Now don’t get me confused with some environmentalist wacko…I don’t think they’re for everybody, and don’t think ANYONE should be forced to drive them around.  I just think they’re cool, and if I can get 50mpg out of it I’m game.  Rumor has it that the Ford Escape should have a hybrid model this year.

As for my next vehicle, if the vehicle I want is offered as used I’ll scoop it up…after a lot of looking around to find a gem (like I did with my truck).

Signature

"Age no more confers adulthood than a high school degree guarantees literacy."—Kathleen Parker

"We newsmen must always appear objective; truth is a secondary consideration."—Paul Greenberg

Posted: 09 June 2003 12:37 PM #57

[quote author=“JTuckerJX”]It had 8,000 miles on it (at 3 years old), had been parked in the garage on carpet squares.

Parked on carpet squares??!! :bugeyed:  rolleyes

Nice find. smile

Signature

Brian

• Posted: 09 June 2003 01:46 PM #58

[quote author=“thepoeticjuan”]Next, is a Queen Victoria (Ok, Crown Victoria) that we bought back in ‘97 that has about 125,000 miles (barely broken in). 

-snip-

I call the Crown Vic a poor man’s big car, but it is a smooth, good accelerating, city or highway cruiser.  Plenty of room up front on the sofa sized bench seat and you get a huge picture window to enjoy the scenery.  The back seat can host three full sized adults with plenty of leg and head room, or you can put three full sized car seats for children as well.  And the trunk - oh the trunk is huge - big enough for a hot tub, but not recommended.

Years ago, my wife and I rented a Crown Victoria for a long trip, since the car we had was OK but not the most comfortable thing on the road.  Since it was white and big enough to have its own zip code, it seemed natural to dub it Moby Vic.  It remains the only car either she or I has ever named, and it wasn’t even ours!  smile

Our present cars are variations on the UJS (Universal Japanese Sedan) theme:  My ‘99 Camry and her ‘96 Mazda 626.  The only difference between them and the millions of others like them is that both have manual transmissions.  The Camry has the 3-liter V-6 combined with the stick shift, which is definitely unusual, at least in the U.S.  Schweeeet!  We’re both shifty characters, but at least we’re not shiftless!  raspberry

Re ugly cars:  The Honda Element is odd-looking, but I don’t think I’d call it ugly.  The Pontiac Aztek, OTOH, is seriously ugly.  The difference between them, I think, is that the people working on the Element at least talked to each other.  The Aztek is the most disjointed design I’ve ever seen from a major auto company; it looks like the designers just threw design elements at a Velcro (tm) board and wherever they stuck, they stayed.

• Posted: 09 June 2003 01:48 PM #59

I actually saw one of the Honda Elements on the highway the other day, it seemed to be having trouble going over 45mph.  Or maybe the driver was just scared that way.  Or trying to get people to look at his car.  And yes, it’s looks as ugly in person as it did in the picture.

Jon, sorry about the accident, but i know that whenever i get a new used car, I practically hold my breath until i get that first ding in it, and then I know I can relax.  It’s over with.  And hopefully no-one got hurt.  (I’ll admit I’m not the best of drivers).

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

Posted: 10 June 2003 04:33 PM #60

Just for the heck of it, I’m going to post an actual pict of my car:

Yes, that is the side of the vehicle that got dented, but its been fixed.  (I commented about the dent earlier.)  And yes, that’s Varner’s car in the background.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."