I don't see another X update before MACWORLD NY

Posted: 21 June 2001 02:42 PM

Someone show me the error of my ways, but I don’t see another update to Mac OS X until the big one at MACWORLD.  It’s getting so close, why bother with an update?

Thoughts?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 19 June 2001 06:41 AM #1

I am not so sure about this because there is almost a month until MACWORLD NY.  Apple has plenty of time to release an update, even if it is something small. 

Signature

Windows sucks.

Posted: 19 June 2001 11:42 AM #2

At the speed Apple was releasing 10.01,.02,.03 I thought for sure we’d get an update every month.  I have heard news about a 10.04.  So my thinking goes like this:
    10.04 doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade.  I figured Apple was going to do a bigger upgrade at NY.  I have a feeling 10.04 might be released before NY, but that doesn’t leave a lot of room for a big update.  So I’m not sure.

The AppleScript guys at Apple keep telling us they fixed this and that but the updates haven’t been released yet.  So I think the MacOS Classic and X upgrades are going to happen in NY.

Posted: 19 June 2001 11:49 AM #3

Interesting, Burnum.

For what it’s worth, I too thought we would have had a new update due to the speed of the first three updates.  I guess I was quickly spoiled. 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 19 June 2001 01:27 PM #4

You know why everyone is asking for updates? Because nothing works!

• Posted: 19 June 2001 01:33 PM #5

My real question is when we will be seeing a 10.1 update, rather than another 10.0.x update.  I’m hoping that a 10.1 update will bring along all of the fixes that the major developers have been talking about, as long as increased optimization in the Quartz area.

• Posted: 19 June 2001 01:52 PM #6

I love how the posters in this forum have ignored trolls, it Owns.

This is my prediction for MacWorld: OS 9.2 will be released.  OS X 10.1 will be released with improved support for CD burning and MIDI.  Carbon will have a major update, as will Quicktime.

I also think there are some minor issues which will be resolved in a minor update between now and then, for OS X.  A version OS X 10.0.4?

I am going off rumor here, but it seems like rumors often turn out to have truth.  Especially minor rumors like incremental OS upgrades.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 19 June 2001 02:02 PM #7

On 2001-06-19 16:52, Retro wrote:
    I love how the posters in this forum have ignored trolls, it Owns.

I too have been incredibly impressed with the calibre of people posting here.  There are definitely some bright folks stopping in.

Signature

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:23 PM #8

guess you were wrong.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:37 PM #9

On 2001-06-21 17:23, Anonymous wrote:
    guess you were wrong.

Yes, there’s a new thread about 10.0.4 at
    http://www.macobserver.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=126&forum=3&start=0

I just downloaded it from Software Update a few minutes ago.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:42 PM #10

See??? I told you so!

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.