Mac OS X 10.0.4 released

• Posted: 28 June 2001 01:27 AM

I haven’t had a chance to see if it’s mentioned on Apple’s site but Mac OS X 10.0.4 just appeared in Sofware Update for me. I’m installing as I write this.  Will post more after restarting.

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-21 17:39 ]</font>

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:20 PM #1

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:22 PM #2

Sweet!  So don’t hold us in suspense, whats new!!?

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:27 PM #3

The readme says:

The 10.0.4 Update delivers a significant number of improvements for USB devices including additional external device support for iTunes CD burning, improved battery life for many PowerBook G3 systems, and Classic compatibility improvements. This update also provides the latest security updates to OpenSSH and ‘sudo’ services and includes support for Apple’s newest digital flat-panel, the 17-inch Apple Studio Display.

Note: The 10.0.4 Update will update Mac OS X v 10.0.3 to Mac OS X v 10.0.4.

It seems to have turned the background of the terminal back to white.
    It also seems a bit faster.

One thing to keep in mind: I did get this from Software Update, I didn’t pirate it off of Hotline. It’s official, unless Apple made a mistake and posted it early.

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-21 17:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-21 17:32 ]</font>

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:45 PM #4

If that readme is all it is, that isn’t very much ... a few extra CDRs in ‘iTunes’ burning, updated sudo ... most likely OpenSSH2.9p1 (portable 2 was just released a few days ago).

I wish I was at work!  I’m on linux here at home, my iMac is at work ...

• Posted: 21 June 2001 02:53 PM #5

[localhost:/usr/bin] david% ssh -V
    OpenSSH_2.9p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090581f

[localhost:/usr/bin] david% sudo -V
    Sudo version 1.6.3p7

• Posted: 21 June 2001 03:12 PM #6

yup, i didn’t think they’d get OpenSSH2.9p2 in there in time

• Posted: 21 June 2001 03:41 PM #7

Who else has downloaded 10.0.4 so far?  For those of you who have, what are your first impressions?  Do you think it’s faster?  Do you notice any problems that you used to have but were fixed in this update?

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:05 PM #8

Finder DEFINITELY feels faster in the screen redraw area; opening/closing folders is much faster, menu items seem faster, and live-resizing seems a little faster.

No DVD support from what I can see or at least no player to be found from looking in the Apps folder.

Still no fix for typing in a letter, in list view, and having the window jump there.

Haven’t a chance to try anything else yet.

—john

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:15 PM #9

I just installed 10.0.4 a little while ago. First it removed all of my custom system icons. Applications seem to launch faster and run faster. The Finder is actualy usable. I can drag windows around with smooth animation. Window resize is better, but still slow. I am running it on a PowerBook so I can’t wait to see if Apple’s claims of better batery life is true. I’ll post more soon.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:16 PM #10

There is a list of fixes here:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106360

I’m very happy that they seem to have fixed a couple of my problems: USB hot swapping causing kernal panic, lost cursor in Classic, repeating character in Classic.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:29 PM #11

On 2001-06-21 17:45, Anonymous wrote:
    If that readme is all it is, that isn’t very much ... a few extra CDRs in ‘iTunes’ burning, updated sudo ... most likely OpenSSH2.9p1 (portable 2 was just released a few days ago).

I wish I was at work!  I’m on linux here at home, my iMac is at work ...

You wish you were at work? What’s wrong with you?

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:45 PM #12

Just finished the install.

No particularly fantastic improvements in performance. (I’m on a G4 2X500MHz, 256MB RAM.)

Application launching feels faster, but that’s likely a result of the prebinding that the updater does, and it will deteriorate over time, as usual.

The only major improvement is that my right-click button works in Classic! Still no scroll-wheel support.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 21 June 2001 04:50 PM #13

Anomymous: It would be a good idea to register in the forums to make it easier for people to keep track of who says what and to help us know who we are replying to.

Ricky: That’s good news regarding the second mouse button in Classic.  It’s something I sorely missed when using Classic.  I hope scroll wheel support is provided to all applications including Carbon and Classic programs soon!

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-21 19:55 ]</font>

• Posted: 21 June 2001 05:53 PM #14

Fussili:

Wehey! New update!

I can test if its faster. At home there are 2 iBook DVD SE’s, both running OSX so I can do a benchmark for you guys.. Install on one and crossreff to the other.. =]

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 21 June 2001 06:42 PM #15

the finder does feel more responsive to me. window resizing is still choppy, but has definately gotten a bit better.

-prophei