Worst product (for but not made by Apple)

• Posted: 02 July 2001 08:25 PM

What does everyone think the worst ever product was/is made for Apple by third parties. I’m thinking broadly here - it could be a multi-platform product if Apple customers use it.

I would vote for Que blue and white 8x4x32x CD-RW’s and External SCSI Orb drives, mostly for the fact that they never seem to work right and they have terrible customer support!

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:53 PM #1

I would have to vote for Word 6 by Microsoft.  Any objections?

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 28 June 2001 07:01 PM #2

What a question!

Word 6 is a good choice, but so is IE 3.0.  There have been so many bad ports too.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 07:35 PM #3

Avantgo. The Palm-synching thing. Great concept. Full of bugs.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 28 June 2001 10:38 PM #4

My friend had this Que 4x/4x/8x CDRW and it was not very good.  He couldn’t ever get more than 2x on the recorder and he lost lots of discs.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 09:22 PM #5

By far, the IOMEGA zip CD 650 usb.
    This burner is so horrible that it will only burn one CD before needing a cool down period.
    Seriously sucky.
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 01 July 2001 12:21 AM #6

I actually had tremendous success with the Iomega ZipCD.  Burned many a CD and didn’t lose a one.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 01 July 2001 05:17 PM #7

The original Super Drive.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 07:40 AM #8

On 2001-07-01 20:17, Justin wrote:
    The original Super Drive.

Uh, do you mean the one for the Apple II?
    Or do you mean the Sony floppy drive?
    Or do you mean the Imation LS-120 (aka SuperDisk)?
    Or do you mean the Pioneer DVD-R?

Gotta love reusable product names?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DanLyons on 2001-07-02 10:41 ]</font>

Signature

A man who finds himself in an empty room…
    is alone. - DL

• Posted: 02 July 2001 08:57 AM #9

How about the Zip drive, period.  Can anyone here say “Click of Death”?  I think Iomega tech support still has not heard about this “issue”.  That is, if you can get ahold of them.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 09:04 AM #10

Uh, do you mean the one for the Apple II?
    Or do you mean the Sony floppy drive?
    Or do you mean the Imation LS-120 (aka SuperDisk)?
    Or do you mean the Pioneer DVD-R?

I was actually thinking about editing the message and being more specific immediately after I posted it.  I did mean the Superdisk made by Imation.  It can also be used on PC’s however.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 05:32 PM #11

My vote would have to be Word 6. After using Word 5 successfully for several years on MacClassic and Quadra 605, Word 6 nearly ground it to a halt. And the un-Mac like features (i.e. Windows) were absolutely horrible.

Signature

patience - now that’s a virtue I can’t wait for!

• Posted: 02 July 2001 08:25 PM #12

I feel I must append my earlier beef with iomega. After calling their tech support and describing the problem, they immediately put a replacement burner in a box and it is on its way to me as we speak.
    That is good customer service.
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.