iframe help - please!!!!

Posted: 17 February 2002 11:57 AM

I am building a new site and want to use iframes in it. I got the iframe to work, I got the links to work…......but there is a problem with the image bar on the left.

It does not line up right. I have tried aligning to the top and text top and it does not work. Any advice is welcome. 

Here is the URL of what the image should look like:

http://spider.reddingdiscount.com/chrissite/chris2/chris_2.html

Here is the URL of the page I am working on:

http://spider.reddingdiscount.com/chrissite/chris2/chris_3.html

TIA.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 14 February 2002 02:54 PM #1

Which browser are you using?  The two pages look identical to me in OmniWeb.

Posted: 14 February 2002 04:19 PM #2

Mac: IE 5.1, NS 6, NS 4.76

PC: IE 5.5, IE 6

Signature

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 14 February 2002 10:46 PM #3

Hmm. Some people complain that OmniWeb doesn’t render pages correctly.  In this case it seems to be the only one that does.

• Posted: 15 February 2002 09:12 AM #4

David: They’re not meant to look the same; OmniWeb is ignoring that big juicy iframe there filled with text.

Spider: That is one scary bunch of slicing you did there! That iframe is whacking everything out of joint because you have put this:

<tr height="20">
                        <
    td width="598" height="36" colspan="3" rowspan="2" valign="top" align="left" xpos="113">
                            <
    iframe bgcolor="#42b299" width="525" height="400" scrolling=auto frameborder=0 src="texttest.html" name="frame">

</
    iframe>
                        </
    td>
                    </
    tr

right in the middle of the table structure on the left, in between ‘Home’ and ‘The Law’.  What you really want to try is do a big fat table row like so:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<
    tr

<
    td colspan="2">Put the top part of the inverted L hereThis TD spans the width of the page.</td>

</
    tr>

<
    tr

<
    td width="xyz"><!-- Use this table cell
     to dump in all your nav bar stuffies on 
    the left
    You should define xyz in pixels 
    here
    . --></td>

<
    td>

<!-- 
    iFrame wants to be hereblocked away in its own TDso as 

not to conflict with the fun stuff on the leftDon't declare
    a width for this TD; it can stretch
    as far as it wants. -->

<iframe width="525" height="400" 
    scrolling=auto frameborder=0 src="foo.html" name="frame"></iframe>

</td>

</tr>

</table> 

See what I mean?  (If this didn’t make sense, say so and I’ll build you a page that shows you in more detail. It’s 5am right now.)

(edit for sidescroll caused by CODE’s dislike of long comments)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-02-15 13:21 ]</font>

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

Posted: 15 February 2002 07:20 PM #5

Build it. Please.  I am a visual learner.

Thanks.

This is how I got around it for the mean time. I used regular frames with a bit of trickery….

http://spider.reddingdiscount.com/chrissite/chris2/frames.html

*And if you like those photos, you can license them from me for 50? a piece.   Got to make money where you can…

Signature

• Posted: 15 February 2002 10:46 PM #6

You know what? Leave it; the regular frame workaround is perfect, and looks just like the original one, except in OmniWeb where the frame borders are clearly visible.

(I’ll build you one anyway, though. Watch this space.)

Signature

Posted: 15 February 2002 11:01 PM #7

I appreciate you building one. I do want to learn the iframe. I have put it off for about…oh, forever!

I don’t want to buy any more HTML books to learn it, and it seems as if the HTML guides on the web are not thorough enough for me. They just do not explain all of the intricacies of the use of them.

Or maybe I am just dense. 

Thanks again.

Signature

Posted: 16 February 2002 01:02 AM #8

Is it “MediCaid” or “MediCade?”

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 16 February 2002 01:32 AM #9

Medicade will cure what ails ya.  Now in lemon, orange, and Arctic Blue!

<iframe> itself is not too complex, it’s just learning tables and so on. Where the confusion seems to have come from is that scarily complex table you’ve got there to arrange your nav frame, and the fact that the table doesn’t leave room for the body of the piece on the right there was the screwup point.

Regular frames are more reliable, IMNSHO.

Signature

Posted: 16 February 2002 10:48 AM #10

It is MediCaid. I screwed up on the second one but is is easily fixed.

That table is the result of a layout grid. Not the not so famous GoLive version, but the TypeStyler version. 

I think I am going to keep the frames. Makes life easier.

So, pretty much for iframes, I just plop it anywhere?  If there is a table I have to create it’s own <TD> tag for it?

Signature

• Posted: 17 February 2002 11:57 AM #11

Er… yes and no.  As in, yes you can plonk <iframe> anywhere, but it’s like plonking anything just anywhere - you do have to make sure there’s room.  <iframe> doesn’t *have* to be in its own table cell (although in a layout like yours, it better be), but it’ll make life a whole lot easier when you know it’s not going to wreck your other elements.

Idea: Next time you’re using TypeStyler, or indeed anything else to do your layouts like that, just leave a big chunky piece of white space in the layout.  It’ll make a huge empty slice image inside an appropriately sized <td>. When it comes time to add your stuff, you can just remove the big blank image and replace it with the stuff you *really* want to put there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-02-17 16:00 ]</font>

Signature