The Future of RIMM

• Posted: 13 September 2011 09:06 PM #76

Red Shirted Ensign - 13 September 2011 06:28 PM

RIM reports results for its second quarter Thursday afternoon after the bell.

RSE:  I can’t wait for the conference call!!!

All Is Well!

Don’t Panic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

Posted: 14 September 2011 02:12 AM #77

Team huddle!

We buying puts or what?

Thinking about weeklies, but not especially committed to buying, even though RIM’s earnings day should be equal parts grim and incomprehensible (the CC part).

(WARNING:  THE UPCOMING DISCUSSION, IF THERE IS ONE, IS NOT MEANT TO BE A PROXY FOR INVESTMENT ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE MAY LOSE VALUE PRICE AND PARTICIPATION MAY VARY MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION FROM INVOLUNTARILY SOBBING WHEN YOUR SIDE BET GOES HORRIBLY AWRY)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 September 2011 02:21 AM #78

My inner two-year-old trader wants me to buy weeklies.  Also looking at Oct 11s. 

I’ll probably be more inclined to get Oct 11s or possibly a little later if RIMM trades down significantly tomorrow. 

No doubt, buying puts on RIMM is a risky bet.  It doesn’t help that none of us have made estimates to compare against the analysts.  raspberry

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 September 2011 08:39 AM #79

adamthompson3232 - 14 September 2011 05:09 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-14/rim-poised-to-miss-tablet-estimates-as-ipad-wins-19-1-tech.html?cmpid=yhoo

The company, which reports earnings tomorrow, probably sold about 490,000 PlayBooks during the first full quarter of sales, according to a Bloomberg survey of analysts, compared with the 9.25 million iPads shipped last quarter.

It amazes me that RIM was able to sell a half a million of those dogs.

Posted: 14 September 2011 10:06 AM #80

FalKirk - 14 September 2011 11:39 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-14/rim-poised-to-miss-tablet-estimates-as-ipad-wins-19-1-tech.html?cmpid=yhoo

The company, which reports earnings tomorrow, probably sold about 490,000 PlayBooks during the first full quarter of sales, according to a Bloomberg survey of analysts, compared with the 9.25 million iPads shipped last quarter.

Remember, these are just extrapolation based on limited surveys and/or polls.  I’m guessing those numbers could easily be a 1/10 of what they’re projecting.  These are the same analysts still expecting AAPL to grow 10% EPS for the second half of 2011 YoY.

• Posted: 14 September 2011 01:57 PM #81

FalKirk - 14 September 2011 11:39 AM

If you defined “sold” as “shipped to channel partners,” it’s believable. Otherwise, no.

Posted: 15 September 2011 06:07 PM #82

Wow!  Did anyone expect RIMM to be down -18% AH (as of right now)?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 September 2011 06:14 PM #83

Check out http://www.thestreet.com/story/11250477/1/research-in-motions-earnings-live-blog.html if you want to follow along with the ongoing conference call.

Posted: 15 September 2011 06:20 PM #84

I guess that with this latest miss WS realizes now that RIMM has lost its future and their only chance to survive is to find some niche for their products. But this will not happen as long as the management is still in denial.

For the record:
    I have also some puts - actually German “Put Optionsscheine”, which are more like leaps.  :-D
    I have bought them several weeks ago and they expire next June with a strike price of $30. I may sell some part of them tomorrow and maybe keep the rest till next year.

• Posted: 15 September 2011 06:26 PM #85

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company?s adjusted net profit plummeted 47% to $419 million, or 80 cents per diluted share, on revenue of $4.2 billion.

RIM shipped just 10.6 million BlackBerry phones and only a meager 200,000 PlayBook tablets in the three months ending August 27, sharply below analysts? average estimates. No word was given on the discrepancy, if any, between units shipped and those that were actually sold.

http://macdailynews.com/2011/09/15/beleaguered-rim-reports-precipitous-drop-in-quarterly-profit-weak-sales-stock-plummets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+wordpress/xhfA+(MacDailyNews)

• Posted: 15 September 2011 06:35 PM #86

I didn’t get in on the RIMM puts today.  Really thought about it, but in the past WS has shown RIMM to be a darling, and I just was too concerned that there would be some little ray of sunshine in their earnings which would shoot the stock up. 

Congrats to those who didn’t think like I did!

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 15 September 2011 06:46 PM #87

Just reading the feed from thestreet.com for RIMM’s earnings. Saw this interesting post”

Scott Moritz:
    Ouch, RIM said it spent $1.5 billion of its 2.9b in cash on that Rockstar Bidco consortium that Apple helped organize to buy Nortel patents.

Posted: 15 September 2011 06:50 PM #88

Half of its cash?!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 September 2011 07:24 PM #89

Lazaridis conceded the PlayBook had been hindered in the marketplace by a lack of apps and content. He said the company would offer a ?bundle? of ?a number of significant features and enhancements,? which will be demo?d in October.

Lazaridis outlined those improvements:

Built-in native e-mail, calendar and contacts ? the previously announced Android App player, enhanced web browsing ?

October? Demo’d? Still no native email?

• Posted: 15 September 2011 07:33 PM #90

CdnPhoto - 15 September 2011 09:46 PM

Just reading the feed from thestreet.com for RIMM’s earnings. Saw this interesting post”

Scott Moritz:
    Ouch, RIM said it spent $1.5 billion of its 2.9b in cash on that Rockstar Bidco consortium that Apple helped organize to buy Nortel patents.

I think they spent 780M on patents. RIMM cash fell by 1.5B. 300M in capex and 300M or so in inventory,

So RIMM inventory has increased from 600M—950M—1.4B from quarter before playbook launch till now. What are they going to do with that??? RIMM has to drain the channel first, and it said it will need special promotions to do so. So, I would expect shipments this quarter to be about nil. Perhaps they catch a wave late for holiday sales.

Signature

Financial Alchemist