The future of Nokia

Posted: 30 August 2011 12:30 AM #31

*chuckle*

*chortle*

*guffaw*

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 September 2011 05:01 PM #32

adamthompson3232 - 30 September 2011 05:47 PM

New OS coming from Nokia.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/29/nokia-meltemi-feature-phone-os/

So they are building an entirely new OS for that portion of the market that is disappearing. Incredible. Like making a new type of horseshoe in the age of the Model-T.

• Posted: 13 October 2011 04:53 PM #33

Somewhat bored I reread this Dedieu post from a while back.  It seems even more prescient today than it did then.

http://tinyurl.com/MSFT-Mobile-Partners-Parade

If past is prologue, then NOK is toast.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 20 March 2012 08:10 PM #34

The “poorly designed Iphone interface” is gonna get a lesson from Nokia. Hang on…..it’s gonna rock your world.

______________________________________—

Nokia is building a revolutionary new phone to combat the ?poorly designed? iPhone
    By: Zach Epstein | Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:10AM   Comments Filed Under: Mobile

Nokia?s upcoming Lumia 900 Windows Phone could be the first smartphone running Microsoft?s mobile operating system to really make a splash in the United States. BGR exclusively reported that the new flagship 4G handset will hit AT&T store shelves late next month alongside a massive marketing blitz and a big subsidy program that will leave the phone with a surprisingly low $99.99 price tag. As impressive as the Lumia 900 is shaping up to be, however, Nokia is apparently working on another smartphone with new technology that will blow us all away. Read on for more.
    In an interview with Finnish newspaper Kauppalehti, Nokia design boss Marko Ahtisaari said that the company is currently working on a revolutionary new smartphone that will make other handsets seem dated.

According to the Nokia executive, Apple?s user interface on the iPhone is ?poorly designed? and convoluted. ?The road from the kitchen into the dining room is always through the front door,? Ahtisaari told Kauppalehti. Meanwhile, operating systems like Symbian and Android are described by the design veteran as ?dollhouses,? with furniture users can pick and rearrange.

Microsoft?s Windows Phone is more natural according to Ahtisaari, and the mysterious new smartphone Nokia is building will apparently push the mobile platform even further into the future.

The executive wouldn?t provide any firm details regarding the device, but he didn?t hesitate to set sky-high expectations. The phone will feature breakthrough technology that revolutionizes the user experience according to Ahtisaari, and owners will not have to bend down or even touch the screen in order to operate it.

Ahtisaari?s brief description of the technology suggests some type heads-up technology, or perhaps voice-driven controls similar to Apple?s virtual assistant Siri or Microsoft Kinect. We?re not sure how revolutionary voice controls would be be considering how widely voice command technology will be used this year, however. Nokia declined to comment.

UPDATE: A Nokia spokesperson contacted BGR with additional details regarding some of Ahtisaari?s comments. The interface elements he described during his interview are in fact concepts Ahtisaari has been discussing since December 2010, when he spoke about them on stage at LeWeb. The spokesperson declined to comment on if or when these concepts might appear in a production device.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/20/nokia-is-building-a-revolutionary-new-phone-to-combat-the-poorly-designed-iphone/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 20 March 2012 09:05 PM #35

In an interview with Finnish newspaper Kauppalehti, Nokia design boss Marko Ahtisaari said that the company is currently working on a revolutionary new smartphone that will make other handsets seem dated.

Obviously, Marko Ahtisaari is not an adhereant to the “under-promise, overperform school of thought.

“According to the Nokia executive, Apple?s user interface on the iPhone is ?poorly designed? and convoluted.”

And this is coming from the company that gave us Symbian and Meego?

Microsoft?s Windows Phone is more natural according to Ahtisaari…

...but not according to anyone who is actually paying money in order to buy a phone…

...and the mysterious new smartphone Nokia is building will apparently push the mobile platform even further into the future.

Even further into the future? Is the current Nokia phone already in the future, because that might explain it’s lack of success in the here and now.

The executive wouldn?t provide any firm details regarding the device, but he didn?t hesitate to set sky-high expectations.

Moron.

The phone will feature breakthrough technology that revolutionizes the user experience according to Ahtisaari, and owners will not have to bend down or even touch the screen in order to operate it.

If any of this were true, then why, why, why would you be talking about it now? Keep it in your pants until you’re ready to whip it out.

UPDATE: A Nokia spokesperson contacted BGR with additional details regarding some of Ahtisaari?s comments. The interface elements he described during his interview are in fact concepts Ahtisaari has been discussing since December 2010, when he spoke about them on stage at LeWeb. The spokesperson declined to comment on if or when these concepts might appear in a production device.

Concept designs in discussion since 2010? Unbefrickenbelievable.

Posted: 20 March 2012 09:11 PM #36

I had no idea tapping an icon was so convoluted. 

Those little kids and cats and tech-fearing people…it’s just remarkable how they ever pick it up!

I…have to reassess the better way to launch apps.  Maybe…with the power of my MIND!

LOL

Good to have you back every so often Fal.  Funny how the Nokia leaves out a little something called iOS 6.  The convoluted one-tap buttons may remain, but what’s next is anyone’s guess.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 March 2012 09:37 PM #37

Mav - 21 March 2012 12:11 AM

I…have to reassess the better way to launch apps.  Maybe…with the power of my MIND!

You nimrod! People are looking over here at me and staring because I’m literally laughing out loud. Stop being so damn funny!

Mav - 21 March 2012 12:11 AM

Good to have you back every so often Fal.

I must still be receiving notifications from this thread. The post suddenly popped up in my inbox and I couldn’t resist responding.

Good to talk with you too, Mav.

Posted: 20 March 2012 09:39 PM #38

Got a convoluted new iPad?  It’s confusingly nice. smile

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 June 2012 12:33 PM #39

A thought just occurred to me. Why should Microsoft buy Nokia. They’re getting everything they could possibly want from Nokia now for free.

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

• Posted: 28 June 2012 12:37 PM #40

Yes.

I understand that their manufacturing and logistics are in tatters by now. All that’s left is IP. Once the rest of the company is destroyed, MS can buy it without paying for the bits they don’t want, and they have eliminated a player to boot.

• Posted: 28 June 2012 04:06 PM #41

Red Shirted Ensign - 21 June 2011 02:49 PM

Like RIMM, Nokia is going through a major strategic shift, with massive internal and external challenges. They have announced they will have Windows 7 phones by the end of this year. Will it matter? Why?

Windows 7 by the end of the year??? Or did you mean Windows 8?

• Posted: 28 June 2012 04:18 PM #42

greedyn00b - 28 June 2012 07:06 PM
    Red Shirted Ensign - 21 June 2011 02:49 PM

Like RIMM, Nokia is going through a major strategic shift, with massive internal and external challenges. They have announced they will have Windows 7 phones by the end of this year. Will it matter? Why?

Windows 7 by the end of the year??? Or did you mean Windows 8?

Never mind wink New guy, hadn’t seen this thread before, didn’t notice that comment was from almost a year ago…