AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 24 July 2011 07:54 PM #16

Wait a sec.  What about our favorite stupid overvalued stocks, Mercel?

Also - our politicians were dumb enough to take us to July 24 with no resolution.  I suppose it’s partly the electorate’s fault.  We vote ‘em all in, and we hate ‘em the whole time…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 July 2011 07:58 PM #17

Mav - 24 July 2011 10:54 PM

Wait a sec.  What about our favorite stupid overvalued stocks, Mercel?

Also - our politicians were dumb enough to take us to July 24 with no resolution.  I suppose it’s partly the electorate’s fault.  We vote ‘em all in, and we hate ‘em the whole time…

AMZN and NFLX mostly retained their price targets.  I wrote the WSJ today, asking why they’re not writing about these inflated balloons relative to AAPL.  I painted a pretty picture for him too in the form of a chart :-D

Posted: 24 July 2011 08:00 PM #18

Mercel - let’s just agree that AMZN and NFLX spoil all the parties they attend, and mess up overall macro market analysis and the rules of common sense when invoked.

Not to say they’re the only offenders, of course.  But they’re just so damn easy to pick on!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 July 2011 08:06 PM #19

Mav - 24 July 2011 11:00 PM

Mercel - let’s just agree that AMZN and NFLX spoil all the parties they attend, and mess up overall macro market analysis and the rules of common sense when invoked.

Not to say they’re the only offenders, of course.  But they’re just so damn easy to pick on!

It’s like a second set of books—it’s just a matter of time before it’s discovered the Emperor has no clothes…

Posted: 24 July 2011 08:41 PM #20

But this week?  NFLX reports tomorrow, and I can’t see myself buying puts until the day after earnings, when NFLX might but might not inexplicably skyrocket in AH.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 July 2011 08:48 PM #21

Can someone explain to me why netflix is seemingly the only firm in the US to offer such a wide variety of video streaming online at a low monthly rate? Is it because of the huge subscriber base they already had? Is that their single competitive advantage?

Hulu plus apparently has close to a million paid subscribers, is that why Apple is sniffing around them? as well as the rumored long lasting content rights?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 24 July 2011 08:53 PM #22

adamthompson3232 - 24 July 2011 11:46 PM

In unrelated news, my good buddy from high school (seriously), Nyjer Morgan, had an interesting night last night. If he could just get his head straightened out he’d be making $5M per year. As it is, he makes less than $500K.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=93792

By that video it looks like you need a new buddy.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 24 July 2011 08:59 PM #23

A person really should be mostly sorted out (as a person) by around 30, IMHO.  Of course, the same goes for the kind of personality from 30 going forward.

Sorry, but that thing going on after the catch?  Might not get a fine, but that really wasn’t necessary.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:07 PM #24

Here’s a new half-right, half-wrong article from the WSJ that declares that since Apple is outgrowing the smartphone market, it isn’t growing as quickly as the market (Scott Forstall WWDC imitation: “uh…wha-what?”)

Article’s called, “Rising Phone Tide Lifts Apple.”  So you get a sense of some of the misunderstandings to follow right there.

[ Edited: 24 July 2011 09:12 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:16 PM #25

space has been let

[ Edited: 24 July 2011 09:23 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:26 PM #26

The estimable Warren Buffett may never understand AAPL, but I think he’s definitely on the right track with this comment of his during a recent CNBC appearance:

I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection.

[ Edited: 24 July 2011 09:30 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:28 PM #27

NASDAQ down 22+, so this week might be one last opportunity to buy AAPL below 400…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:34 PM #28

Mav - 25 July 2011 12:26 AM

The estimable Warren Buffett may never understand AAPL, but I think he’s definitely on the right track with this comment of his during a recent CNBC appearance:

I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection.

I am sure you meant to say inestimable. Anyway that was radical!  Heck this other guy is moderate in comparison

[ Edited: 24 July 2011 09:38 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:46 PM #29

No no, estimable still means “worthy of esteem.”  Great guy, great businessman, sure.  I don’t find him incomparable because he doesn’t get AAPL.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 July 2011 10:28 PM #30

Mav - 25 July 2011 12:26 AM

Yeah, well, Congress is the body that “just passes laws” in the US, and in this case it would take a hell of a lot more than that; it would require a constitutional amendment to change the eligibility of elected representatives in Article I. So you’d need 67 senators and 291 congressmen - who can’t seem to agree on the color of the sky, let alone anything important like their reelection - to just propose such an amendment, and then get 38 state legislatures, most of whom are addicted to federal dollar$ like crack, to ratify cutting off their drug connection.

This process has only occurred 27 times in 224 years.

So yeah, when Mr. Disingenuous of Omaha, who claims to pay less taxes than his secretary (USDA Prime Bullshit) talks with his folksy, charming simplicity, it doesn’t always comport with reality.

When Mr. Buffett speaks of (non-tech) investing principles, listen. But when he speaks of macroeconomics, fiscal policy, politics, or anything else outside of his purview, smile and nod out of respect, but ignore what he says.

[ Edited: 24 July 2011 10:30 PM by JDSoCal ]

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007