Meta and other tech giants agreed to form a group that will formulate metaverse industry standards, Apple was not present in the forum.
A report from “The Markup” indicates that Facebook uses “Meta Pixel” trackers to receive patient information from hospital websites.
Meta has recently announced NFT sales in its Horizon Worlds platform. Many say the proposed metaverse content commissions are too high.
Meta announced the removal of over 400 accounts and pages for misinformation ahead of the Philippines election. The election is set for May 9.
- Sci-Fi Stuff We're Waiting For: From Immersive Reality to Robot Companions
- I'm Pretty Much a Doctor Now? — Mac Geek Gab 917
- Mice and Other Computer and Tablet Input Devices
- Focus Mode and Thwarted Criminals – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-23
- Thursdays with Bob: (Lack of) Tech Support – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-24
- Geeky Reactions to Apple's Peek Performance Event — Mac Geek Gab 918
Companies Apple and Meta have fallen victim to a recent hacking attack, supplying user data to people posing as the authorities.
On Monday, a Moscow court declared Meta an extremist organization. The company must adhere to new laws if it wishes to get the ban lifted.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a lawsuit against Meta. It seeks civil penalties due to Facebook’s facial recognition practices.
Split Payments in Messenger is rolling out to people, the company announced on Wednesday, as well as other features such as Vanish Mode.
Facebook had dreams of launching its own cryptocurrency called Diem (formerly Libra) but the company has called it quits (link to original PR piece here, commentary from The Verge below).
The sale of Diem’s assets marks the end of an effort that, in retrospect, was doomed from the start. Facebook, which now goes by Meta, created the apps that would have been the main way people used the token. So even though Facebook formed the Libra Association to govern the token with other companies, people were immediately fearful that Libra would make the controversial tech giant even more powerful. Plus, members of the Libra Association started to drop out, just months after the group had been announced.
- Gossip Factories and Other Manufacturing – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-22
- Apple's Peek Performance Event, and Bryan Spends Some Money
- Security Stuff: Protecting Your Data and Staying Safe Online
- Security Friday: News and a Protection Checklist – TMO Daily Observations 2022-02-25
- Living that Cord Cutter Life
- A Cool Stuff Found Cornucopia — Mac Geek Gab 916
End-to-end encrypted chats are now available for all users of Facebook Messenger, the company announced. This includes group chats and calls.
Last year, we announced that we began testing end-to-end encryption for group chats, including voice and video calls. We’re excited to announce that this feature is available to everyone. Now you can choose to connect with your friends and family in a private and secure way.
These secure chats remain opt-in only, instead of encrypted by default like actual private messaging apps.